Whatchya reading, CFF?

Jester13

Since this thread wasn't terribly popular on CDC, I'm thinking we open it up to basically any kind of reading, so it doesn't have to be a physical book. Maybe you've just read an interesting piece in the New Yorker, or Nature magazine, or you listened to an audiobook - whatever the medium - well, if you enjoyed or hated reading something so much that you want to share it with others, this thread is for you. 

• Cheers 1

I'm currently reading Giller Prize-winning author Sean Michaels' new book, Do you remember being born? It's about a well-known poet in her 70’s being asked to co-create a long poem with non other than:

an AI machine.

A note from the author: "All of Charlotte's [the AI] poetry and some of the prose in this book, indicated by grey shading, was generated with help from OpenAI's GPT-3 language model as well as Moorebot, a package of custom poetry-generation software designed by Sean Michaels and Katie O'Nell"

I'm only 50 pages in, but so far it's got my keen attention and already blurring the lines between art/science/creativity. 

My last read was The Sunset Limited play by Cormac McCarthy (RIP). A play about faith and atheism, existentialism, redemption, morality, isolation... McCarthy is my absolute favourite author of all time, so I'll give every single one his reads a 10/10 must read. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

"The Rebel" by Camus.  A lot of "whoosh"ing.  My brain feels like it's origami while reading it, but the outcome looks more like a crumpled paper ball than any actual origami figure.  

I will add that if you haven't read any of his other stuff, specifically The Myth of Sisyphus, then I highly recommend doing so, as it it'll help shed light on his philosophical ideas of absurdity and the human condition and their relation to rebellion, freedom, and justice. Of course, none of his stuff are easy reads, but they're all well-worth the exploration. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I will add that if you haven't read any of his other stuff, specifically The Myth of Sisyphus, then I highly recommend doing so, as it it'll help shed light on his philosophical ideas of absurdity and the human condition and their relation to rebellion, freedom, and justice. Of course, none of his stuff are easy reads, but they're all well-worth the exploration. 

It is on my "should buy book even though you shouldn't buy any more books" list.  :classic_ninja:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

It is on my "should buy book even though you shouldn't buy any more books" list.  :classic_ninja:

You're telling me! I'm also a first edition book collector and dealer, and I'm traveling right now and scouting for more books. My wife is gonna kill me. Oh, well, bought three more yesterday hehe.

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Jester13 said:

You're telling me! I'm also a first edition book collector and dealer, and I'm traveling right now and scouting for more books. My wife is gonna kill me. Oh, well, bought three more yesterday hehe.

My wife and I have trouble refraining from buying books - to the point where 4 out of every 5 books we've bought have just been sitting on a bookshelf waiting to be acknowledged (and the 1 of every 5 are at various stages of being read).  We have an agreement not to buy any more books, but we break that agreement all the time.  In fact, I just bought one during my road trip earlier this month.  🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

My wife and I have trouble refraining from buying books - to the point where 4 out of every 5 books we've bought have just been sitting on a bookshelf waiting to be acknowledged (and the 1 of every 5 are at various stages of being read).  We have an agreement not to buy any more books, but we break that agreement all the time.  In fact, I just bought one during my road trip earlier this month.  🤦‍♂️

The struggle is real.

• Vintage 1

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

You’re going to be my ‘go to’ for me going forward. I’ll pick your brain about certain books. 

I hope I drive business your way too. 

Freakin @Jester13 was a book savant and a source. I never realized.  

I mean....the signs were all there, Sharpie....

Who else would have Camus as their avatar instead of something uber-cool like...I don't know...the Grim Reaper or something....

• Haha 3