Whatchya reading, CFF?

Jester13

2 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

You’re going to be my ‘go to’ for me going forward. I’ll pick your brain about certain books. 

I hope I drive business your way too. 

Freakin @Jester13 was a book savant and a source. I never realized.  

You collect, or someone you know? I've been collecting for 15 years+ and dealing for around seven. I know some guys in the industry as well.

2 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

You collect, or someone you know? I've been collecting for 15 years+ and dealing for around seven. I know some guys in the industry as well.

I don’t ‘collect’. Not in the slightest. 

However, I am always open to purchasing certain first editions when it comes to those books that are beloved to me. I hope to pass them down one day. 

We’ll definitely chat down the road. Thank you Sir. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

I don’t ‘collect’. Not in the slightest. 

However, I am always open to purchasing certain first editions when it comes to those books that are beloved to me. I hope to pass them down one day. 

We’ll definitely chat down the road. Thank you Sir. 

So you do collect 😏

I collect the books/authors that are beloved to me as well. I started buying others to sell so that I can now buy the ones that are super expensive. 

Edit: feel free to send me a list and I'll keep an eye out for them.

Edited by Jester13
  • Thanks 1

I'm also working my way through this book:

https://english.ubc.ca/bookshelf/creating-canadian-english-the-professor-the-mountaineer-and-a-national-variety-of-english/

(ie. various states of being read - this is one of the books I alternate with "The Rebel"...)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I'm also working my way through this book:

https://english.ubc.ca/bookshelf/creating-canadian-english-the-professor-the-mountaineer-and-a-national-variety-of-english/

(ie. various states of being read - this is one of the books I alternate with "The Rebel"...)

Are you going to school for linguistics or just have a wide taste of interests? 

I'm Icelandic/Native and Irish so love these books. Also might be related to Snorri Sturluson who penned some of the saga's. I traced my family tree to the people of Laxdaela. I'm not a huge e-book guy but this one is a work of art. Music, images and reading done by Ulf Crow. Follow the link to his YT channel.

Egil's Saga from the Saga's of Icelanders

(listen to the entire thing, its great. Better than any movie or those Viking shows)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

Anyone got the 1st edition of the Bible. 

Man, the God Thread posters will shit themselves if an Atheist got hold of it! 

:towel:

Jokes. Just joking. May peace be upon you all. Don’t report me!! 

No, but one of my book dealer friends showed me a leaf from the Gutenberg Bible he purchased for $140,000usd 🙀

I'm not religious, but it was certainly very cool to see something like that in person, not for the words, but for the history of printing and rarity of it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Since this thread wasn't terribly popular on CDC, I'm thinking we open it up to basically any kind of reading, so it doesn't have to be a physical book. Maybe you've just read an interesting piece in the New Yorker, or Nature magazine, or you listened to an audiobook - whatever the medium - well, if you enjoyed or hated reading something so much that you want to share it with others, this thread is for you. 

Being a teacher librarian, I've got 11 different books on the go!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

No, but one of my book dealer friends showed me a leaf from the Gutenberg Bible he purchased for $140,000usd 🙀

I'm not religious, but it was certainly very cool to see something like that in person, not for the words, but for the history of printing and rarity of it.

You'd have to go to Iceland to see the original of that Saga. It's on 700 year old goatskin and it's huge. lol

7 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

That's a lot of bookmarks! And don't say you dog ear pages, because there are two types of people in this world: those who use bookmarks and monsters.

Of course I dog ear pages.  Books are meant to used and enjoyed.  I love books that are used and worn........thats how you know they've been well loved!

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Of course I dog ear pages.  Books are meant to used and enjoyed.  I love books that are used and worn........thats how you know they've been well loved!

Spoken like a true librarian, ha! I'll give you a pass because they're not first editions in good condition, but you've been warned...

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Spoken like a true librarian, ha! I'll give you a pass because they're not first editions in good condition, but you've been warned...

I'm not sure what a first edition of "Diary of a Wimpy Kid l: Third Wheel" is going for on eBay, but I'll keep my eyes open and make sure I take good care of it if I find one!

• Haha 1

I've been retreading Spinoza's Ethics, and reading Peter Joseph's new book The New Human Rights Movement.

Anyone familiar with the overarching bio/psycho/social/economic issues covered in the Zeitgeist film series probably won't get much out of it. But as an intro text to the subject matter I think it's pretty good. 

Speaking of PJ, he also put out a doc series called Culture in Decline I would highly recommend. Although, get your brain medicine ready. Shit can be depressing as fuck.

48 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

So we gotta get a GoFundMe started. 

I hear ya loud and clear. 

I got $5 on it. 

image.gif.01e81f21724c618dbb83bb47183f3870.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Are you going to school for linguistics or just have a wide taste of interests? 

Primarily wide taste of interests, but there's also a bit of a story behind how I got to know the author of the book.  Long story short, I helped him keep his research grant from being shut down by the funding agency, and so he gave me a heads up when this book (which is related to the research topic but not an output of the research grant's activities) was published.  

Of course, I had to buy it out of pocket, but I hope to get it signed by him at some point before he or I retires.  :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 1