Dahlin signs Huge deal

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hughes at 4 less per is such a steal for us. 

Closer to 3 not 4 Hughes is at 7.85 I know you are bias but I would still take dahlin he will be up there yearly with makar in Norris conversation. Hughes only chance at winning the Norris imo is if he pulls something like karlsson. He’s far superior to karlsson in defensive ability. But makar dahlin fox is superior to Hughes in defensive ability by a bit and he would need to be well ahead offensively to even have a chance

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Not comparable in anyway shape or form but I don’t think ep will get anything less than 11 now. Considering dahlin is prolly not quite top 5 in his position. Unless he absolutely blows it this year 

Depends on the term for Petey. Shorter term will bring the cap allocation down. 

Just now, wai_lai416 said:

Closer to 3 not 4 Hughes is at 7.85 I know you are bias but I would still take dahlin he will be up there yearly with makar in Norris conversation. Hughes only chance at winning the Norris imo is if he pulls something like karlsson. He’s far superior to karlsson in defensive ability. But makar dahlin fox is superior to Hughes in defensive ability by a bit and he would need to be well ahead offensively to even have a chance

64F1CF29-9A2C-4069-A40D-137CBEA44341.gif

• Haha 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

I would argue shorter term will bring it even higher. Unless it’s the player that’s demanding short term

Longer term takes into account more UFA years and an increasing cap. Shorter term will certainly be less. 
If Dahlin signed for less years his cap allocation would be closer to Makar. 

• Upvote 1

Who's more important to a team - Dahlin or Petey? Dahlin is a 22+ minute top pairing PPG defenceman still arguably yet to hit his prime. Defends well, not physical, great puck mover and skater. You could argue is/is going to be a top 5 NHL defenceman soon.

Petey is a 100pt two way center. Again, arguably is/will be a top 5 NHL center or close.

I'd usually side with the defenceman but Petey's defensive ability puts him over the edge IMO. Very similar players in all fairness - an offensive defenceman and a defensive forward. I think 11M for both is fair, 11M for a defenceman seems rediculous but is probably what they're worth, they just haven't been getting paid like this ever before. 10M for Dahlin and 11M for Petey sounds better but it's about time defencemen got paid - they're on the ice more and do a lot more than your average forward. Petey isn't your average forward though, he'll be in the Selke (and maybe Hart according to some people) conversation next year.

Compared to Hughes though it's pretty funny but Hughes doesn't defend as well as Dahlin (not by much) and of course signed his deal a lot younger which is a lot more team friendly. Now Quinn is worth 9M easily but I think he'll be a Norris candidate this year so worth a bit more.

Lots of outrage on twitter, but I think this deal is fair.

An $11M dollar deal will have similar cap implications as an $8-9M deal in 3 years. Cap goes up and it doesn't look so bad.

Plus I'd consider Dahlin's age of 23. He had his best year last season and there is room for more growth.

37 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Longer term takes into account more UFA years and an increasing cap. Shorter term will certainly be less. 

Of course. Longer term costs more AAV for younger players, shorter costs more for older players.  Anybody with at least 2 brain cells can see that.

Just now, WeneedLumme said:

Of course. Longer term costs more AAV for younger players, shorter costs more for older players.  Anybody with at least 2 brain cells can see that.

“I would argue shorter term will bring it even higher.Unless it’s the player that’s demanding short term“

Are you suggesting the poster @wai_lai416 has less than two brain cells? He suggested otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

“I would argue shorter term will bring it even higher.Unless it’s the player that’s demanding short term“

Are you suggesting the poster @wai_lai416 has less than two brain cells? He suggested otherwise. 

54 minutes ago, Alflives said:

again that would depend on the age of the player.. if a player is signing a 4 year deal for his age 27-31 you don't think he would ask for a higher aav than if he was signing a 8 year deal hat would take him to 35? say 4 year at 12mil vs 8 years at 10.5? it's guaranteed he would get a 4 year deal from 32-35 that would add up to at the very minimum 9mil just to be equal?

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Well, it's pretty obvious that a contract, in addition to reflecting the expected changes in the salary cap, is going to be based on the expected productivity/value of the player through the latter part of the contract.

Three quarters of the way through his contract, Dahlin will be 29 years old and can reasonably be expected to be as good as or even better than he is right now.

But a player who signs an eight-year contract when he is 30, is almost certainly NOT going to be as productive and valuable when he is in his late 30s as he is when he signs it. 

Are these things truly not obvious?

Edited by WeneedLumme

1 minute ago, WeneedLumme said:

Well, it's pretty obvious that a contract, in addition to reflecting the expected changes in the salary cap, is going to be based on the expected productivity/value of the player through the latter part of the contract.

Three quarters of the way through his contract, Dahlin will be 29 years old and can reasonably be expected to be as good as or even better than he is right now.

But a player who signs an eight-year contract when he his 30, is almost certainly NOT going to be as productive and valuable when he is in his late 30s as he is when he signs it. 

Are these things truly not obvious?

Yup. I agree. But you’re responding to the wrong poster. @wai_lai416 is who you’re pointing out reality to. 

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. I agree. But you’re responding to the wrong poster. @wai_lai416 is who you’re pointing out reality to. 

I generally don't respond to blatant trolls once they have clearly demonstrated what they are. It is pointless, since they do not acknowledge facts or logic.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RakuRaku said:

I honestly don't know how we can keep Petey, Hughes, Kuzmenko, Demko and Miller long term... Unless we use rookies and AHLers for rest of roster!!

That's why it's important to draft well, so you can have an ongoing supply of young talented ELC players to balance out your superstars' cap hits.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

Not comparable in anyway shape or form but I don’t think ep will get anything less than 11 now. Considering dahlin is prolly not quite top 5 in his position. Unless he absolutely blows it this year 

Agreed. But I've been saying Petey is going to get 11.25-12 since the early summer when people were still living in an under 10 fantasy world

• Upvote 1

Good deal for Buffalo, he's their engine from the back end the way Hughes is for us, although he's arguably better than Hughes. If Hughes were up for renewal now he'd be getting something similar, just wait til his next deal.

Takes him right through his prime.

• Upvote 1