B.C. Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

13 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Funny thing is, most of the "debate" that was happening in the Federal Politics thread was about provincial matters....

Yup, but people don’t care to learn how government actually works, refusing to look up or enlighten themselves on anything. They’re told something that they want to be true is true by someone else (irrespective of that person’s bias or credentials), believe it’s true and no amount of evidence will convince them otherwise. These folks tend to use the word indoctrination a lot, they’re actually quite right, there’s a lot of people who are indoctrinated, they just don’t know that they are the ones who actually are.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

• 2 weeks later...

Arise, dormant thread...

Surprised nobody has talked in this thread about the BC Legislature being back in session, with the two BC Conservative members now being given official party status courtesy of the BC NDP's previous agreement with the BC Greens for giving them official party status with a threshold of two members.

And with a new "right of centre" official party (with all the rights accorded to an official party, such as questions in Question Period and funding/office space), it changes the dynamics of Question Period.

Conservative wedge issues could derail debates in B.C. legislature, expert warns

The throne speech is read at the legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Monday, February 6, 2023.
The throne speech is read at the legislature in Victoria, B.C., on Monday, February 6, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Chad Hipolito

Posted Oct 6, 2023, 4:58PM PDT.

After the B.C. Conservative leader caused uproar on the first day of the fall legislative session with comments made about SOGI-123, one expert says this could be the norm for political discussions moving forward.

On Tuesday, the only two Conservative party MLAs, John Rustad, and Bruce Banman, used their first questions in the house to rally against the sexual orientation and gender identity educational resources — which Rustad voted in favour of in the past.

Premier David Eby responded to the attack, saying it attempted to derail the debate from real issues such as housing and affordability.

Timothy Caulfield, a University of Alberta researcher who specializes in misinformation, says the provincial Tories are using similar strategies seen by right-wing politicians south of the border.

“We know that these kinds of wedge issues can work. We’ve seen it used in jurisdictions like the United States … Florida and other states, and it really can work. It becomes the focal point of the ideological movement,” he told CityNews.

He says such topics include climate change, vaccinations, and attacks on the 2SLGBTQIA+ community.

“So much of it is fuelled by misinformation. By things that are either just factually wrong or just a misleading interpretation of the relevant evidence,” Caulfield said.

“If they follow this playbook, we’re going to see more of these wedge issues get raised to the floor. We’re going to see more of the weaponization of misinformation, either explicitly or implicitly. And I think we’re likely to see a lot of these polarizing topics like vaccines, like the idea of freedom of expression, like the idea of gender-affirming care become talking points, which is unfortunate on a number of levels because it can quickly become the topic that everyone is consumed with.”

To combat the spread of misinformation, Caulfield says it’s important to stick with facts backed up by reputable research and evidence.

“I think journalists, I think other politicians, I think other policy communicators should increasingly point to that. We have a body of evidence on all these topics and too often the harm side of the equation comes from a fringe voice,” he says.

“If you do that, there’s some evidence that suggests that can make a difference and you can have an impact on public perceptions.”

The latest polling numbers from Leger show the B.C. Conservatives are second in voter support, behind the NDP and ahead of the BC United Party.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/10/06/bc-politics-conservative-issues-expert/

Vote splitting is such great news for the NDP in BC.

Right wing is now screwed in BC.

Great news as NDP and Greens have been splitting vote for a while.     Great to see it happening to the right wing parties now.....

NDP will dominate now in BC for the immediate future. 

Edited by moosehead

One can hope, but locally here in PG I don't see a change coming.  Federally, we've been solidly Reform/CON as long as I can remember.  Provincially, we are solidly in the BC Lib now rebranded party with the only exception being Lois Boone.  

I would love to be surprised though.

Story 1 - health care

B.C. first province to sign individual health deal with feds

Newly appointed Health Minister Mark Holland says accountability for new federal health funding will largely come from Canadians themselves. Holland smiles as he makes his way to a cabinet shuffle, in Ottawa, Wednesday, July 26, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Newly appointed Health Minister Mark Holland says accountability for new federal health funding will largely come from Canadians themselves. Holland smiles as he makes his way to a cabinet shuffle, in Ottawa, Wednesday, July 26, 2023. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Adrian Wyld
Read More

Posted Oct 10, 2023, 8:57AM PDT.

Last Updated Oct 10, 2023, 11:43AM PDT.

British Columbia is the first province to sign a tailored funding agreement with the federal government as part of the $196-billion health accord the prime minister offered provinces earlier this year.

B.C. will receive $1.2 billion over the next three years from the federal government, “marking the first investment in what will be a 10-year plan for collaboration,” Federal Health Minister Mark Holland said at an announcement at Vancouver General Hospital Tuesday morning.

“This is concrete evidence of our two governments committed to Health Transformation. It is a key building block of the change that will see us go from one of the best system health systems in the world to the best health system in the world,” Holland said.

Under the agreed-upon plan, an “innovative model of care” will be introduced at 83 acute care sites across the province so “nurses can spend more time with patients,” he explained.

“It will help retain our best talent. It will help recruit the people we need. It will ensure folks can access the local care they need where and when they need it.”

“Practically, it will reduce diagnostic and treatment backlogs. It will also mean more prevention, more early conversations, and more bad health averted. It will increase access to mental health substance use and addiction services where B.C. is already a leader in, already doing so much.”

Holland says the province will also see the number of Foundry centres — mental health care centres — across the province double over the next three years.

The province has also agreed to work with the First Nations Health Authority to improve access to culturally appropriate and trauma-informed treatment and care.

“Our partnership will deliver measurable results to patients across the province, that will be felt and seen. This certainly includes essential progress for Indigenous people and other underserved and disadvantaged populations,” Holland said.

“I know the agreement that we’re signing today is going to make a real difference in the lives and health of British Columbians.”

Holland’s provincial counterpart, Health Minister Adrian Dix, explained that the largest share of money in this initial injection will go to supporting nurses.

“Particularly [those] in acute care, so, that’s $200-, $250-, and $300-million in each of the next three years of the agreement, That’s $750-million over three, and that’s the majority of funds,” Dix said Tuesday.

He adds the rest of the money will be distributed to a number of other key areas, including, “diagnostic care, wait lists, and around digital care.”

So far, all provinces and territories have agreed to a bilateral health deal in principle, with the exception of Quebec.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2023/10/10/bc-signs-health-deal-ottawa/

• Upvote 1

Story 2 - resource extraction

Planned B.C. gold mine near Quesnel passes environmental assessment

By Staff  The Canadian Press
Posted October 10, 2023 5:23 pm
B.C. Environment and Climate Change Strategy Minister George Heyman speaks during an announcement at Burns Bog, in Delta, B.C., on Monday, June 29, 2020.
B.C. Environment and Climate Change Strategy Minister George Heyman speaks during an announcement at Burns Bog, in Delta, B.C., on Mon. June 29, 2020. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darryl Dyck

Plans for a gold mine near Wells, in B.C.’s Cariboo region, took a significant step forward with the granting of an environmental assessment certificate.

Environment Minister George Heyman and Mines Minister Josie Osborne said in a statement Tuesday that it has given approval for Osisko Development Corp. to build and operate the underground Cariboo Gold mine, east of Quesnel, provided the project receives all its required permits.

The certificate comes with 22 conditions, including establishing a new drinking water supply for Wells, minimizing impacts to the Barkerville woodland caribou herd, noise requirements and hiring 75 per cent of workers from the region, if possible.

When completed, the mine is expected to produce about 25 million tonnes of ore over 16 years and employ 500 workers during its operation and up to 300 during construction.

Click to play video: 'Tahltan Nation opposes mine on its territory'

2:27Tahltan Nation opposes mine on its territory

The mine is the first to be assessed from start to finish under the province’s 2018 Environmental Assessment Act which created a new process that includes more participation from First Nations

In a document laying out their reasons for making the decision, the ministers say Lhtako Dene Nation and Williams Lake First Nation provided notices of consent, and Xatśull First Nation said they do not oppose the project but consider consent an “ongoing process.”

The ministers say the benefits of the project outweigh the costs, and it is in the public interest.

•  
Click to play video: 'Premier Eby concerned about a possible takeover of Teck Resources'

0:50Premier Eby concerned about a possible takeover of Teck Resources

Granting of the certificate comes after a nearly three-year review led by the provincial Environmental Assessment Office.

The ministers say the conditions on the certificate give them the “confidence to conclude that Cariboo Gold will be carried out such that no significant adverse effects are likely to occur.”

The government says construction costs are expected to contribute an estimated at $588 million to the economy over four years, and the operations another $466 million.

A 200-person work camp will be built at the project site, which is about the current size of the community of Wells.

https://globalnews.ca/news/10016546/planned-bc-mine-passes-environmental-assessment/

5 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I will keep my eyes peeled for the decades of delay and protests because heaven forbid a hole might get dug in the ground

Personally, I think it's apparent there needs to be a balance between environment and economy. Ironically enough, neither environmentalists nor the ones exclusively for economy seem willing to realise that at times.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:03 PM, moosehead said:

Vote splitting is such great news for the NDP in BC.

Right wing is now screwed in BC.

Great news as NDP and Greens have been splitting vote for a while.     Great to see it happening to the right wing parties now.....

NDP will dominate now in BC for the immediate future. 

is it great news?

I'm not sure when the next election rolls around that the BC conservatives will have that big of an impact. 

13 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

is it great news?

I'm not sure when the next election rolls around that the BC conservatives will have that big of an impact. 

They don't have to even be that popular to make an impact. All it takes is a few ridings where it's close. If the Conservatives take 500 votes here and 500 votes there, then the NDP wins those ridings. So absolutely it'll be an issue for the BC United since those 500 votes would have been for the BC United, but suddenly are gone.

Although, if we are to look at polls, it looks like the Conservatives might actually be ahead of the BC United. I don't know how I feel about that.

Edited by The Lock

Just now, The Lock said:

They don't have to even be that popular to make an impact. All it takes is a few ridings where it's close. If the Conservatives take 500 votes here and 500 votes there, then the NDP wins those ridings. So absolutely it'll be an issue for the BC United since those 500 votes would have like gone their way.

Although, if we are to look at polls, it looks like the Conservatives might actually be ahead of the BC United. I don't know how I feel about that.

well, I don't know how thats possible but I guess it is? dunno. Seems weird.

I suspect Eby will win the next election so whatever happens on the right side of the ledger is likely 6 years away. 

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

well, I don't know how thats possible but I guess it is? dunno. Seems weird.

I suspect Eby will win the next election so whatever happens on the right side of the ledger is likely 6 years away. 

Yeah. I'm more concerned about the Conservatives gaining popularity at all because they really tend to go against my beliefs at times. It feels like American politics getting spilled into our province.

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, moosehead said:

Any vote splitting for  the BC  LIEberals is good news for bc citizens....

Honestly, I kind of disagree there. I'm not against the NDP; however, I want to see whatever party we have in office held accountable and always having to look over their shoulder if they mess us. Vote splitting kind of does the opposite of that. Suddenly, they have free reign much like the Liberals did for the longest time, and look at where that got us in the end.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, The Lock said:

Honestly, I kind of disagree there. I'm not against the NDP; however, I want to see whatever party we have in office held accountable and always having to look over their shoulder if they mess us. Vote splitting kind of does the opposite of that. Suddenly, they have free reign much like the Liberals did for the longest time, and look at where that got us in the end.

Yep. A limp opposition is bad for democracy.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. A limp opposition is bad for democracy.

Yeah, I don't even care if it's NDP or BC United in power. They need that accountability. Perhaps I'm a little different in my way of thinking but I look at it where there's times we need 1 party and times where we need the other party. For example, I'm glad the NDP was in power during Covid because I would have likely hated how the Liberals might have handled it. However, if we start moving a little too fast to the left, we might need a BC United "handbrake".

Edited by The Lock
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Sharpshooter said:

It seems like the govt is on board, pending tests and issues like water supplies, etc. 

Well, for British Columbia's sake. Let's hope it's a go. I know the caribou region in the past has been a struggling region. Don't know what it's like these days, but they could probably use the work I'm sure.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Personally, I think it's apparent there needs to be a balance between environment and economy. Ironically enough, neither environmentalists nor the ones exclusively for economy seem willing to realise that at times.

I can't speak to British Columbia but I can speak to Alberta an our oil companies invest millions into new technologies and way to do things more efficient and cleaner. I do agree with your overall point though, if we could have people meet in the middle life will be so much easier haha.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I don't even care if it's NDP or BC United in power. They need that accountability. Perhaps I'm a little different in my way of thinking but I look at it where there's times we need 1 party and times where we need the other party. For example, I'm glad the NDP was in power during Covid because I would have likely hated how the Liberals might have handled it. However, if we start moving a little too fast to the left, we might need a BC United "handbrake".

Agreed on that, Christy would have done something really stupid for a covid response.

40 minutes ago, The Lock said:

NDP and Greens have been vote splitting for years.  High time that the Lieberals feel the pain of vote splitting now with the Cons.

Will make the playiing field more even ////

• Like 1