[GDT] Around the NHL (the future of these threads)

I've been pondering this for a while, if @Vintage Canuck isn't going to be contributing in the fashion we've grown accustomed to back on CDC how do we keep these threads going? Sometimes they didn't see a lot of use but other times they'd generate quite a bit of discussion. 

I've taken the liberty of saving and uploading the image Vintage always used as a thread header but I'm unsure how he generated the rest of the weekly images. 

cut.thumb.jpg.c8561939ef726fe113d1b931c67ffa88.jpg

CDC  is still up, I went back through the General Hockey Discussion forum to find an example of what we're used to. https://forum.canucks.com/topic/407507-gdt-around-the-nhl-april-02-08-2023/

I'm not sure how he generated the week to week stuff but everything doesn't have to be identical, we'd just need to keep the basic thread structure intact. 

Is there any interest in keeping these threads going? I'm not necessarily volunteering to take it on, I just thought I'd create a discussion thread before CDC as we know it vanishes from the internet and we can no longer access Vintage's template. 

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've been pondering this for a while, if @Vintage Canuck isn't going to be contributing in the fashion we've grown accustomed to back on CDC how do we keep these threads going? Sometimes they didn't see a lot of use but other times they'd generate quite a bit of discussion. 

I've taken the liberty of saving and uploading the image Vintage always used as a thread header but I'm unsure how he generated the rest of the weekly images. 

CDC  is still up, I went back through the General Hockey Discussion forum to find an example of what we're used to. https://forum.canucks.com/topic/407507-gdt-around-the-nhl-april-02-08-2023/

I'm not sure how he generated the week to week stuff but everything doesn't have to be identical, we'd just need to keep the basic thread structure intact. 

Is there any interest in keeping these threads going? I'm not necessarily volunteering to take it on, I just thought I'd create a discussion thread before CDC as we know it vanishes from the internet and we can no longer access Vintage's template. 

I have a feeling, people will get the out - town, game highlights going once the season ramps up in the regular season. They should be real stand out goals or fights

or fantastic plays, and yes, even the injuries.

16 hours ago, Odd. said:

I’m all for one giant thread HF style and just make a new thread if it reaches 50+ pages or so.

Could be an idea, it'd be fewer threads to generate 

15 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

I have a feeling, people will get the out - town, game highlights going once the season ramps up in the regular season. They should be real stand out goals or fights

or fantastic plays, and yes, even the injuries.

Likely, but in my experience the around the NHL GDT's got a broad range of posts 

I'm just wondering how we should go about keeping it going 

14 hours ago, Naslund19 said:

I liked how it used to be when there was a thread made for the GDT and then a separate thread for the PGT.

For Canucks specific GDT's? Yeah, I like the separation. 

Hope this one keeps on. I used to come here to check scores and highlights from the week. 

Vintage posted a fair amount to it but so did us users. If we (the ones who frequent it) come together we can keep the tradition alive. Also it doesn't  need to be as clean as it was, just that it exists. They Will Come Rose Mciver GIF by CBS

17 hours ago, Coconuts said:

On 9/25/2023 at 8:13 PM, Coconuts said:

Weren't they just screenshots of the nhl.com schedule pages?  That would be my guess, as isn't there some kind of link between nhl.com  and the team sites?

Not sure if there would be a copyright issue in using the same screenshots, but my unofficial guess is that it would be fine.

Edited by Kragar

@Coconuts maybe the solution here is to have a signup thread, like for Canucks GDT?  That way people could pitch in, and the job doesn't fall to one person?

The league-wide one doesn't take as much effort or creativity (no disrespect to Vintage intended!), and it's just once a week, so maybe it would be easier to get support?

On 9/27/2023 at 4:48 PM, Kragar said:

Weren't they just screenshots of the nhl.com schedule pages?  That would be my guess, as isn't there some kind of link between nhl.com  and the team sites?

Not sure if there would be a copyright issue in using the same screenshots, but my unofficial guess is that it would be fine.

Correct, that's what I used for the October GDT I made yesterday 

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

@Coconuts maybe the solution here is to have a signup thread, like for Canucks GDT?  That way people could pitch in, and the job doesn't fall to one person?

The league-wide one doesn't take as much effort or creativity (no disrespect to Vintage intended!), and it's just once a week, so maybe it would be easier to get support?

Is possible, I opted for a monthly megathread format but going back to week to week is possible 

I'm not overly attached to taking it over, if others wanna jump in some months (or weeks if we revert) that's totally cool 

I've just enjoyed some of the back and forth in them over the years so I figured it'd be worth continuing 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Correct, that's what I used for the October GDT I made yesterday 

Is possible, I opted for a monthly megathread format but going back to week to week is possible 

I'm not overly attached to taking it over, if others wanna jump in some months (or weeks if we revert) that's totally cool 

I've just enjoyed some of the back and forth in them over the years so I figured it'd be worth continuing 

I hadn't seen the monthly thread.  Not a bad idea at all.  The weekly thread wasn't always busy, so making it into a monthly one makes sense.  Thanks for starting it off!  Can we get a mod to pin it each month?

I never thought you wanted to run them all, and understood what you were trying to do.  I thought a signup thread would help it so you (or anyone else) wouldn't always be managing it.

Edited by Kragar

13 hours ago, Kragar said:

I hadn't seen the monthly thread.  Not a bad idea at all.  The weekly thread wasn't always busy, so making it into a monthly one makes sense.  Thanks for starting it off!  Can we get a mod to pin it each month?

I never thought you wanted to run them all, and understood what you were trying to do.  I thought a signup thread would help it so you (or anyone else) wouldn't always be managing it.

I thought so too, and maybe? I'll ask if one of them can pin it in the other thread 

Maybe, maybe what I'll do in the next thread is make a list of sorts, might be easier to just put it in the thread itself instead of creating another thread for it 

• Cheers 1

• Coconuts locked and unlocked this topic
  • Coconuts locked this topic