[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Steaming Coilers, May 16, 7PM PDT (10EDT), Rogers Arena - the STOP PLAYING SO TIMID AND SMASH THEIR NARDS GAME!

It was the Best of Times! It was the Worst of Times!  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Coiler you would most like stuffed in a porta-potty and set on fire after the game tomorrow?

• McJesus - well he would be on everyone's top 10 so getting it out of the way!
    • Evander "I-will-bet-on-2-dogs-fucking" Kane
    • Corey "yes, I do enjoy being spanked with a tennis racket while wearing fishnet stockings and 6" heels" Perry
    • Zack "I will fight Zeke any time - NOT!" Hyman
    • None of the worthy contestants above, see my vote below
  2. 2. When will a Canadian Team finally win a Cup?

• This Year Baby - Our Beloved Canucks will go all the way!
    • When the Angel of Death visits Gary Bettman while conducting his morning constitution!
    • When Kelly Sutherland and the rest of the Donkeys are banned from reffing!
    • When the Quebec Nordiques are Resurrected!
    • None of the above, see my answer below!

44 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

If you see a crazed blonde wild woman jump onto the ice to start kicking Oilers in the groin...it's just me.

I'm so nervous. Excited. Anxious. Elated. Hostile. 

Playoffs bring out both the best and the worst in me.

LET'S GO BOYS.....YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT DIRTY BARREL OF CRUDE THEY CALL THE OILERS.

This is my theme song right now....

Great Album. 
Spray E Kane with bear spray plz and thank you. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

i would love to see lekkerimaki play a game with ep.. at this point it's not going to hurt... and does tocchet have something against podz?? i would have thought he would be in before aman and karlsson..

• Like 1

Go Canucks Go!!!!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

i would love to see lekkerimaki play a game with ep.. at this point it's not going to hurt... and does tocchet have something against podz?? i would have thought he would be in before aman and karlsson..

Why Lekkerimaki over Aman and Karlsson? Lekkermaki has no NHL experience at all. Aman and Karlsson have both been fine. I thought Karlsson has more upside atm.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

I think this game decides the series. Whether its in 6 or 7?

The Canucks need to play to win. Playing to not lose will be their death.  

I have that feeling too.

19 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

Why Lekkerimaki over Aman and Karlsson? Lekkermaki has no NHL experience at all. Aman and Karlsson have both been fine. I thought Karlsson has more upside atm.

we need some skill on that EP line to hopefully get them going.. mikheyev karlsson laffety aman ain't gonna get him going.. i mean i would have put podz there to try before karlsson but who knows wtf tocchet is thinking.. we have 3 skilled forwards and 9 grinders atm

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

A Random Hockey Story 

Hide contents

Longest NHL Games

10 Longest NHL Games in History

January 9, 2020 by Jennifer Jones

The National Hockey League (NHL) welcomes professional players from both Canada and the United States to test their skills against one another on the ice. As with other sports, sometimes games are pretty straightforward, with a few easy points and a quick conclusion. But sometimes, teams are too evenly matched for a fast resolution and the game can spill into overtime.

So, just how long are the longest NHL games in history? Today we’ll look at 10 of the longest NHL games and rank them according to how many minutes were on the scoreboard when they finished. We’ll also learn some interesting facts about each one!

10. New York Islanders 3, Washington Capitals 2

image.png.001c9bdb2e0aa89d96b8778d64390668.png

This game wound up being so memorable that it was given its own name: “Easter Epic”. The game got this name because it ran long enough to end right at 1:58 in the morning on Easter Sunday, and everyone in attendance could hardly believe it when the game finally ended. Both teams were exhausted and relieved to be finished at last!

Did you know? 

The Easter Epic was one of the games featured in Greatest NHL Moments Presented by Coors Light and Pepsi Zero Sugar.

9. Montreal Canadiens 2, New York Rangers 1

image.thumb.png.5b55e07233cb1023d2cac53101dbe244.png

The Montreal Canadiens or le Club de hockey Canadien were successful starting out, winning Stanley cups in 1930 and 1931. This game was the first one between the Montreal Canadiens and the New York Rangers, and was also the first in NHL history to run on for four overtime periods! Lorne “Gump” Worsley of the Rangers suffered a knee injury in the first game of this series, which may have contributed to the team’s loss.

Did you know? 

The Canadiens suffered during the Great Depression, declining to the point where the team owners considered selling them off and sending them to Cleveland, Ohio.

8. Dallas Stars 2, San Jose Sharks 1

image.png.3f9234b70579467750f192690f8dd5e6.png

This game was the longest in the history of the San Jose Shark franchise, and their loss was truly exhausting after more than five hours of play time. Coach Ron Wilson commended his players after the defeat for sticking it out and playing hard for so long. Brenden Morrow of the Dallas Stars was the one who ended this game by making the winning goal.

Did you know? 

Sharks defense Brian Campbell was sent to sit in the penalty box after he was caught deliberately tripping Loui Eriksson.

7. Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Detroit Red Wings 2

image.thumb.png.8b987d8feb86be29b3c62798764a623b.png

Also called the Toronto Maple Leaf Hockey Club or simply the Leafs, the victors of this game played over 70 minutes of overtime before scoring the winning point! Jack McLean made the winning goal, which became one of the biggest highlights of his career. However, his teammate Bud Poile insisted that he had actually scored the goal despite the fact that McLean got credit for it.

Did you know? 

The Toronto Maple Leafs are one of the “Original Six” NHL teams to endure through the Great Depression.

6. Vancouver Canucks 5, Dallas Stars 4

image.png.ca58b587637ca2f53c79468116ebffb8.png

Eight combined goals were made by the two teams in less than an hour, but the following doldrums ensued for approximately 85 more minutes. Twin brothers Henrik and Daniel Sedin wound up successfully scoring the winning point. Goalie Robert Luongo was traded through a series of unlucky teams and had to wait a long time to get to the postseason, but this game was one to remember!

Did you know? 

During this match, goalie Robert Luongo faced a record number of playoff game shots!

5. Pittsburgh Penguins 3, Washington Capitals 2

image.png.34e18739fe02a51fe6fcbc406d658649.png

Mario Lemieux of the Pittsburgh Penguins and Todd Krygier of the Washington Capitals actually got so frustrated during this match that they got penalized for fighting. Krygier used his glove to strike Lemieux in the face, and Lemieux retaliated by throwing him down on the ice. Lemieux was ejected from the match as a result, adding to the memorability of the multiple-overtime game!

Did you know? 

Forward Petr Nedved scored the winning goal that brought this game to a close.

4. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim 4, Dallas Stars 3

image.thumb.png.0b6f1ee7b6cce480511d7359e977823d.png

This game appeared to be all set for the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim to take a quick, clean victory, but then Brenden Morrow of the Dallas Stars scored a late goal that pushed the game into overtime. From there, the game dragged on to become the longest game in Mighty Ducks history. When it finally ended, Steve Levy of ESPN announced “The game that would not end, just has”.

Did you know? 

Petr Sykora finally scored the winning point for this game, but not until 48 seconds into the fifth overtime!

3. Philadelphia Flyers 2, Pittsburgh Penguins 1

image.png.6315504b9f077c9f908624c20730c04f.png

This game between the Philadelphia Flyers and the Pittsburgh Penguins turned out to be the longest game in the modern era of the NHL! Most people peg the NHL’s modern era as beginning in 1934-1944. This game, which included five overtimes, stretched on partially because the players got increasingly cautious and afraid to make a mistake that would cause their team to lose! Ron Tugnutt, the Penguins’ goalie, said that Philadelphia had always been their nemesis.

Did you know? 

Tugnutt also pointed out how exhausted everyone was, saying: “It wasn’t pretty hockey.”

2. Toronto Maple Leafs 1, Boston Bruins 0

image.png.32424eafb3e419c4a99252a5465442cf.png

This game went on for a staggering six overtimes before a single point was scored! The game actually went on for so long that the teams’ managers, Toronto’s Conn Smythe and Boston’s Art Ross, would have been willing to decide the fate of the match with a coin toss if the players had agreed! However, the players were determined to see the game through to the end by that point and refused to flip a coin.

Did you know? 

This game took place during the Toronto Maple Leafs’ 17th season in the NHL.

1. Detroit Red Wings 1, Montreal Maroons 0

image.png.318969296f46320e14af7f243a83ea49.png

The 1936 game between the Detroit Red Wings and the Montreal Maroons was the longest NHL game ever. The game drew around 10,000 fans who wound up watching for much longer than they anticipated when it took the team two days to score even one goal! This match included nine periods of hockey, and the game got progressively harder as the ice got rougher. In fact, this single game nearly lasted for the equivalent of three regulation games!

Did you know? 

The Maroons indulged in periodic sips of coffee and brandy in order to keep going for the full duration of this game.

Overview

Well, it looks like the Lotto Ticket luck ran out, and the wet blankets amongst us pissed themselves in glee when the Coilers scored with 38 seconds left. I for one almost cracked into the special bottle of scotch I have been saving for when the Canucks win this series -  but managed to refrain.

For all the blowhards both on other forums, this forum, pundits around the globe chuffing over how the mighty Coilers were going to STEAMROLL out beloved Canucks and McJesus and DryCrotch need only send out their jock straps to beat our boys, it took an OT and a late, late goal to not have been swept by our Beloved Team. Oh the heart-ache and roller-coaster ride the last game was. I think there is a new hatred / rivalry brewing, yessiree ... instead of the Blackhawks, we now have the Coilers loathe with a passion. 

We need more players like Connor "Little Big Man" Garland. His motor is always running and is coming in clutch. Listed at 5'-8" he is dragging the Canucks into the fight alongside JT Miller, Boeser, General Zeke and a few others. Forechecks like a demon, plays in the toughest areas and was key on both Canucks goals. MORE OF THAT PLEASE from more than just Garly!

Tic Toc teased the Leki might be an option along with Podz. Why not I say, why the fuck not! Put Podz and Leki on a line with Petey and see what happens. 

Quotes of the day:

“I played the game, too, and when you’re at the bench, you’re just looking at how hard this guy works,” said Tocchet, who also guided Garland in Arizona. “What he does should be inspiring. There have been games where he’s done his thing and guys got going. “That’s what we’re looking for. That’s exactly what we’re looking for.” 

“We need five or six guys to get going here, I mean, it’s the Stanley Cup Playoffs,” stated the head coach. “Some guys, I don’t know if they thought it was the playoffs. We can’t play with 12 guys. We’ve got to figure it out quick.” ... Tocchet on the 5-6 passengers that are currently on the Canucks rosters. 

“It was hard getting to sleep last night,” Pettersson said, "I want to play my best hockey every game. I mean, just going through a little adversity. I’m trying to play well (but) it’s not going my way. And then at the end of the day, what can I do? Just try to play the next game better. I can’t dwell on bad games or not my best performance previous games.”

Media

You know the drill, BUY A TICKET and go support our Boyz, bring your Signs, VUVUZELAS, Water Cannons, etc , and see if we can't raise the decibel level to 140dB's. If the opportunity presents itself, hose down McWhiner, Dry-my-Saddle and especially Corey "Yes-I-would-love-a-kick-in-the-balls" Perry. 

TV: Sportsnet Pacific, SN, TNT, truTV, MAX, CBC, TVAS

Radio: SportsNet 650

Streaming: lots on various Reddit threads, here are a few sites (results may vary)

https://reddit.nhlbite.com/live

https://nhlwebcast.com/

https://v2.sportsurge.to/nhlstreams

https://nhlstream.net/

By the Numbers

Score Prediction

Canucks 5 - Coilers 1 @Captain Hughes scores the winner

What the Bookies are Saying

Reveal hidden contents

Oilers-vs-Canucks-Game-1-prediction,-odds,-pick,-how-to-watch-Stanley-Cup-Playoffs

It is all tied up as the series shifts to British Columbia as the Edmonton Oilers face the Vancouver Canucks on Thursday for Game 5. We’re here to share our NHL odds series, make an Oilers-Canucks Game 5 prediction, and pick while showing you how to watch.

The Oilers defeated the Canucks 3-2 in Game 4 to even up the series, shifting the pressure back to Vancouver. Ultimately, Game 4 was another one-goal game that was great from start to finish. Leon Draisaitl opened up the scoring when he came off a pass from Connor McDavid to fire a one-timer into the net for a powerplay goal. Amazingly, he became the first Oilers player to begin a postseason with a 9-game point streak since Mark Messier.

The Oilers added to the lead when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins blasted a laser off the bar and into the net. However, the Canucks fought back in the third period after Conor Garland sniped it into the net to cut the deficit to 2-1. Brock Boeser then found an angle shot that went into the net to make it 2-2. Yet, the Oilers found a way to win it in the most heart-stopping moment when Evan Bouchard slapped it home to get a go-ahead and eventual game-winning goal.

Stanley Cup Playoffs Odds: Oilers-Canucks Game 5 Odds

Edmonton Oilers: -1.5 (+162)

Moneyline: -152

Vancouver Canucks: +1.5 (-196)

Moneyline: +126

Over: 6.5 (+100)

Under: 6.5 (-122)

Why The Oilers Will Cover The Spread/Win

The Oilers played one of their best games and still almost lost. Overall, they fired 30 shots. But the Oilers also won just 47 percent of their faceoffs. Despite that, they went 1 for 2 on the powerplay. This offense is still one of the most dangerous, high-octane offenses left in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Draisaitl now has eight goals and 12 assists, including six powerplay tallies. Also, he has been excellent in the faceoff circle, winning 93 draws and losing 77. McDavid remains elite, with two goals and 16 assists, including one powerplay tally. However, he has struggled in the faceoff circle, winning just 60 draws and losing 74.

Bouchard now had four goals and 11 assists after his game-winning tally in Game 4. Amazingly, he has potted three game-winning goals. But Zach Hyman is stuck on two goals and 11 assists after a relatively quiet Game 4. Also, Nugent-Hopkins now has two goals and nine assists after his tally.

The Oilers blocked 18 shots in Game 5. Additionally, they leveled 37 hits. It helped make things easier for Calvin Pickard, who won his first playoff start with 19 saves. Pickard is now 1-0 with a 1.57 goals-against average and a save percentage of .917, and may start Game 5.

The Oilers will cover the spread if they can continue putting pressure on the Nucks with numerous shots. Furthermore, they must continue to limit shots and avoid taking too many penalties.

Why The Canucks Will Cover The Spread/Win

The Canucks nearly won despite struggling for a majority of this game. Ultimately, they fired 21 shots at the Oilers. The Canucks also won 53 percent of their faceoffs, giving themselves more chances. Yet, they struggled on the powerplay, going 0 for 3.

J.T. Miller has two goals and nine assists in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, including one powerplay tally. Additionally, he has been elite in the faceoff circle, winning 111 draws and losing 80. But Miller did not control things as well as usual in Game 4. Even worse, he was not able to dictate much of the offense.

Boeser now has seven goals and five assists. Ultimately, he is one of the main weapons on this team and will be a big reason if the Canucks can snag Game 5. Quinn Hughes currently has nine assists. However, he has yet to find the back of the net in the playoffs and is still looking for one.

Elias Lindholm has five goals and three assists in the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Furthermore, he has won 103 draws and lost 98. Elias Pettersson was one of the best players on this team in the regular season. Unfortunately, he has gone quiet in the playoffs, with just one goal and three assists.

The defense did everything possible to overcome a high-powered offense, leveling 48 hits and blocking 15 shots. Now, they hope to do more to help Arthurs Silovs, who made 27 saves. Silovs is currently 4-3 with a 2.71 goals-against average and a save percentage of .907 in the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The Canucks will cover the spread if they can find a way to get more shots on the net. Then, they need to avoid taking penalties.

Final Oilers-Canucks Game 5 Prediction & Pick

There have been four one-goal games. Also, the Oilers are the favorites in this one despite not winning by two goals yet. While some trends are meant to be broken, the Canucks have the firepower and the talent to stay in this one. They will find a way to keep this game close. Consider the fact that the Canucks will probably see this game as a must-win situation, considering they would head back to Edmonton trailing, which is not a good thing. Expect the Canucks to find a way to cover the spread in this game.

Source: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/oilers-vs-canucks-game-5-prediction-odds-pick/ar-BB1mrhst?ocid=BingNewsSerp

Matchup Info

Reveal hidden contents

image.png.8f50e67baaacfd8770da3fbc1e461391.png

image.png.0af45ed8036025d336550c996f25c8d0.png

image.png.dbb6e64dd07310c4b23f704411a2bf77.png

Da Roster

Reveal hidden contents

Sticker by Vancouver Canucks for iOS & Android | GIPHY

giphy.gif&ehk=n7cGN4iFugS1Z%2BmwVM3YCKzu

image.png.856be3474cf024ac226c286f99ea9567.png

9tDAba.gif

Can't finish this bit so perhaps @-AJ-, @OldFaithfulcap, @Chickenspear or some other equally talented PhotoShop / Gif artist can put one up tomorrow when we know who Tic Toc has pencilled in. Can also do the Coilers if you really care but I have taken as stab at their roster tomorrow already. 

Da Zebras

Same as for the Roster, won't be near a computer to update plus won't know until tomorrow in any case, but I am sure someone will post. If it is Sutherland, we will hear @-dlc- scream about it all the way from her house. 

Now for some fun stuff

Canucks / Coilers Brawl 2007-2008 Season

General Zeke and Secret Sauce Doing the "McDavid"

Haha good post. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanuckDownUnder said:

Play like they did for part of last game's third period and there should be no worries.  Need to make them pay on the PP - that really needs improvement over last game.

People still dont realize when the other team's entering the 3rd period up 2-0 their gameplan is actually to hang back and box us out. So we playing the majority of the time in their offensive zone doesn't mean we played well. 

Need to feed off the crowd's energy at the start of the game till the final buzzer.  - forget about  feeling nervous - this is crunch time now...  Hopefully we get ALL 19 players (including goalie) have their best game of the playoffs.  We will need all hands on deck to beat this team.

• Cheers 2

Wednesday night on Edmonton's sports radio talk show they are discussing how the Oilers will match up against Dallas, Time to bring them back to reality.

2 minutes ago, Reg said:

Wednesday night on Edmonton's sports radio talk show they are discussing how the Oilers will match up against Dallas, Time to bring them back to reality.

Hockey Gods don't like stuff like that.

Look at Toronto.

• Like 2