Canadian Military Thread

Gurn

Update on the Surface Combatant program.

Land based testing facility being built

http://tridentnewspaper.com/lbtf/

Early site preparation work

The first phase of site preparation, brush clearing and tree removal, occurred at Hartlen Point from early March to April 2023. Work took place within this time period to ensure site preparation activities avoided the bird and bat breeding and migratory windows, as per the recommendation outlined in Canadian British Consulting Limited’s (CBCL) Bird and Bat Assessment report.

The second phase of site preparation began in April 2023 and will continue until December 2023. Work will take place in cleared areas only, as per the CBCL Bird and Bat Assessment report recommendation; no additional brush clearing or tree removal will occur during this time. The second phase of site work consists of laying gravel for roadway access to the building site and rough grading (already completed), delineating of the construction zone for security and safety purposes, extension of site services (connecting to Halifax Water) and construction of a water meter building.

Construction update

Construction of the Canadian Surface Combatant Land-Based Testing Facility (LBTF) will take place at Hartlen Point in Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia between March 2024 and late summer 2027. This construction activity includes building the facility and supporting infrastructure, including security fencing, parking lot, roads, and utilities. See the most recent rendering of the LBTF below (Figure 1) for reference. While construction is expected to be complete by summer 2027, timing is subject to change based on the design and construction process.

Construction activities will take place over 50 metres away from the shoreline within the designated project area which includes the area within the future LBTF fence line as well as the roadway leading to the site. See the most recent site plan below (Figure 2) for reference.

Coastal erosion and shoreline stability concerns are being reviewed by the project team. Work is underway to assess potential to stabilize both the northeast and southeast portions of the shoreline adjacent to the future LBTF fence line. Impact to water-based recreation or commercial activities is anticipated to be low, although there would likely be restricted access to the beach during the implementation of any shoreline stabilization.

What to expect during construction 

• Main work hours are from Monday to Friday between 7 am and 5 pm. Exceptions may be made for after-hours work but will be limited. 
  • Public access and safety are a high priority. Members of the public may continue using the Hartlen Point property and accessing the shoreline in front of the construction site for recreational activities until further notice. Public access within the designated project area/construction zone is not permitted to ensure the safety of community members and work crews
  • There is some construction signage in place at Hartlen Point presently. Additional signage and construction fencing will be placed in Spring 2024 to further delineate the construction zone perimeter. Safety and security commissionaires will monitor all activities within the designated project area/construction zone. 
  • There may be dust, noise, construction equipment traffic, and temporary closures to the site’s access road. DND is making every effort to reduce impacts and your patience is appreciated.  

Traffic management

We recognize that there are concerns about existing road conditions and traffic in the region. We take those concerns very seriously, especially the safety of our neighbours in areas where we build and operate. As part of this project, we have undertaken a traffic study with a third-party consultant which is available in the ‘Studies, reports and other documentation’ section below. We also continue to work with the Halifax Regional Municipality and our consultants and contractors to implement measures to ensure the safety of the community during periods of construction, operation, and in the event of an emergency.

We continue to welcome community feedback on any concerns with traffic increases throughout the duration of the project and appreciate the community’s patience during the construction period. For inquiries or to report an incident, please contact CFBHalifaxPublicAffairs@forces.gc.ca  

Environmental update 

Respect of the environment and wildlife continues to be a top priority for DND and we acknowledge and respect the thriving biodiversity and ecosystem at Hartlen Point. 

On behalf of DND, third-party, unbiased experts have conducted several environmental studies over four seasons and outlined recommended mitigation measures. The project team will proceed with application of mitigation measures, which include minimizing impacts to wetlands, site clearing outside of bird and wildlife nesting periods, and limiting work to the minimum required footprint. Work is also underway to ensure the proposed wastewater treatment system is positioned outside the boundaries of the existing wetlands to ensure no negative impact. For a copy of the complete studies and for full detail on mitigation measures, please refer to the links in the ‘Studies, reports and other documentation’ section below. 

In March 2023, the Minister of Environment & Climate Change Canada received a public request to designate the proposed LBTF project site under subsection 9(1) of the Impact Assessment Act. In Summer 2023, the Impact Assessment Agency of Canada, on behalf of Environment and Climate Change Canada, announced its decision that the LBTF is not a designated project. More information on this decision can be found here

Overall, DND will design the facility to meet green building objectives for net-zero readiness and achieve Green Globes certification. Net-zero readiness means that the building is being designed to produce zero or negative greenhouse gas emissions over the course of a typical year operating. Achieving this means reducing carbon emissions in construction materials, as well as reducing greenhouse gas emissions once the building is operational. Achieving a Green Globes certification means that the building has undergone a comprehensive assessment process that evaluates its performance in many key areas, including energy efficiency, indoor air quality, water conservation, materials selection, and site selection and development. Green Globes certification focuses on the health, comfort and well-being of building occupants, as well as the environmental performance of the building. Importantly, these aspects of the design will ensure that impacts to Hartlen Point’s wetlands and wildlife are minimized.

Studies, reports and other documentation

• Environmental Effects Determination  click here for the full-length report (English only)
      • Soil Characterization by SNC Lavalin (SNCL) – click here for the full-length report (English only)
      • Wetland Assessment by Canadian British Consulting Limited (CBCL) – click here for the full-length report (English only)
      • Bird and Bat Assessment by Canadian British Consulting Limited (CBCL) – click here for the full-length report (English only)
      • Traffic Impact Statement (Stantec) – click here for the full-length report (English only)
      • The presentation from the first community engagement session held on March 3, 2022 can be found here.
      • The presentation from the second community engagement session held on January 31, 2023 can be found here. A transcript of this session is available here.
      • Land-Based Testing Facility site selection bulletin  click here.

Operational considerations

The project team continues working to advance Radio Frequency (RF) licencing in coordination with Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) Canada. Safety of the local community and the environment is paramount and the project team will comply with Health Canada Safety Code 6. ISED also mandates public consultation as part of the RF licencing process and the project team will comply with the standard approach. As ship design progresses, further information on RF emissions will be available and once all required technical data is available, the RF consultation and licensing processes can formally commence; this effort must be completed before any antennae are constructed. For more information on Safety Code 6 and the licencing process, please refer to the links below. 

In parallel, the project team continues to work on determination of post-construction operational and security constraints. As more information is available, it will be shared with the public. The project team continues to strive towards minimal impact to fishing, surfing, birding, golfing, hiking, and other land and water-based activities to the extent possible. 

More information

During a public information session in January 2023, the LBTF project team committed to an additional information session ahead of construction. At this time, there is no additional information to be delivered beyond the construction updates provided above. With that said, the project team recognizes that members of the public have questions regarding various aspects of this project including the RF emissions and licensing processes and the future operation of the facility. When further information becomes available on these topics, updates will be provided.

Project inquiries

Contact us! We welcome questions on this project at: CFBHalifaxPu

--------------------------------------------

more at link.

• Thanks 1

Al of this and the minority government releases a statement about looking to cut a billion per year in military spending after promising to increase spending for NATO.

This is double speak and this makes me less than happy especially at a time where we continue to help fund and promote involvement with Ukraine

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

Al of this and the minority government releases a statement about looking to cut a billion per year in military spending after promising to increase spending for NATO.

This is double speak and this makes me less than happy especially at a time where we continue to help fund and promote involvement with Ukraine

Writing my MP about this.  We're in a riding where the military is the second largest employer and she should know better.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2023 at 12:49 PM, Gurn said:

weird to even look at cutting.

They had been doing a decent job, on this file, though I always argue for more spending on the military.

Now they can lose all the 'good vibes'.

I think that's very debatable. It's been more of the same delay. Delay delay. Our ships won't floating in the water until probably into the 20 30s and our fighter jets will be 50 years old before we have our new fleet. I do like that they were trying to grow the military. I don't know what the exact numbers are right now but I know that was in their plan but to see cuts come to the military and makes it difficult to understand how they grow it. More of the same essentially been the same ever since. Trudeau's dad was prime minister cut cut cut, conservative or liberal doesn't matter.

On 9/29/2023 at 11:18 AM, Warhippy said:

To be honest, I think NATO doesn't deserve our participation. NATO is standing idly by as Ukraine is getting invaded. The other countries are sort of coming to Ukraine independently. This means that NATO is like the League of Nations. Great idea on paper, but when push comes to shove, the international 'pressure' is nonexistent when Russia does something big.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Great! Now we won't even have an armed forces because they can't afford to live in Trudeau's, Canada.

Edit: I think Trudeau bit off more than he could chew on this one. Accepting the Ukrainians was a good idea. It's a no brainer really. But our housing issues and cost of living is quite high. Only the privileged can live comfortably here. Don't get me wrong, I'll choose Canada over the United States because it is SO MUCH safer here, at least where I live.

Edited by PureQuickness
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Great! Now we won't even have an armed forces because they can't afford to live in Trudeau's, Canada.

I was recently talking to a retired armed forces member who finished her career in Esquimalt. She had re-upped for 3 years on request of a superior who she held great respect. At the time of her final retirement she said she was doing the work of 2 people. Her husband, also in the forces, is finished this year. She said morale in the Canadian Forces is bad. A lot of their equipment is old and not operable.

She said we haven't come close to seeing how bad it will get. Many people joined up to serve in Afganistan and their their terms are starting to top out. Not many will re-enlist because of conditions. 

• Sad 1
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Edit: I think Trudeau bit off more than he could chew on this one. Accepting the Ukrainians was a good idea. It's a no brainer really. But our housing issues and cost of living is quite high. Only the privileged can live comfortably here. Don't get me wrong, I'll choose Canada over the United States because it is SO MUCH safer here, at least where I live.

The Ukrainians don't have anything to do with the housing issue. Trudeau has been bringing in a million immigrants a year and certain provinces like British Columbia, for example in certain areas make it very difficult to build houses. This country uses immigration and home construction as a means to prop up the economy, but unfortunately immigration is moving faster than home construction. I think immediately we should subsidize the housing for all Canadian soldiers in this predicament because there's no quick fix to this problem that has been created in this country.

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I was recently talking to a retired armed forces member who finished her career in Esquimalt. She had re-upped for 3 years on request of a superior who she held great respect. At the time of her final retirement she said she was doing the work of 2 people. Her husband, also in the forces, is finished this year. She said morale in the Canadian Forces is bad. A lot of their equipment is old and not operable.

She said we haven't come close to seeing how bad it will get. Many people joined up to serve in Afganistan and their their terms are starting to top out. Not many will re-enlist because of conditions. 

I'm not surprised to hear these stories. It is a shame what this government and governments before have done to our military. This government talks a good talk about investing in the military and then budget after budget makes cuts to the military. Very sad!

Edited by Ryan Strome
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

To be honest, I think NATO doesn't deserve our participation. NATO is standing idly by as Ukraine is getting invaded. The other countries are sort of coming to Ukraine independently. This means that NATO is like the League of Nations. Great idea on paper, but when push comes to shove, the international 'pressure' is nonexistent when Russia does something big.

While there certainly could be an argument made about participation in NATO I think in this case I would disagree with you because NATO is a defensive alliance and Russia did not attack a NATO member. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The Ukrainians don't have anything to do with the housing issue. Trudeau has been bringing in a million immigrants a year and certain provinces like British Columbia, for example in certain areas make it very difficult to build houses. This country uses immigration and home construction as a means to prop up the economy, but unfortunately immigration is moving faster than home construction. I think immediately we should subsidize the housing for all Canadian soldiers in this predicament because there's no quick fix to this problem that has been created in this country.

I'm not surprised to hear these stories. It is a shame what this government and governments before have done to our military. This government talks a good talk about investing in the military and then budget after budget makes cuts to the military. Very sad!

I'd suggest building housing on base as a long-term solution as well.  Subsidies for living in more expensive cities such as Victoria also need to be brought in.  Bottom line is that the military has been underfunded for decades regardless of who is in power.  We need to be spending around 3% of our GDP towards catching up while it's still possible.  There's going to be some serious issues training new recruits if we wait too long and lose our most experienced people to the private sector.

57 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Are they in the navy? The CAF, especially the navy, is bleeding people like never before. It's really an unprecedented situation. I also served for a bit, but I decided to release.

1 hour ago, PureQuickness said:

No, if russia does something big against a NATO member I'm extremely confident they will step up. We have a massive frontier facing russia, NATO is a fantastic deal for Canada.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Playoff Beered said:

No, if russia does something big against a NATO member I'm extremely confident they will step up. We have a massive frontier facing russia, NATO is a fantastic deal for Canada.

Leaving NATO is a ludicrous idea considering what Russia does to countries that aren't members.  There's a reason Sweden and Finland suddenly chose to join.

• ThereItIs 1

Canada continues to slide in diplomatic circles and continues to renege on spending commitments on the Canadian military. 

1) Canadian committed to upgrade the 800 man force in Latvia to a light brigade force of 2700 men + equipment. The estimated cost is $2 billion. The planning for 2026 readiness has not happened as yet. 2026 is not going to happen.

2) Canadian Forces are currently short by 16,000. Members are retiring at record numbers and many cite poor morale, housing and equipment. 

3) General Steven Whelan has 2021 charges dropped due to lack of evidence

4) General Mark Norman is exonerated on charges made of leaking secret documents

5) NORAD upgrade of $38 billion has minimal Canadian involvement

6) USA asks Canada to lead a Haiti mission to bring order but Trudeau declines 

7) Canada does not participate in NATO's largest air exercise in decades this past summer. 

9) G7 condemns Hamas attack on Israel without Canada signing on.

10) 5 Eyes Alliance does not include Canada in all their intelligence gathering

11) Retired General Mark Norman says Canada is no longer considered a serious player in global affairs

In light of the Ukraine war and the war in Israel renewed focus on the Canadian military is necessary. IPSOS survey indicates 3 of 4 Canadians agree.  

On 10/10/2023 at 4:15 PM, Playoff Beered said:

Of course it is. We don't spend near as much as we should and we depend on the American lead coalition to protect us.

On 10/10/2023 at 4:16 PM, King Heffy said:

Leaving NATO is a ludicrous idea considering what Russia does to countries that aren't members.  There's a reason Sweden and Finland suddenly chose to join.

I'm not advocating to leave NATO but as if the United States would allow Russia to attack its neighbour lol

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/f-35-fighter-jets-to-cost-canada-nearly-74-billion-pbo/ar-AA1jh8lo?bncnt=BroadcastNews_TopStories&ocid=UCPNC2&FORM=BNC001&pc=U531&cvid=cbdf5c6b91794ee3b6bfb26e7ba93e42&ei=53

Owning and operating a fleet of F-35 fighter jets over the next four and a half decades is expected to cost Canadian taxpayers as much as $73.9 billion, the Parliamentary Officer said Thursday in a new report.

Yves Giroux says the figure represents the full life cycle cost of the advanced aircraft, from development and preparation through operations to final disposal.

He said the estimate is broadly in line with the estimates produced by the Department of National Defence, which has said it anticipates the total price tag to be somewhere around $70 billion.

The first four of the planned 88 aircraft are expected to arrive in 2026. Deliveries will increase annually to a maximum of 18 per year in 2029. The final tranche is expected in 2032.

The Liberal government formally announced in January that it would buy the U.S.-manufactured stealth fighter — ending a more than decade-long public debate about which aircraft should replace the air force's aging CF-18 jets, which were purchased in the 1980s.

At the announcement, the defence minister at the time, Anita Anand, pegged the cost of buying the fighters at $19 billion. 

"The total cost of the acquisition phase, including not just the purchase cost of the fighter jets but all acquisition phase activities, is projected to be $19.8 billion, according to our analysis," Giroux said in a statement.

The operations and sustainment phase is estimated at $53.8 billion, he said.

The last aircraft is expected to be retired in 2060-61, when it has reached the end of its useful life.

The new estimate is a far cry from the original projection, presented 13 years ago by the former Conservative government, which said buying and operating the aircraft would cost $29 billion over a 20-year period. 

That estimate was questioned by a previous parliamentary budget officer, Kevin Page, whose report kicked off a series of public battles that resulted in the Conservative government shelving the proposal to buy the F-35 without a competition.

The Liberals came to power in 2015 promising not to buy the Lockheed-Martin-built aircraft.

On 10/10/2023 at 12:50 PM, Ryan Strome said:

Not a fan of Trudeau but this isn't just s liberal issue ... it happened under Mulroney as well

When I was in during the 80s we had privates with night time delivery jobs and bouncing jobs on the weekends. Food bank use was high

The issue is privates pay is only enough for a single living in quarters / shacks

Until you hit corporal at least your pay sucks badly.

Trained privates pay should be in par with rcmp constables pay.

Military wife's cant hold normal jobs as st the drop of a hat they become single parents for extended periods of time.

Married quarters on base are not free and they charge market value which at privates and now even corporals pay isn't enough 

• Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadian-military-begins-investigation-into-allegation-officer-threatened-to-execute-sailors-on-supply-ship/ar-AA1js98n

AA1jrVw0.img?w=768&h=576&m=6

"

The Canadian Forces has begun an investigation after an officer on board its leased supply ship allegedly threatened to execute fellow sailors because he was unhappy with their performance.

During the recent incident, the sailors on board Naval Replenishment Unit Motor Vessel   Asterix were lined up in three rows at which point the officer allegedly told them he was going to have them shot.

In addition, another officer was removed from MV Asterix and sent back to Canada after an altercation with a senior Royal Canadian Navy member during a cocktail reception in a foreign port, sailors tell this newspaper.

Sailors are raising concerns about the incidents and other allegations of harassment and wrongdoing happening on board the refuelling vessel currently operating in the Indo-Pacific region, in the vicinity of the Philippine Sea.

The Canadian Forces has confirmed to this newspaper that it has launched two investigations into the alleged incidents.

National Defence spokeswoman Andrée-Anne Poulin said as a result two military members of the Asterix crew have been sent home to Canada.

“The Canadian Armed Forces is aware of a series of complaints that have been made against a member of NRU Asterix, which allege that this member has been making harmful and inappropriate comments towards his subordinates,” Poulin said of the alleged execution threat.

“A disciplinary investigation is ongoing and further comment would be inappropriate until that investigation concludes.”

In the case of the alleged fight at the party, Poulin said the Asterix leadership decided to send that officer back to Canada after an “interaction deemed contrary to the professional standards expected of CAF member.” The member was not on duty at the time of the alleged incident, Poulin said.

She said the results of a unit investigation into that incident have not been made available, so it would be inappropriate to provide further comment until it concludes.

The Canadian Armed Forces takes all allegations of misconduct seriously, she added.

The 26,000-tonne MV Asterix is a commercial vessel that has been converted for naval resupply purposes by Davie Shipbuilding in Quebec and leased to the Canadian government by the firm’s affiliate Federal Fleet. Federal Fleet has a civilian crew of 37 who operate the vessel on a day-to-day basis.

The Canadian Forces has its own crew of 107 personnel on board who conduct resupply missions, providing fuel, water and various supplies to Canadian and allied warships. In addition, some military crew members on the supply ship provide medical support.

Asterix left Canadian Forces Esquimalt in British Columbia in mid-August, along with two frigates, HMCS Ottawa and HMCS Vancouver.

During their near five-months at sea, the ships will conduct a series of bilateral and multinational exercises and engagements with regional militaries and security partners, according to the Canadian Forces. HMCS Ottawa will focus on Southeast Asia, while HMCS Vancouver will focus on Northeast Asia. During its deployment, HMCS Vancouver will also contribute to the monitoring of the United Nations sanctions against North Korea, through Operation NEON.

The Royal Canadian Navy had at one time operated three supply ships of its own but by 2014 all had been retired from service. Ongoing delays in the construction of the two Joint Support Ships prompted the then Conservative Party government in 2015 to enter into the deal with Davie and Federal Fleet for Asterix.

The Liberal government originally tried to derail the $670 million Asterix project shortly after being elected in the fall of 2015. But the Liberals eventually backed down after much pushback from the Quebec government and the shipyard and its workers. The Asterix project continued and the converted ship was delivered on time and on budget.