[Speculation] Latest On Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin

Latest On Elias Lindholm, Noah Hanifin

Eric Francis joined Sportsnet’s Big Show with Rusic and Rose podcast and provided updates on some of the Calgary Flames’ biggest extension rumors. Francis shared, most notably, that the return to training camp has provided top center Elias Lindholm with a newfound energy to get a deal done. This increased motivation was also seen in negotiations with Mikael Backlund, who recently signed a contract extension and received the team’s captaincy.

Francis shared that the new excitement could see Lindholm signing an extension as soon as the start of the regular season.

However, Francis didn’t share that optimism on Noah Hanifin‘s looming contract extension. He shared with the Sportsnet crew that Hanifin is close friends with Matthew Tkachuk – his former teammate with the USNTDP and the Flames – who left Calgary for an exciting life in Florida. Francis said that Hanifin is drawn by the idea of moving to America as a result, drawing a line in the sand for talks of a new deal in Calgary.

These updates could leave Calgary with a locked-in top-line center, but without their top defender, entering the 2024-25 campaign. Their ability to replace Hanifin will likely depend on how much Lindholm demands on a new deal, with Francis sharing that he may be able to receive a salary around, or above, $9MM on the open market.

A discount may be needed to keep him with a Flames lineup that currently has 11 players set to become free agents next summer, although Lindholm is still sure to get a significant raise from his current $4.85MM cap hit. The Flames are currently projected to have $30.95MM in cap space next summer, with notable players like Lindholm, Hanifin, Chris Tanev, and Nikita Zadorov all needing new deals. What space they can find in that budget to add new talents to the roster will be worth monitoring.

October 4th, 2023 at 10:09am CST • By Gabriel Foley

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/latest-on-elias-lindholm-noah-hanifin.html#ref=home

• Thanks 1

They need to get NH signed. If they don't they need to trade him. I cannot imagine Calgary fans would be happy about losing another substantial player for nothing. As for EL I hate to say it but if I were them I would probably trade him because they're going to put themselves in another situation like Kadri where they will be overpaying an aging player who has shown some decline and at this point with their team would be a terrible idea. Like they might be one of the oldest teams in the league or at least in a few years. They will by far be the oldest team in the league. If I were them I would try to trade EL to maybe Boston and try and get NH signed. Otherwise move him at the deadline and just rebuild because that's an aging team that has no decent future. I mean why be a cap team of aging players if you aren't even going to be making the playoffs?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

They need to get NH signed. If they don't they need to trade him. I cannot imagine Calgary fans would be happy about losing another substantial player for nothing. As for EL I hate to say it but if I were them I would probably trade him because they're going to put themselves in another situation like Kadri where they will be overpaying an aging player who has shown some decline and at this point with their team would be a terrible idea. Like they might be one of the oldest teams in the league or at least in a few years. They will by far be the oldest team in the league. If I were them I would try to trade EL to maybe Boston and try and get NH signed. Otherwise move him at the deadline and just rebuild because that's an aging team that has no decent future. I mean why be a cap team of aging players if you aren't even going to be making the playoffs?

I think Lindholm ends up staying but Hanifin goes, with Kadri and Huberdeau up front it doesn't make sense not to keep Lindholm but I don't think Hanifin wants to stay. Calgary could very well make the playoffs this season, they were unusually awful in one goal games last season and I just don't see that happening again. Marky bouncing back alongside Huberdeau would go a long way. 

Hanifin would likely return futures in the form of picks and prospects imo, but that's not the end of the world because Calgary should be toeing the line between restocking their system and trying to compete anyway. With the contracts they have on the books it doesn't make sense not to imo. 

46 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I am almost at the point of feeling bad for Calgary fans. 

I have no doubt that Huberdeau will have a bounce back year, but the future is bleak for Calgary cap-wise.  

Hope they give Lindholm a huge extension 

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, RWJC said:

However, Francis didn’t share that optimism on Noah Hanifin‘s looming contract extension. He shared with the Sportsnet crew that Hanifin is close friends with Matthew Tkachuk – his former teammate with the USNTDP and the Flames – who left Calgary for an exciting life in Florida. Francis said that Hanifin is drawn by the idea of moving to America as a result, drawing a line in the sand for talks of a new deal in Calgary.

Ouch ... something tells me there was a culture in the locker room where Gaudreau and Tkachuck were both talking about leaving Calgary to play in the US. And it just seeped in the lockeroom where everyone was influenced by that idea.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

I am almost at the point of feeling bad for Calgary fans. 

I have no doubt that Huberdeau will have a bounce back year, but the future is bleak for Calgary cap-wise.  

Hope they give Lindholm a huge extension 

I'm not so sure. I agree he has not looked very good in the preseason.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

I'm not so sure. I agree he has not looked very good in the preseason.

Well. He is 30. Might be the start of a decline? But it’s weird cause last year he had 115 points with Florida before the trade. No way he could decline that sharply right? 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well. He is 30. Might be the start of a decline? But it’s weird cause last year he had 115 points with Florida before the trade. No way he could decline that sharply right? 

I mean one wouldn't think so but watching lots of flames games last year( I live in Calgary) he did not look like an elite player. I think this contract could turn out to be Scott Gomez terrible.

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Ouch ... something tells me there was a culture in the locker room where Gaudreau and Tkachuck were both talking about leaving Calgary to play in the US. And it just seeped in the lockeroom where everyone was influenced by that idea.

• Haha 2

If I were them I'd wait to see how the season unfolds, Calgary could easily regain some form if their new coach and Huberdeau, Kadri, their D and Marky get back on track. They're all veterans in their prime so could easily turn it around and be a 3-4th team in the division. Then again, that was a big drop off last year so they could keep free falling. It all rests on their stars.

If they're in a playoff spot I see Hanifin even re-signing but if they're a fringe team he's gone.

On 10/5/2023 at 8:34 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

If I were them I'd wait to see how the season unfolds, Calgary could easily regain some form if their new coach and Huberdeau, Kadri, their D and Marky get back on track. They're all veterans in their prime so could easily turn it around and be a 3-4th team in the division. Then again, that was a big drop off last year so they could keep free falling. It all rests on their stars.

If they're in a playoff spot I see Hanifin even re-signing but if they're a fringe team he's gone.

My thoughts is they fail just cause they are Calgary.