[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers | Fri May 10 - 7pm pt | Round 2 Game 2 Canucks lead series 1-0

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Tonight, we are going to score 1st, and we're going to put them back on their heels. Including the regular season, we are now 5 and 0 against the Oilers this year and that has to be starting to work on their minds. No stupid penalties tonight, keep out of the box. Get the puck deep and work their D in the corner. They are not a good defensive team inside their own zone as we saw all season long. They struggle with speed on the forecheck and are highly subject to turnovers.

5-3 Canucks and head to Edmonton up 2 - 0 in the series.

For all the doubters:

jim carrey hip thrusts GIF

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

image.jpeg.b83ef45412e47c671bea61f0d01cb43b.jpeg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's entirely possible that none of these 13 players will get into a game for the Canucks in the playoffs. Call-ups from the AHL typically serve as "Black Aces" for the NHL roster. These are players not necessarily expected to play but are on standby to step into the lineup in case of injury.

For young prospects like winger Jonathan Lekkerimäki and defencemen Elias Pettersson, they get the opportunity to be around the team during the playoff run and soak up the experience, even if it's unlikely they'll get called upon to play. There's an outside shot that Lekkerimäki might get called upon if the Canucks have significant injuries to their top-six but that would be a tough spot to step into for a young player.

A player like Vasily Podkolzin, however, is much more likely to get into the Canucks' lineup even if no one gets injured. If a fourth-liner like Sam Lafferty or Phil Di Giuseppe falters, Podkolzin could easily step into the lineup in his place.

While Podkolzin is likely first on the depth chart among this group of forwards, both Arshdeep Bains and Linus Karlsson saw time with the Canucks in the NHL this season, so could also be options. Meanwhile, Aatu Räty and Max Sasson were two of Abbotsford's best forwards this season.

Of course, if Räty or Sasson get into the lineup, that would mean the Canucks were facing some severe injury problems.

On defence, both Matt Irwin and Christian Wolanin have a decent amount of NHL experience, while Cole McWard showed some potential in a brief stint last season. They'll be behind Noah Juulsen and Mark Friedman on the depth chart.

If goaltender Zach Sawchenko has to get into the lineup, then things have truly gone awry for the Canucks, who have already had to use three goaltenders in the playoffs. Sawchenko is behind not only Arturs Silovs and Casey DeSmith on the depth chart but also Nikita Tolopilo, who had been previously called up to Vancouver to serve as the team's emergency backup goaltender.

The most interesting element is who didn't get the call, though it's possible that injuries played a role. Defenceman Jett Woo, for instance, missed the end of the regular season and the entire playoffs for Abbotsford with an ankle injury, so he's understandably not available. But Akito Hirose also isn't among the call-ups and neither is Sheldon Dries, who played 63 NHL games for the Canucks last season. 

If they make SCF, some will play.  Injuries gonna happen. 

2 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

If they make SCF, some will play.  Injuries gonna happen. 

Best comment Coach Tocchet said the other day was, paraphrasing, it doesn’t matter, the next “man up” needs to be ready to play.’

Next man up. This is the way. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Best comment Coach Tocchet said the other day was, paraphrasing, it doesn’t matter, the next “man up” needs to be ready to play.’

Next man up. This is the way. 

thisistheway-memes-e1574459246881.jpg?qu

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

watched a bit of the Sekeres/Price vid, and am now listening to it----- Matt looks like he's got one of those neuro-muscular disease illness.

hopefully it's just a 'rough day' after a late night of toooo much fun.

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Sushi rolls and Macallan. 

I’m a fancy fan. 

:hurhur:

I love MacAllan. My brother in law doesn't. He says it's too smoky, and peaty. That's why I like it.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

I love MacAllan. My brother in law doesn't. He says it's too smoky, and peaty. That's why I like it.

I'd hate to think how he'd find Laphroiag.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

Too peaty? What’s less Peaty than a 15-18 Macallan? 

This is for the Whiskey Thread though. Don’t mean to sidetrack. 

• Upvote 2

Big opportunity to go up 2-0 and make the Oilers REALLY panic. Oh ho if we can do it, I can’t wait to see the meltdown in Oilerville.

My dinner tonight is homemade pizza (Greek), including making the dough myself and margaritas for the nice weather. 

Let’s get it done boys!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Tonight, we are going to score 1st, and we're going to put them back on their heels. Including the regular season, we are now 5 and 0 against the Oilers this year and that has to be starting to work on their minds. No stupid penalties tonight, keep out of the box. Get the puck deep and work their D in the corner. They are not a good defensive team inside their own zone as we saw all season long. They struggle with speed on the forecheck and are highly subject to turnovers.

5-3 Canucks and head to Edmonton up 2 - 0 in the series.

For all the doubters:

jim carrey hip thrusts GIF

GO CANUCKS GO!!!!

they are pure trash in their own zone and defending off the rush

their reads are so bad they're borderline illiterate

the land rover defender is more reliable than any of edmontons defenders (except ekholm)

edmonton has once again failed to ice an nhl caliber defense and starting goaltender

if mcdavid is contained its all over for them

the key is not sitting back like LA did. their vulnerability is defending against speedy entries and a hard forecheck. and skinners reads SUCK off the rush. 

Anyway canucks 8, edmonton 1. and i think its interesting that we'll have chosen to go with our 1st powerplay unit. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I love RTs comments about Edmonton is going to come out hard today.

So casual. Yeah Ofcourse they will. So will we though. 

It's that confidence and calm swagger that was missing 

We used to say oh no, they're gonna be upset about last game and going to come out hard. We need to weather the storm. 

Now it's like yeah they're gonna come out hard... Why wouldn't they. But so will we. 

Total boss move

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

its a different story for me if juulsen got that experience this past year. but he was in and out of the lineup a ton, and also played some sheltered minutes.

the stakes are too high in the playoffs to be learning on the job. obviously if someone gets injured its a different story, he has to step in. but now isnt the time to be messing around with trying out our 7th defenseman to give him experience.

give him that experience next year, in the regular season. 

He played 54 games in the regular season - 124 NHL games overall.

1 hour ago, Pianoman said:

It wouldn’t be a penalty even then. If a player takes a shot and hit someone with their follow through, it is not a penalty even if there is blood. It happened in the Nashville series, a Canuck player took a swipe at a puck and hit the face of a predator who was falling down and caused blood. No penalty. 

What about when he tries to retrieve his stick, realizes it’s stuck in Dak’s helmet then proceeds to shake it violently in a mock attempt to get his twig. It looked like he wanted to find out if the ear strap or his neck would give out first.  At what point is that a high stick?