Whatchya reading, CFF?

Jester13

31 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

For me, I’d love to know what a 1st edition of LOTR would cost? 

I think I read those 3 times over, over the years. 

I once had a LOTR 1st edition (later printings) UK set that I found for $100. I then traded them to a book guy for some Cormac McCarthy first editions. First printing UK sets of LOTR are worth around $30k cad+. 

21 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Primarily wide taste of interests, but there's also a bit of a story behind how I got to know the author of the book.  Long story short, I helped him keep his research grant from being shut down by the funding agency, and so he gave me a heads up when this book (which is related to the research topic but not an output of the research grant's activities) was published.  

Of course, I had to buy it out of pocket, but I hope to get it signed by him at some point before he or I retires.  :classic_ninja:

That's awesome. I hope you get that sig soon ✌️

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

For me, I’d love to know what a 1st edition of LOTR would cost? 

I think I read those 3 times over, over the years. 

A lifetime who there was a bookstore near me that had a 1st edition Hobbit. I remember being sad I couldn't afford the princely sum of $100 to purchase it at the time (somewhere around 1980-81)

• Huggy Bear 1

10 hours ago, StrayDog said:

A lifetime who there was a bookstore near me that had a 1st edition Hobbit. I remember being sad I couldn't afford the princely sum of $100 to purchase it at the time (somewhere around 1980-81)

Don't feel too bad, as the chance it was a first edition, first printing is slim. Later printings still hold value, but the drop-off in value is steep after the first print run. The LOTR set I had was around 15th printings, and they were worth around $600-$1k whereas the first printings are around $30k+.

1 hour ago, Jester13 said:

Don't feel too bad, as the chance it was a first edition, first printing is slim. Later printings still hold value, but the drop-off in value is steep after the first print run. The LOTR set I had was around 15th printings, and they were worth around $600-$1k whereas the first printings are around $30k+.

Yeah, you could be right. But 13 year old me was really bummed...

I forget the name of the next book I'm into (it's in the car...I mostly read at the beach). It's a hard one to get into after HBH but I'm trying. Probably the fact that it hits home...about a daughter who falls into drug addiction and is being abused. Her abusive boyfriend has just been knocked off and Dad has had a recent run in with him. She's also gone missing. The very descriptive search for her through drug infested abandoned houses, etc. really brings back a dark time with my brother.

Love shopping for unknown bargain books....HomeSense, SaveOn, etc. Just grab stuff that looks good. The book I have now is a hardcover that was priced at $32.99...paid $3.00. Can't go wrong.

And I pass them along to my daughter/daughter in law. We have our own little book club going.

• Like 2

Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey

I finished watching "The Expanse" sci-fi series a month or two ago.  A very good series.  So good, I decided to read the first book in the series that the show was based on.  

I'm enjoying it.  While it differs in details from the tv show, it also explains the background a bit more.  Coming in cold to the tv series, I found it a bit confusing - where is this place?  who is this character?  etc.  But the book fleshes out a lot of things.

And, of course, having almost finished the novel, I've had to start watching the first season of the tv show again to see what I missed the first time around.

• Like 3

On 9/26/2023 at 10:01 AM, Jester13 said:

You're telling me! I'm also a first edition book collector and dealer, and I'm traveling right now and scouting for more books. My wife is gonna kill me. Oh, well, bought three more yesterday hehe.

You have your own book shop ?

Awesome.

I am lucky to have a couple of great second hand Bookshops close by that I frequent.

Books and CD's are the only luxuries I really indulge in. 

I am currently struggling through Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams, for the second time.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

You have your own book shop ?

Awesome.

I am lucky to have a couple of great second hand Bookshops close by that I frequent.

Books and CD's are the only luxuries I really indulge in. 

I am currently struggling through Freud's The Interpretation of Dreams, for the second time.

Not a brick and mortar but online - selling books is just a small side hustle. Sadly, each year I notice bookstores closing when I go across Canada for work.

Good ol' Freud. He's certainly a second read type of guy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Have you read his book, 11/22/63? It’s one of my favourites of his. 

Not yet! Only other book i've read is "It"

My father in law also said that was his favourite, so I might have to add that to the list!

10 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Not yet! Only other book i've read is "It"

My father in law also said that was his favourite, so I might have to add that to the list!

Your father in law has excellent taste, as do you. The Stand happens to be my favourite, but there’s so much good material to choose from, even some of his more recent books are pretty good. I particularly liked Later. 

The Culture series by Iain Banks (Iain M Banks).  Great series of hard science fiction - probably the best I've read in decades.  Each book can be read as a standalone or in sequence.  Many recommend not starting with the first book, but I enjoyed doing it that way.  Two books in the series were particularly noteworthy in my opinion: Excision and Use of Weapons.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2023 at 10:47 AM, Foamys Ghost said:

The Culture series by Iain Banks (Iain M Banks).  Great series of hard science fiction - probably the best I've read in decades.  Each book can be read as a standalone or in sequence.  Many recommend not starting with the first book, but I enjoyed doing it that way.  Two books in the series were particularly noteworthy in my opinion: Excision and Use of Weapons.

I am slowly collecting that series, second hand bookshop buyer.

Against a Dark Background written by Iain is a great read.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pierre burton..”Prisoners of the North “,I highly recommend to anyone who wants to understand Canada as to how we got here in the present politically and culturally,read Pierre burton’s “the Great Depression “!it will blow your mind.cheers!

• Cheers 1

On 10/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, Sargon said:

Pierre burton..”Prisoners of the North “,I highly recommend to anyone who wants to understand Canada as to how we got here in the present politically and culturally,read Pierre burton’s “the Great Depression “!it will blow your mind.cheers!

That is an excellent book to roll joints on. It has a wide cover so the weed doesn't fall off, it's perfect.

16 minutes ago, Rob Eh said:

That is an excellent book to roll joints on. It has a wide cover so the weed doesn't fall off, it's perfect.

That’s why we liked record album covers when you had to separate the seeds from the Thai stick. A ice cold Tab, the nords versus the habs on the French channel and some Nalley Piccadilly square salt and vinegar chips…..and a good book between periods!

7 minutes ago, Sargon said:

That’s why we liked record album covers when you had to separate the seeds from the Thai stick. A ice cold Tab, the nords versus the habs on the French channel and some Nalley Piccadilly square salt and vinegar chips…..and a good book between periods!

I remember that seed removing record album method. You needed a double album to open up like a crease and the seeds would slide right on out. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1