B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

9 minutes ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I was just looking on a job site out of boredom and I looked at the provincial level. I was just wondering if anyone knew why trades people in the lower mainland are paid such low wages?g

Good benefits and hours when you work for government 

• ThereItIs 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Good benefits and hours when you work for government 

Better pay and decent benefits and pension if you work in unions. Union workers require education. Education and experience affects pay. 

Also depends your trade. Some have more demand for workers than others. Some require more skill. Some have more work on the go. 

Depends where you are too. 

There are high and low periods with some trades. Might have a boom period for 10-15 years then a barren period. Hence why you see a lot of eyes on big lengthy projects 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Better pay and decent benefits and pension if you work in unions. Union workers require education. Education and experience affects pay. 

Also depends your trade. Some have more demand for workers than others. Some require more skill. Some have more work on the go. 

Depends where you are too. 

There are high and low periods with some trades. Might have a boom period for 10-15 years then a barren period. Hence why you see a lot of eyes on big lengthy projects 

For trades in the public service it's also.summer vacation. I know many trades people who switched to public mid career to get the pension and summer vacation .... For many trades in the private sector it's just not possible to take holidays in the summer. Additionally most trades in the public sector work bankers hours of Monday to Friday 8-4 so having every weekend off is also rare 

As for the wages .... The public sector is behind on wages ... Better on benefits and has a pension plan. The MPP is great but it's far from gold plated. The average person gets something like 2000 per month before deductions for a full pension.

So about 1500 after taxes. good but not going to make.you rich.

The best perk is the ability to take a little less for a joint life pension so both you and your spouse will get it till your both gone

Even with the benefits and pension the public sector is struggling Canada wide with recruitment in all jobs.   When your starting out in life the wages are more important than a pension or benefits so young workers are passing on the public.

Other than the sick leave a d vacation the health and dental is pretty much the same as good private benefits 

17 hours ago, Sapper said:

For trades in the public service it's also.summer vacation. I know many trades people who switched to public mid career to get the pension and summer vacation .... For many trades in the private sector it's just not possible to take holidays in the summer. Additionally most trades in the public sector work bankers hours of Monday to Friday 8-4 so having every weekend off is also rare 

As for the wages .... The public sector is behind on wages ... Better on benefits and has a pension plan. The MPP is great but it's far from gold plated. The average person gets something like 2000 per month before deductions for a full pension.

So about 1500 after taxes. good but not going to make.you rich.

The best perk is the ability to take a little less for a joint life pension so both you and your spouse will get it till your both gone

Even with the benefits and pension the public sector is struggling Canada wide with recruitment in all jobs.   When your starting out in life the wages are more important than a pension or benefits so young workers are passing on the public.

Other than the sick leave a d vacation the health and dental is pretty much the same as good private benefits 

A lot of people are leaving Federal Government jobs as they can make more money elsewhere.

But  Government has a defined pension plan and a better work\life balance.

• Cheers 1

Drivers to get $110 rebates from ICBC, basic rate to stay same for sixth year

The rebates will start going out in late May to all personal and commercial customers who had an active eligible basic insurance policy in February.

ICBC, which was in a deficit in 2019-2020, is now projecting net investment income of roughly $1.5 billion for the fiscal year 2023-2024. The final audited net income figure will be published in late summer.
  • Like 1

B.C. creates a special homicide unit as gangs involved in 46 per cent of murders

VICTORIA — British Columbia is forming a specialized gang-related homicide investigation team, saying gangland murders now make up almost 50 per cent of the killings in the province.

B.C. Conservative leader pledges not to ‘reopen the abortion debate’

https://globalnews.ca/news/10487009/john-rustad-abortion-position/

The leader of the Conservative Party of BC is pledging not to “reopen the abortion debate” after one of his MLAs appeared to suggest motherhood begins at conception.

Abbotsford South MLA Bruce Banman made the comments in the legislative assembly Tuesday.

“From the moment of conception through the journey of pregnancy and motherhood, and throughout the myriad of challenges of triumphs that follow, motherhood is the nurturing force that sustains life and shapes our future,” Banman said.

Those comments prompted the NDP caucus to issue a statement calling Banman’s words an “anti-choice dog whistle.” The BC Green Party also issued a call Wednesday for all party leaders to take a clear stand on abortion access.

• Vintage 1

40 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

B.C. Conservative leader pledges not to ‘reopen the abortion debate’

https://globalnews.ca/news/10487009/john-rustad-abortion-position/

The leader of the Conservative Party of BC is pledging not to “reopen the abortion debate” after one of his MLAs appeared to suggest motherhood begins at conception.

Abbotsford South MLA Bruce Banman made the comments in the legislative assembly Tuesday.

“From the moment of conception through the journey of pregnancy and motherhood, and throughout the myriad of challenges of triumphs that follow, motherhood is the nurturing force that sustains life and shapes our future,” Banman said.

Those comments prompted the NDP caucus to issue a statement calling Banman’s words an “anti-choice dog whistle.” The BC Green Party also issued a call Wednesday for all party leaders to take a clear stand on abortion access.

Why? 

Are they planning more and better childrens services too?

• Cheers 1

B.C. finance minister says she will retire following provincial election this fall

CASTLEGAR, B.C. — British Columbia's finance minister says she won't be running again in the next provincial election after serving in the legislature for nearly two decades.

On 5/11/2024 at 12:02 AM, Optimist Prime said:

By all accounts Princess Anne had a wonderful time in BC.

image.png.8c5c614a9b2c99d71368952ad551655c.png

If the monarchy was seniority based, and not gender biased, she would be the Ruler and not Chuck.

She'd very likely do a better job than him, as well.

I do wonder how many more decades this 'royalty' shit is going to continue for.......?

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

If elected Premier, Rustad the Conservative leader said he would replace Dr Bonnie Henry. I guess his base needs to hear this shit.

Just locking down the crazy vote, and vote splitting.

Kevin Falcon- 'the solver of all our problems' is probably  concerned, as that his party is the one that could be losing folk.

30 minutes ago, Gurn said:

If the monarchy was seniority based, and not gender biased, she would be the Ruler and not Chuck.

She'd very likely do a better job than him, as well.

I do wonder how many more decades this 'royalty' shit is going to continue for.......?

she has the best education money can buy. While I am not a royalist, per se, I had the opportunity years ago in my professional life to have lunch with her. We talked about fiber optics and some radical inventions I had a part in. Thus why I got to have lunch with her.  She worked on the trans atlantic fiber trunk line between the British Isles/Ireland and Canada/North America for three months as the ship was laying the cable and she did all of the hands on work involved, connections, polishing, binding the splices...the whole thing. She is in a way, to the royals what the "spider" was to the royal house in Game of Thrones, if you catch the analogy. She is the honourary Colonel of several covert agencies in Canada.  She has been to the island several times since then, and just this month was the most recent. Oddly her hubby and others from the household go hunting almost annually with my brother in law and his friends up north in BC in unofficial off the books vacations. Interesting nonetheless, even for a non royal supporter.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

I guess, but call ME suspicious, lol!

yep. As much as I have issues with NDP policy, I don't want to see the BC con's win. 

I'll likely vote green or independent, knowing all the while I'm making a useless vote, but I've never not voted so I guess its just supporting democracy for me next election. 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep. As much as I have issues with NDP policy, I don't want to see the BC con's win. 

I'll likely vote green or independent, knowing all the while I'm making a useless vote, but I've never not voted so I guess its just supporting democracy for me next election. 

cards on the table, i have only voted for the bc NDP when John Horgan was their leader. I don't see any reason to vote them out at the moment though, so likely will tip my hat at them again in october. The Greens have lost me for a long time with antisemitism federally running rank in their power levels of insiders, and provincially S. Furstenau is just invisible, a horrible leader for any party, let alone the green party.  At least the Cons are running under their own banner this time and not as Liberals: two groups to choose from traditional flavour Conservatives or the spicy new B-Cups. hehehe. For now, the NDP are a decent enough place holder for my vote, and with the added incentive for me to help kick the Green Party out of my riding. (Cowichan Valley area)

I honestly think, being a one issue party, the Greens should fold into a more robust progressive party and work to have one of their like minded folks be the Environment Minister...oh wait, the Federal Environment Minister is already an ex Greenpeace activist, so...what is the purpose of the party running then to hold 2 seats? lmao...Liz, it is time to go. 

• Vintage 1

24 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

cards on the table, i have only voted for the bc NDP when John Horgan was their leader. I don't see any reason to vote them out at the moment though, so likely will tip my hat at them again in october. The Greens have lost me for a long time with antisemitism federally running rank in their power levels of insiders, and provincially S. Furstenau is just invisible, a horrible leader for any party, let alone the green party.  At least the Cons are running under their own banner this time and not as Liberals: two groups to choose from traditional flavour Conservatives or the spicy new B-Cups. hehehe. For now, the NDP are a decent enough place holder for my vote, and with the added incentive for me to help kick the Green Party out of my riding. (Cowichan Valley area)

I honestly think, being a one issue party, the Greens should fold into a more robust progressive party and work to have one of their like minded folks be the Environment Minister...oh wait, the Federal Environment Minister is already an ex Greenpeace activist, so...what is the purpose of the party running then to hold 2 seats? lmao...Liz, it is time to go. 

Independent it is then 😅

• Haha 1