[discussion] Comparing our starting lineup to last year’s: part 3 - the third line

Huggy Bear

Comparing our starting lineup to last year’s: part 3 - the third line  

21 members have voted

1. 1. How will the third line perform compared to last year?

• Better
    • Worse
    • About the same

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/2023 at 02:00 AM

With practice lines this morning revealing a more realistic starting NHL lineup, how does it compare to last years?

Third line : Upgraded Center, the return of Höglander, and an improved PK

• Höglander was given an early look on the top line. While he didn’t produce offence, he displayed his engine, speed, and at least one big hit, and takeaway vs the Oilers. Newly waiver eligible, the team will look to find a place for him. Tonight will be his debut on a smaller, but fast and skilled, third line, facing lesser opponents. Is he an upgrade over last years’ third line wingers?

• Suter was reportedly not in great shape to start camp. In spite of this, he has shown reasonably well in two preseason games, including some early chemistry with Garland.  Suter offers a strong two-way game, including decent offence, and has the potential to be our best two way pivot since Brandon Sutter. He will likely center our second PK unit.

• Garland is one of our best 5 on 5 producers, and has shown the ability to drive play on his line. He’s looked good to start the preseason, with a screen on Hughes PP goal, and scoring our lone goal vs. Seattle, on a feed from Suter. How will he look in a full season with more skilled linemates? Will he and Höglander create a skilled pest identity for this line, generating secondary offence and drawing penalties? Will he get regular PP time on the second unit? 

What are your thoughts? How will this line perform compared to last year’s?

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Canuck You said:

You couldn't just combine this in just one thread eh?

image.gif.b841d60a70f4e0be5ff88c0cde57db48.gif

Lol, I started with one thread, but it would have been a couple pages long. I also wanted to analyze this line by line, and keep the conversations / poll results more detailed…

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

In retrospect, top 6 and bottom six would have worked better. I’ll make one final thread for the defence. Last one, I promise! 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Huggy Bear said:

Lol, I started with one thread, but it would have been a couple pages long. I also wanted to analyze this line by line, and keep the conversations / poll results more detailed…

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

In retrospect, top 6 and bottom six would have worked better. I’ll make one final thread for the defence. Last one, I promise! 

I'm just playin' , Good Job!

• Cheers 1

I like Garland and Suter's fit together, they've worked well off each other.  Beauvillier or Hoglander would probably both be good fits.  That said, I do hope they could add some size for the other wing, but if the 3 of them gel, they could be one of the better 3rd lines we've had in awhile.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

I like Garland and Suter's fit together, they've worked well off each other.  Beauvillier or Hoglander would probably both be good fits.  That said, I do hope they could add some size for the other wing, but if the 3 of them gel, they could be one of the better 3rd lines we've had in awhile.

I could very well see Mikheyev on the 3rd line full time. While he's not overly physical he does have the size and speed that could mesh really well with Suter and Garland. 

• Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Pears said:

I could very well see Mikheyev on the 3rd line full time. While he's not overly physical he does have the size and speed that could mesh really well with Suter and Garland. 

agreed, I wouldn’t be upset to see him on a dedicated checking line

Edited by Huggy Bear
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Garland is clearly playing the Hansen on this line, he's the most valuable player and the one who can move up when needed.   Too bad his cap hit isn't one million less.    Voted the same.    Maybe when Ilya Mikheyev comes back that will bump Beau down, but don't think he's well suited in the bottom six.   Or the top six.   Also overpaid for what he brings to the table.   NYI cap dump, so get that. 

Tochett is going to have to waive Beau or Hogs.   

Edited by IBatch

On 9/30/2023 at 7:36 PM, Crabcakes said:

Better centres in the bottom 6 are going to make both bottom 6 lines better.  We still need to see more size, grit and speed on the wings.

I still think that the smaller centres Suter and Blueger are temporary.  Tocchet wants size

Sure Tochett would love size, but what he really wants, our guys who don't cheat and do the little things right.   Uncomfortable.    Garland, Suter and Bleugar seem to not mind being uncomfortable.   Beau,  Kuzmenko - seem to have an aversion.   Maybe that helps Hogs make the team.   But think his days are numbered, have to be able to put up points too.    There are loads of AHLers, that can do the same thing Hogs has managed the last year.    Wouldn't be shocked to see us pick up a waiver wire player and accept waiving a few of our own.    None of the fringe guys or AHL guys have shown enough in the pre-season, to bump a vet. 

Edited by IBatch

On 9/30/2023 at 8:22 PM, Huggy Bear said:

agreed, I wouldn’t be upset to see him on a dedicated checking line

Once we acquire the right players, could see this happening.    For now just have to work with what we've got, our third line isn't terrible, and it's not great either.   Somewhere in the middle.    Pearson would have helped, that said he's the only guy we could move without it turning into a painful exchange for future's, and we for sure needed a vet back-up for Demko.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1