Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Seeing him getting blamed for personal household debt is just wild.  Personal accountability is apparently no longer a conservative value for many.

Quite the opposite for conservative voters with their ridiculous tricks, houses, boats, side by sides 

I readily admit I'm quite far to the left and have never owned a vehicle that cost more than $15k in my 40 some years of driving.

1 hour ago, Optimist Prime said:

I have no idea what you think triggered means.

Well you seem unhappy that I pointed out your mistakes.

1 hour ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Or far left extremist government. 

Who used that phrase when discussing this liberal government? Or did you just make that up yourself?

32 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's certainly been worse

You are right in the early 80s under his dad's government lol

13 minutes ago, moosehead said:

If we can not blame Justin T for all our  personal economic woes / poor personal decisions in  life....     WHO can we blame then..... ?

Well I think most of you guys on this side always blame conservatives even when they haven't been in power for 8 years lol

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Seeing him getting blamed for personal household debt is just wild.  Personal accountability is apparently no longer a conservative value for many.

Omg I actually agree with you on something.

Edited by Ryan Strome

I try not to talk Canadian politics too much because #1, I never get who I vote for, not even close, all I know is for me, as I see it, Trudeau x Deux

Is an unmitigated disaster. Well guess that's what I get for not being a toker, well a couple times when I was in my late teens, that's it.

From what my late Dad told me, when Elliot was elected, the first move was to float our (very strong) dollar. 

Justin is very much like his Father.  Way---------------------------------------------to the left..☹️

• Cheers 1

Just now, Rip The Mesh said:

I try not to talk Canadian politics too much because #1, I never get who I vote for, not even close, all I know is for me, as I see it, Trudeau x Deux

Is an unmitigated disaster. Well guess that's what I get for not being a toker, well a couple times when I was in my late teens, that's it.

From what my late Dad told me, when Elliot was elected, the first move was to float our (very strong) dollar. 

Justin is very much like his Father.  Way---------------------------------------------to the left..☹️

Yeah they both are pretty terrible prime ministers. Sometimes I do wonder though if Justin's playbook is to try and eliminate the NDP if that's why he's moved so far to the left.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

What's Trudeau done that's so bad?  Lots of facts and figures here showing that our economic situation is actually pretty good compared to other G7 countries

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Yeah they both are pretty terrible prime ministers. Sometimes I do wonder though if Justin's playbook is to try and eliminate the NDP if that's why he's moved so far to the left.

If you think Trudeau is on the left I've got a bridge to sell you

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

What's Trudeau done that's so bad?  Lots of facts and figures here showing that our economic situation is actually pretty good compared to other G7 countries

1) inherited a surplus and ran a 30 billion deficit when he said he would only run a 10 billion dollar deficit.

2) has taken on more debt than any other Prime Minister in the history of the country.

3) being found guilty by the ethics commissioner twice.

4) has caused more division in this country than has been seen since his dad was prime minister.

5) fired a justice minister because she wasn't willing to go into bed with a very wealthy Quebec company that had committed serious crimes.

6) took our veterans to court after complaining that the conservative government did it.

7) took a trip to Tofino on the very first truth and reconciliation day, pretty much showing that he didn't care about truth and reconciliation.

8-racist black face.

Do you want me to stop or do you want me to continue?

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Optimist Prime said:

Thanks for following along. So we have some quick facts now on Canada's debt and deficit relative to the other 6 best economies in the WORLD. 

We lead on every measure: Debt, and Deficit with the one exception of Italy having a better deficit scenario in 2022.

IN fact, now that I have read the data on each of the g7 nations i am starting to think it is fiscally irresponsible to change course/leadership during these amazing economic times. Cretien always said Tough times Is Tory Times. We don't want tough times folks, we need to avoid Conservative federal governance like the plague. 

Didn’t all those countries you mentioned change their governments and leadership over the past 2-3 years? Germany, Japan, US, UK, Italy. 

Only France and Canada have the same government before COVID. Trudeau has been around since 2015. If an election were held today he would lose. Even Chrétien eventually lost power even though he had balanced budgets and surpluses his entire tenure.  He fell to scandal and in party fighting and had to “retire”. The Liberals got rid of him and put in Martin but that didn’t help.  He eventually lost to Harper.

Only thing keeping Trudeau in power right now is Jagmeet Singh. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Didn’t all those countries you mentioned change their governments and leadership over the past 2-3 years? Germany, Japan, US, UK, Italy. 

Only France and Canada have the same government before COVID. Trudeau has been around since 2015. If an election were held today he would lose. Even Chrétien eventually lost power even though he had balanced budgets and surpluses his entire tenure.  He fell to scandal and in party fighting and had to “retire”. The Liberals got rid of him and put in Martin but that didn’t help.  He eventually lost to Harper.

Only thing keeping Trudeau in power right now is Jagmeet Singh. 

Yeah, and that's only because the NDP cannot afford an election, but if they find themselves gaining in the polls, they will pull the pin on this liberal coalition in a second. I think it's funny because I've spoken with a few liberals and they want to see Freeland take over I would welcome that. She can't tell Canadians how much it cost to service the debt nor can she explain why She said there would likely be deflation instead of inflation. 

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

i love lists, my retorts in bold face font.

1) inherited a surplus and ran a 30 billion deficit when he said he would only run a 10 billion dollar deficit. likely true, i dont have the numbers here in front of me, will take your word on it, on my phone now, not desktop.

2) has taken on more debt than any other Prime Minister in the history of the country. During unprecedented global crisis, where said spending fed families, and kept most businesses from going bankruot during the Covid era. 

3) being found guilty by the ethics commissioner twice. And the reason no other PM has is beacuase the office was created by Harper Gov and didnt exist prior. Ethics and laws are two different things. Breaking the law is illegal, doing something the ethics czar doesnt like isnt good, but it simply isnt something you can compare to any other PM because the position didnt exist. It is a socially conservative construct.

4) has caused more division in this country than has been seen since his dad was prime minister. Completely subjective and without facts, easuly dismissed as heresay.

5) fired a justice minister because she wasn't willing to go into bed with a very wealthy Quebec company that had committed serious crimes. every PM in Canadas history has fired their justice Minister, every single one, except the Lady who took over from Mulroony and was promtply voted out.

6) took our veterans to court after complaining that the conservative government did it. I am a veteran. Trudeau said we were ask8ng for more than Canada could give us, under the rules that were in place from the Harper Governments era. Then eventually the rules were changed back to pension for Life, instead of a pittance of a one time payout. Vets are much better off with the renewed Pension For Life, myself included.

7) took a trip to Tofino on the very first truth and reconciliation day, pretty much showing that he didn't care about truth and reconciliation. Tried to have a day off on the new holiday that most professionals, wait for it, you will not believe it: had off!

8-racist black face. Can't argue this one, other than to note he was a drama teacher at the time and was in character, as badly thought out as that was, the intention was in no way racist, and an overwhelming majority of Canadians know that. Still, a bad situation for optics by a mile!

Do you want me to stop or do you want me to continue? If you have more list, let's see it, I have more retorts.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I find it bizarre when I hear Justin Trudeau make comments speaking out against populism in Canada. He's the root cause of why there's populism in Canada. 

Another thing to add to the list of things JT is being blamed for. 

9 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

I'm actually going to respond to this post one more time because I just reread it again and a couple things that out to me. First, I never mentioned that he was the only prime minister found guilty twice about ethics violations. It's like you're taking a back door way of excusing poor behavior because it wasn't available for others to get caught. While that is true, that shouldn't take away from the wrong that he did. I actually find it concerning that rather than admit that it was wrong. You made excuses for it. Why other people didn't get caught. Second, I noticed upon rereading that you said it wasn't racist Justin Trudeau himself Said it was racist. So I feel like you might be one of his most staunch defenders and anything I say you will likely make an excuse for.

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The fact that you have made excuses for all those things. I actually posted the stuff that would be only made excuses by the most serious Trudeau supporter. The fact that you defended what happened to JWR is pretty scary.

You deny that OP’s actual experience about the Veteran Pension under Trudeau is better than it was under Harper? 

What excuse was he making? 

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

You deny that OP’s actual experience about the Veteran Pension under Trudeau is better than it was under Harper? 

What excuse was he making? 

I think you missed what I said. I'm not sure how old you are or how old you were in 2014 and 2015, but actually Trudeau was very bothered by the conservatives taking veterans to court and then he continued that court case.

14 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The fact that you have made excuses for all those things. I actually posted the stuff that would be only made excuses by the most serious Trudeau supporter. The fact that you defended what happened to JWR is pretty scary.

A cabinet shuffle happened, she refused to accept a new portfolio, and so was no longer in Cabinet: did you see some news that I am not privy to?

Some secret rule that the Justice Minister gets to decide their own tenure and dismissal? No? no. Because ministers serve at the Prime Ministers pleaure, as has always ALWAYS been the case, without regard for who the party was in power at the time. Every Single PM has fired their justice minister save for the PM who was appointed by Mulrooney's cabinet after he resigned: and only because she wasn't in office long enogh to fire any ministers.

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

I think you missed what I said. I'm not sure how old you are or how old you were in 2014 and 2015, but actually Trudeau was very bothered by the conservatives taking veterans to court and then he continued that court case.

My age is irrelevant.

I’ll defer to PO who can speak more authoritatively about the matter than I could. 

3 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

A cabinet shuffle happened, she refused to accept a new portfolio, and so was no longer in Cabinet: did you see some news that I am not privy to?

Some secret rule that the Justice Minister gets to decide their own tenure and dismissal? No? no. Because ministers serve at the Prime Ministers pleaure, as has always ALWAYS been the case, without regard for who the party was in power at the time. Every Single PM has fired their justice minister save for the PM who was appointed by Mulrooney's cabinet after he resigned: and only because she wasn't in office long enogh to fire any ministers.

Are you seriously telling me you're not familiar with what happened with JWR? Because if you aren't i will take the time to explain it to you and we can discuss it. But if you are just trying to act as if there was a cabinet shuffle then I'm not going to waste my time.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

My age is irrelevant.

I’ll defer to PO who can speak more authoritatively about the matter than I could. 

Then why did you respond? And I'm not sure that he can speak to it more than anybody else can. For example, you don't know if I'm a veteran and I don't know if you are. I mean you could be actively serving in the armed forces for all I know. But the fact remains the case that was before the courts Trudeau said was terrible and he continued it. Those things are factual.

11 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm actually going to respond to this post one more time because I just reread it again and a couple things that out to me. First, I never mentioned that he was the only prime minister found guilty twice about ethics violations. It's like you're taking a back door way of excusing poor behavior because it wasn't available for others to get caught. While that is true, that shouldn't take away from the wrong that he did. I actually find it concerning that rather than admit that it was wrong. You made excuses for it. Why other people didn't get caught. Second, I noticed upon rereading that you said it wasn't racist Justin Trudeau himself Said it was racist. So I feel like you might be one of his most staunch defenders and anything I say you will likely make an excuse for.

I thought the ommission was possible on account of most folks reading this thread would be literate adults. What i left unsaid was that IF the office of Ethics Commissioner was in existance prior to Trudeau being in office: we would see, and I am taking this from historical anecdotes, dozens of cases per PM per sitting. For the first PM to only have 2 instances of crossing the ethics czar (one of them for going to a xmas vacation with Truedeau's own godffather and lifelong friend by the way, a Vacay he has done a dozen times in and out of office), but yeah only two instances for the first PM to have to face an Ethics Commiss. I think that is pretty good to be honest. Knowing what we know about all the backroom things that have gone in every government in history, i believe two is a good low number. I hope the future PM's can keep it to two in 9 years. 

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

My age is irrelevant.

There is separation between the government and the courts, one side in a court case can ask to have the case removed, but the Judge vis a vis consultation with both sides and stakeholders would have made that decision. If we could unilaterally end court cases we are involved in, wouldn't we all just do that rather than go to court? I just don't get the complaint in this case: SOunds mad Trudeau didn't intervene to quash a case? while simultaneosly is mad he tried to intervene to save 12 thousand jobs in the Lavelin affair. Make up your mind: should he tamper with the courts or should he not? lol Cake and Eat it too crowd is getting tiring.