Dahlin signs Huge deal

3 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Agreed. But I've been saying Petey is going to get 11.25-12 since the early summer when people were still living in an under 10 fantasy world

Assuming that Petey and Hronek have good seasons (and stay healthy) I fully expect we're going to have to spend $18-19 million to resign them this year.

I was booking Petey at $12 million and whatevers left over $6-7 million for Hronek. Would like to see Hronek play a full season without injuries to see what we're getting though/

However if #1 D-men are getting Dahlin contracts we might be in trouble. I'm not saying Hronek is as good as Dahlin just that is raises the $$$ expectation on the next tier of good defensemen. I could be wrong but..... IMO Buffalo probably has to overpay some of it's players to stay in Buffalo. Buffalo has been where hockey careers go to die, for awhile now. However their having a resurgense of late and the team is definately on the rise. To keep their good players from leaving I feel they might be overpaying a little.

Just my 2 cents 

12 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Buffalo, in my opinion, has the most exciting young core in hockey. Yes, they don't have the greatest track record, but there is few teams I would trade our entire roster straight across for, and Buffalo is one of them.

I've had Petey at 11.25-12 for awhile, and I think we will be thankful if Hronek comes in under 8. There's a reason why a young Detroit team traded him, and it's not his quality of play.

Def agree. Buffalo and IMO Jersey are 2 teams that are about to explode into full blown contender status. I got Petey in at 11.5X5 and Hronek at 8×8 assuming the latter works out here.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

@Blitz-Pixabout your buffalo comment

Buffalo, in my opinion, has the most exciting young core in hockey. Yes, they don't have the greatest track record, but there is few teams I would trade our entire roster straight across for, and Buffalo is one of them.

I've had Petey at 11.25-12 for awhile, and I think we will be thankful if Hronek comes in under 8. There's a reason why a young Detroit team traded him, and it's not his quality of play.

Buffalo reminds a little of Colorado some years back before they really broke through and became the powerhouse they are now. If they can put it all together and get to the next level they'll be a strong team for years to come. My Buffalo coment was in refernce to where they were prior to Eichel leaving...which was a bit of a mess. JMO however.

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 2

3 hours ago, BPA said:

Kinda wish Canucks would/could have signed EP to a $10M x 8yr contract instead of his current bridge contract.

Well Benning things. Now I'm anticipating Petey resigns for 13 million

Edited by iinatcc

47 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Dahlin and Hughes are very much comparables. Although Hughes doesn't have to sign a new deal soon, this gives an idea of his current value. An absolute steal at less than $8M.

At least when Hughes needs new contract our dead Cap from OEL drops from almost 5 million down to just over 2 million. Hopefully even with inflation thats 3 million we can afford to re-sign him!

DEAD CAP

BUYOUT HISTORY (1)             2023-24 2024-25 2025-26 2026-27 2027-28 2028-29
Ekman-Larsson, Oliver             $146,667 $2,346,667 $4,766,667 $4,766,667 $2,126,667 $2,126,667
  • Cheers 1

I'm Canucks fan so I admit I'm probably a little biased but...I don't think Dahlin is as good as everybody else does.

He's a very good player and a legimate top pairing dman but feel he gets accolades based on the fact he was drafted first overall. 

I admit he has size and finally put togther great breakout season but I still don't get people's fascination with him.

I suppose I should watch more of his games, maybe I'm missing something.  

Who would you rather have on your team? Dahlin or Hughes? 

Rasmus Dahlin                       Quinn Hughes

Games Played: 355                Games Played: 283  

Career Points: 233                 Carrer Points:  241 

PPG:  .65                                 PPG: .85 

Plus/ Minus - 66                     Plus/ Minus - 9

Playoff Games/Points  0        Playoff Games 17 / Points 16

They both came in at the same time 2018/19, same age (23) and both playing on rebuilding teams.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I'm Canucks fan so I admit I'm probably a little biased but...I don't think Dahlin is as good as everybody else does.

He's a very good player and a legimate top pairing dman but feel he gets accolades based on the fact he was drafted first overall. 

I admit he has size and finally put togther great breakout season but I still don't get people's fascination with him.

They both came in at the same time 2018/19, same age (23) and both playing on rebuilding teams.

Why would you compare defensemen based solely on offensive stats lol? If you put it that way, Hughes is miles better than Hedman compared when they were the same age. But I'd take Hedman 10 out of 10 times. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Dahlin is 23 this year hughes is 24 this year so no not the same age. Dahlin have more points than hughes does at the same age if you want to compare stats only. Sure dahlin have 1 extra year in the nhl but not sure if hughes would be nhl ready anyways in his draft year. 

cap hit aside I would take dahlin over hughes 99 out of 100 times. Hughes is great and will prolly end up the greatest Canucks defenceman ever, but sry he will never be in a legitimate conversation for a Norris unless he pulls a karlsson and dominate the other defenceman in offence or step up his defence another couple notch to match the makar fox heiskanen dahlin. I look at dahlin as a guy capable of adjusting to compliment his partner and continue to excel vs hughes we are always looking for the guy to compliment him so yes I would take Dahlin over Hughes any day of the week.

also Hughes was playing on a team on paper should be close to a playoff spot. Dahlin was straight up playing for a team dsyfunctional with the eichel situation and winning the lottery every year up until last season. Being bad and being a rebuilding team is 2 different thing. Canucks were no where close to being a rebuilding team with all the vets they have on the team

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

Dahlin is 23 this year hughes is 24 this year so no not the same age. Dahlin have more points than hughes does at the same age if you want to compare stats only. Sure dahlin have 1 extra year in the nhl but not sure if hughes would be nhl ready anyways in his draft year. 

cap hit aside I would take dahlin over hughes 99 out of 100 times. Hughes is great and will prolly end up the greatest Canucks defenceman ever, but sry he will never be in a legitimate conversation for a Norris unless he pulls a karlsson and dominate the other defenceman in offence or step up his defence another couple notch to match the makar fox heiskanen dahlin. I look at dahlin as a guy capable of adjusting to compliment his partner and continue to excel vs hughes we are always looking for the guy to compliment him so yes I would take Dahlin over Hughes any day of the week.

also Hughes was playing on a team on paper should be close to a playoff spot. Dahlin was straight up playing for a team dsyfunctional with the eichel situation and winning the lottery every year up until last season. Being bad and being a rebuilding team is 2 different thing. Canucks were no where close to being a rebuilding team with all the vets they have on the team

Dahlin and Hughes were in the same draft, so they are close in age. Hughes was also part of a dysfunctional team. Doesn't matter how good they were supposed to be on paper, or if they were rebuilding or not.

Yeah, we are looking for someone to compliment Hughes, yet even with a revolving door of partners, he still excelled last year. He showed a lot of improvement in his game last season. You are seriously underrating Hughes for no fucking reason, and it is pathetic. He is one of the best defenseman in the league. It is a fact!

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Why would you compare defensemen based solely on offensive stats lol? If you put it that way, Hughes is miles better than Hedman compared when they were the same age. But I'd take Hedman 10 out of 10 times. 

Good point... Although you have the benefit of knowing what Headman became and how valueble he was in winning 2 Stanley Cups.

At age 23 Headmans game, minutes, points and so on weren't comparable IMO. He was able to clear the front of the net, make big hits due to his size. 

It's something Hughes and many others will never be able to due as effective...BUT If either of the 2 players I mentioned went on to play as many games 

and say win 3 Stanley cups would you still feel the same?  

Edited by Blitz-Pix

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2023 at 3:06 AM, wai_lai416 said:

Tell us again how Dahlin is so much better than Hughes?

Hughes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dahlin

On 10/10/2023 at 3:06 AM, wai_lai416 said:

Hughes is on pace for 131 points.  He is a +13 while playing almost 24 minutes a night.  Not only is he currently better than Dahlin, but he is also literally one of the best players in the entire NHL...

The Norris is a two horse race this year between Hughes and Makar...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, NucksRuleYou said:

Tell us again how Dahlin is so much better than Hughes?

Hughes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dahlin

Dahlin is doing everything QH was doing at the same age and is keeping up with hughes in points this season prior to the 5 point game with 10x the hits 3x the blocks? obviously at the current contract Hughes is way better than Dahlin. but skill set wise Dahlin is better. also he doesn't have a EP or Miller to pad his offensive stats.. their top 6 is literally just tage thompson and a bunch of has been.. their top 6 is greenway thompson biro skinner middlestadts peterka.. outside of thompson.. and maybe skinner.. the rest don't even belong in the top 6 in most teams in the league. 

dahlin at 22>hughes at 22

dahlin at 23 = Hughes at 23

dahlin when reach 24 ??? Hughes at 24

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Hughes is on pace for 131 points.  He is a +13 while playing almost 24 minutes a night.  Not only is he currently better than Dahlin, but he is also literally one of the best players in the entire NHL...

The Norris is a two horse race this year between Hughes and Makar...

while hughes is amazing and is the early favorite for the norris right now.. and the canucks are playing really well in all aspect of the game.. but let's not pretend their schedule plays a big part of it.. the only team we played that haven't been atrocious in their first 10 games are florida tampa philly and new york.. tampa is missing their 10million goalie florida is missing half their defence and we are 1-2-1 against them. i didn't include the oilers since every team is beating up on them except calgary and i specifically said teams that are not terrible in their first 10 games. i love what they are doing right now but i'm still waiting to see how they fare against tougher test starting tonight against dallas.  

and yes age 24 hughes right now is better than age 23 dahlin.. but age 23 dahlin is as good as age 23 hughes and a far less talented offence group and a team with no goalie

Edited by wai_lai416

12 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Dahlin is doing everything QH was doing at the same age and is keeping up with hughes in points this season prior to the 5 point game with 10x the hits 3x the blocks? obviously at the current contract Hughes is way better than Dahlin. but skill set wise Dahlin is better. also he doesn't have a EP or Miller to pad his offensive stats.. their top 6 is literally just tage thompson and a bunch of has been.. their top 6 is greenway thompson biro skinner middlestadts peterka.. outside of thompson.. and maybe skinner.. the rest don't even belong in the top 6 in most teams in the league. 

dahlin at 22>hughes at 22

dahlin at 23 = Hughes at 23

dahlin when reach 24 ??? Hughes at 24

while hughes is amazing and is the early favorite for the norris right now.. and the canucks are playing really well in all aspect of the game.. but let's not pretend their schedule plays a big part of it.. the only team we played that haven't been atrocious in their first 10 games are florida tampa philly and new york.. tampa is missing their 10million goalie florida is missing half their defence and we are 1-2-1 against them. i didn't include the oilers since every team is beating up on them except calgary and i specifically said teams that are not terrible in their first 10 games. i love what they are doing right now but i'm still waiting to see how they fare against tougher test starting tonight against dallas.  

and yes age 24 hughes right now is better than age 23 dahlin.. but age 23 dahlin is as good as age 23 hughes and a far less talented offence group and a team with no goalie

Dahlin and Hughes were both drafted in 2018.  Hughes is a late birthday.  They are only 6 months apart.  Also, Dahlin only had 23 points at age 20.  Hughes had 53 points at the same age.  That's a huge difference.  Hughes PPG is much higher than Dahlin.  But the biggest difference to me is that Hughes is also doing well defensively, not just offensively.  He finally has a partner that he can trust.  Remember, Makar wasn't Makar until Toews arrived.  Same with Hughes.  He has taken another level with Hronek.

Dahlin is a great player and you know how I like my Swedish players, I'm actually more biased than most in regard to Swedish players.  But in this case, Quinn Hughes right now is the best defenceman in the NHL.  He's on pace for 131 points.  Only Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey scored more points than that.

I'm sure Hughes won't be on pace for 131 points for the entire year, but if he continues to play with Hronek I can easily see him getting 100 points this year.  I don't think Dahlin has it in him to even get 80...

Edited by Elias Pettersson