The Law And Police in Canada-

Gurn

A sad start to this thread:

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/1-rcmp-officer-killed-2-seriously-injured-while-executing-search-warrant-in-coquitlam-b-c-1.6573723

One RCMP officer was killed and two others were seriously injured while police were executing a search warrant at a home in Coquitlam, B.C., Friday.

The suspect was also shot and sustained serious injuries, according to an official statement issued by Mounties Friday afternoon.

"The attending officers became engaged in an altercation with a man which resulted in multiple officers being injured and the man being shot," B.C. RCMP spokesperson Staff Sgt. Kris Clark said in a media release.

"Emergency Health Services transported all injured to hospital, but one of the officers was shot and succumbed to their injuries."

Mounties said the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed and will investigate the officer's death and the injuries to the other officers.

The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. – which is the civilian agency that looks into all incidents involving police that result in death or serious injury to a member of the public – has been called to investigate the actions of police.

The neighbouring city of Pitt Meadows confirmed on social media(opens in a new tab) Friday afternoon that an officer from the Ridge Meadows detachment – which serves the cities of Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge – had been killed in the line of duty.

"Our heartfelt condolences go to the families of the victims as well as our local officers," the post reads.

Authorities said little about what unfolded on Glen Drive in Coquitlam Friday morning, but from the start, reports were dire.

Premier David Eby was addressing the Union of B.C. Municipalities convention as the incident was occurring, and he began his remarks to reporters after the speech by acknowledging that there had been a "critical incident" in Coquitlam involving the RCMP.

Earlier in the day, police said they were responding to an "ongoing incident" that closed a main road in Coquitlam. Witnesses reported hearing shots fired as part of a standoff at a condo building.

Coquitlam RCMP said only that Glen Drive had been closed between Pinetree Way and High Street, and asked the public to avoid the area.

Heavily armed officers from the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team could be seen at the scene, and witnesses told CTV News they had observed a police officer limping out of the building with blood all over his leg, and another person being stretchered out.

The area where the incident occurred is Coquitlam's civic centre. City hall is about a block away, and the city's Glen Pine Pavilion is located within the section of road that was closed.

On its official Twitter account, the city announced that as a result of Friday's incident, all programs and activities at the pavilion would be cancelled for the day

coquitlam-police-incident-1-6573725-1695

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Upsetting and heartbreaking. Respect for their authority and an appreciation of the work police do is waning more and more. Poor man will not go home to his family tonite. 

We need stiffer penalties and less leniency in the justice system. Examples need to be made of these criminals , serious examples.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Upsetting and heartbreaking. Respect for their authority and an appreciation of the work police do is waning more and more. Poor man will not go home to his family tonite. 

We need stiffer penalties and less leniency in the justice system. Examples need to be made of these criminals , serious examples.

My nephew serves as a police officer in the Coquitlam detachment. Needless to say, he’s prettier shaken up.

• Sad 2

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/man-killed-in-fort-mcmurray-in-altercation-with-police-after-he-shot-a-woman/ar-AA1hp7RC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=636317f418fa474187dd127f27d281c0&ei=50

"

FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. — A man has been killed after an altercation with police officers in northern Alberta.

Wood Buffalo RCMP were called to a firearms complaint in the community of Beaconwood Place in Fort McMurray at about 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Police say a man had approached a woman at her residence and shot her.

They say the man fled in his vehicle as he kept shooting.

Police say there was an altercation between the man and officers that resulted in shots being fired — and the man was killed.

No police officers have been injured and the woman has since been released from hospital.

RCMP say it has notified the director of law enforcement and started its own internal review process.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team is also investigating the actions of police during the call.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 28, 202

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/man-killed-in-fort-mcmurray-in-altercation-with-police-after-he-shot-a-woman/ar-AA1hp7RC?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=636317f418fa474187dd127f27d281c0&ei=50

"

FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. — A man has been killed after an altercation with police officers in northern Alberta.

Wood Buffalo RCMP were called to a firearms complaint in the community of Beaconwood Place in Fort McMurray at about 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Police say a man had approached a woman at her residence and shot her.

They say the man fled in his vehicle as he kept shooting.

Police say there was an altercation between the man and officers that resulted in shots being fired — and the man was killed.

No police officers have been injured and the woman has since been released from hospital.

RCMP say it has notified the director of law enforcement and started its own internal review process.

The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team is also investigating the actions of police during the call.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Sept. 28, 202

Fitting outcome.

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/charges-pending-against-members-of-football-team-after-sex-assault-at-alberta-school/ar-AA1i008F?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=e3cf208a74104f29b7e67f089e0fb431&ei=113

"

LETHBRIDGE, Alta. — Police in southern Alberta say they have arrested four boys after a sexual assault in a high school locker room.

Lethbridge police say the assault happened Wednesday after regular school hours.

They say the accused and the 16-year-old complainant are all members of the school's football team.

Police say it was not a random assault, and the suspects are all under 18.

They say charges are pending.

Three boys were arrested at the school, while the fourth was arrested after he went to the police station.

Richmond RCMP is getting heat for tying to promote safey. They released an ad against distracted driving.

The ad has a oblivious pedestrian due to ear buds and a hoody. The gripe is that it is victim blaming as the pedestrian is within the law.

I feel bad for the RCMP here, just because the pedestrian didn't break the law the ad was trying to show that many, and I agree, many people that walk with ear buds and hoodies are not aware of their surrondings.

i drove in the city for 2 decades, i have a clean driving record but once in a while I would make small mistakes.. maybe start to turn right on a red when at the same time the crosswalk light  says walk. Pedestrians would mean mug me and shake a finger....i would often roll do the window and say " my bad" followed by " make sure not to be dead right".

Just because you have the right to walk, make sure to look both ways, like we learned in school. You are not tougher than a car and will lose in the impact, you can then float away saying "but I was right!"

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/richmond-rcmp-in-social-media-storm-over-pedestrian-safety-video-1.6605902

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Richmond RCMP is getting heat for tying to promote safey. They released an ad against distracted driving.

The ad has a oblivious pedestrian due to ear buds and a hoody. The gripe is that it is victim blaming as the pedestrian is within the law.

I feel bad for the RCMP here, just because the pedestrian didn't break the law the ad was trying to show that many, and I agree, many people that walk with ear buds and hoodies are not aware of their surrondings.

i drove in the city for 2 decades, i have a clean driving record but once in a while I would make small mistakes.. maybe start to turn right on a red when at the same time the crosswalk light  says walk. Pedestrians would mean mug me and shake a finger....i would often roll do the window and say " my bad" followed by " make sure not to be dead right".

Just because you have the right to walk, make sure to look both ways, like we learned in school. You are not tougher than a car and will lose in the impact, you can then float away saying "but I was right!"

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/richmond-rcmp-in-social-media-storm-over-pedestrian-safety-video-1.6605902

Just more misplaced outrage from a miserable portion of society that merely exists to complain about everything that doesn't completely adhere to their myopic worldview. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/hundreds-arrested-for-shoplifting-in-latest-vancouver-police-blitz/ar-AA1iY7cR?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3ead98ada7ac4992b9ad88474a408249&ei=13

"

VANCOUVER — Retailers across Canada are concerned about an uptick in violence as a "tsunami" of retail theft plagues businesses that threatens the safety of employees and customers, says the general manager for loss prevention at London Drugs. 

Tony Hunt told a news conference Friday at Vancouver police headquarters that most retailers have seen at least a 20 per cent increase in retail theft in recent years, so he is grateful city police are cracking down on the problem. 

"Our primary concern as employers is the abuse of front line employees with aggressive and violent behaviours with increasing frequency and intensity," he said. "This isn't a Vancouver problem. We're hearing across the province, across the country, employees and customers are afraid and this is simply not OK."

This comes as Vancouver police reported on its latest shoplifting crackdown on Friday with 258 arrests, along with the recovery of almost $57,000 in stolen goods and the seizure of 26 weapons.

Vancouver Staff Sgt. Mario Mastropieri said the arrests were made during a 16-day operation in September, which was co-ordinated with other Lower Mainland police departments, resulting in another 82 arrests in Delta, Langley, Richmond and Burnaby. 

"As a result of this project, violent shoplifting decreased citywide by 22 per cent during the duration of the project," he told the news conference.

---------------------------------------------------

more at link

5 hours ago, Gurn said:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstories/hundreds-arrested-for-shoplifting-in-latest-vancouver-police-blitz/ar-AA1iY7cR?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=3ead98ada7ac4992b9ad88474a408249&ei=13

"

VANCOUVER — Retailers across Canada are concerned about an uptick in violence as a "tsunami" of retail theft plagues businesses that threatens the safety of employees and customers, says the general manager for loss prevention at London Drugs. 

Tony Hunt told a news conference Friday at Vancouver police headquarters that most retailers have seen at least a 20 per cent increase in retail theft in recent years, so he is grateful city police are cracking down on the problem. 

"Our primary concern as employers is the abuse of front line employees with aggressive and violent behaviours with increasing frequency and intensity," he said. "This isn't a Vancouver problem. We're hearing across the province, across the country, employees and customers are afraid and this is simply not OK."

This comes as Vancouver police reported on its latest shoplifting crackdown on Friday with 258 arrests, along with the recovery of almost $57,000 in stolen goods and the seizure of 26 weapons.

Vancouver Staff Sgt. Mario Mastropieri said the arrests were made during a 16-day operation in September, which was co-ordinated with other Lower Mainland police departments, resulting in another 82 arrests in Delta, Langley, Richmond and Burnaby. 

"As a result of this project, violent shoplifting decreased citywide by 22 per cent during the duration of the project," he told the news conference.

---------------------------------------------------

more at link

Chains are using theft to mask other issues, report says

https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/business/crime-spree-retailers-are-actually-overstating-the-extent-of-theft-report-says/index.html

And several more articles and pieces exposing these corporate talking points...

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/18/business/retail-shoplifting-shrink-walgreens/index.html

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/26/organized-retail-crime-and-theft-not-increasing-much-nrf-study-finds.html

https://newrepublic.com/article/176339/behind-shoplifting-panic-walgreens-target

https://www.discourseblog.com/p/the-moral-panic-over-retail-theft

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went out to my car today, to go get my shots; and find my car door open.

Seat was pushed back, center console open-nothing of value missing, as I don't store any valuable stuff in the car.

Occurred after 11 pm, and before daybreak.

Wander to the cop shop and let them know what happened, didn't file a complaint; as no point, no witnesses, no video, nothing missing.

Just wanted to give them the heads up.

Lady, at the front, started with the "Were your doors locked routine".

I looked at her, shook my head, while grimacing and replied "I'm not the one doing illegal things- not big on me having to change my behaviour"

plus, if you lock the door there is a good chance the window would have been broken.

Still felt a bit like 'victim' blaming to me-same as all those ads on tv and radio- "Lock your doors, remove valuables'

I'd much rather hear and see adds that say 'If you break into a car, we will catch you and you will do time. Crime is just not worth it"

You know-target the actual law breakers.

A different story...

My son and two of his friends went to the park to play basketball. One of the boys found an empty bottle and a half eaten chocolate bar on the park bench. Assuming it was trash, he threw it in a garbage can. The boys put their stuff on the bench and started to play.

A family was also there playing ball hockey, maybe ten or so kids of varying age and two adults. The father went over to the bench to find his chocolate bar missing. He asked the boys what happened and they told him their mistake. He decided to get angry about it, took my son's new cell phone and threw it on the pavement, breaking it.

My son ran home crying and told me what had happened. We went back to the park and I confronted the father. His version of the event was the same, so I asked him why he thought his reaction was warranted. He is, after all, supposed to be an adult. Needless to say, he grew more irate and belligerent as he worked up the courage to threaten me. I told him I'm not a ten year old boy and that he was going to stand there like the coward he is while my wife called the police.

Long story longer, the cops came and did nothing. Despite the woman who runs the community center offering to show the police footage from the surveillance system, despite two other adults also playing basketball witnessing it all, the police claimed it was a a matter of my word against his. $1'000.00 cell phone destroyed over a half eaten chocolate bar. 

This obviously wasn't a serious crime, just an infantile man throwing a fit and bullying three boys over a mistake. Perhaps it wasn't worth the police officer's time.

It's sad when an officer is injured or killed performing his duty, and it's sad that some people view law enforcement with disdain.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Maninthebox said:

A different story...

My son and two of his friends went to the park to play basketball. One of the boys found an empty bottle and a half eaten chocolate bar on the park bench. Assuming it was trash, he threw it in a garbage can. The boys put their stuff on the bench and started to play.

A family was also there playing ball hockey, maybe ten or so kids of varying age and two adults. The father went over to the bench to find his chocolate bar missing. He asked the boys what happened and they told him their mistake. He decided to get angry about it, took my son's new cell phone and threw it on the pavement, breaking it.

My son ran home crying and told me what had happened. We went back to the park and I confronted the father. His version of the event was the same, so I asked him why he thought his reaction was warranted. He is, after all, supposed to be an adult. Needless to say, he grew more irate and belligerent as he worked up the courage to threaten me. I told him I'm not a ten year old boy and that he was going to stand there like the coward he is while my wife called the police.

Long story longer, the cops came and did nothing. Despite the woman who runs the community center offering to show the police footage from the surveillance system, despite two other adults also playing basketball witnessing it all, the police claimed it was a a matter of my word against his. $1'000.00 cell phone destroyed over a half eaten chocolate bar. 

This obviously wasn't a serious crime, just an infantile man throwing a fit and bullying three boys over a mistake. Perhaps it wasn't worth the police officer's time.

It's sad when an officer is injured or killed performing his duty, and it's sad that some people view law enforcement with disdain.

We had a business beside our high school. A fight broke out in the alley during lunch hour. My wife called the RCMP about it and they said they were busy and could she go out and try and stop the fight. I had an employee intimidated into handing cigs out to the local gang. Had it on video and the crown prosecuter would not press charges as he referred it to 'ill advised extension of credit'. Not BS'ing! Caught a 54 year old man shoplifting after a long career inside my store. Crown had him write me a letter of apology. I figured he got away with + $2000 worth of merchandize. 

I sat on the community policing committee. We had 2 RCMP wives do a presentation fearing for their husbands safety if asked to stop skateboarders from running their boards over park benches. These kids were 12 - 13 years old. 

I have been fingerprinted twice in the last week by the RCMP.

I was a bit disappointed that it is now digital. You just put your hands on a little scanner.

I wanted the ink, roll each finger treatment, like I've seen in the moives.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I was a bit disappointed that it is now digital. You just put your hands on a little scanner.

Why twice?

27 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I too, was disappointed, when I had mine done for my temp janitor for the school board gig.

Also put me in a bit of a moral quandary. I believe in innocence, till proven guilty, but had to prove my innocence.

"the things we do for money

I'll never understand"

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Why twice?

Had to go back and get vulnerable sectors check after doing the crimnal check last week. Think I should have had paperwork done for both the first time so I wouldn't have had to go back.

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Once for the new job, and once when he 'did' an inside job. ?

It was a bit of fun. Tough old RCMP guy that was cool to be chatting with.

• Cheers 3

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Had to go back and get vulnerable sectors check after doing the crimnal check last week. Think I should have had paperwork done for both the first time so I wouldn't have had to go back.

It was a bit of fun. Tough old RCMP guy that was cool to be chatting with.

Sounds like its moving along nicely. How's the commute?