(Signing) Jets re-sign Mark Scheifele and Connor Hellebuyck

32 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t know why but I find it baffling that Miller and Scheifele were taken in the same draft.

I always think of Scheifele as younger but I guess he’s been around a long time now.

I always think of Miller as older than he is.  Just because he is the oldest of our forwards.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Rekker said:

And I ask myself, would I trade JT for Scheifele? Nope, not a chance. Hope this quites some of the boohoo JT Miller contract whiners. Love having JT on this team. 

I don't think there's many that feel his contract is poor value (compared to similar players) for what he is. The issue was/is  whether the Canucks should have been the ones to sign it, given his age vs the core's, the roster construction etc.

They've fully leaned in to "win now" with him though, and we'll never know if we would have been better off in the long run with more assets and cap space instead. But if anything, his contract is slightly below market value.

Many Jets fans will likely be forever left wondering the same thing.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Rekker said:

And I ask myself, would I trade JT for Scheifele? Nope, not a chance. Hope this quites some of the boohoo JT Miller contract whiners. Love having JT on this team. 

I would trade them one-for-one if this year is a mess and we are looking to shake things up. No reason to otherwise though.

56 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The new Flames. They're good but there's no long term plan there. Guess they'll fall into the wildcard spot fight for the next 5 years then dip

The Jets actually have a good amount of very good prospects coming though. So they have a window that can be stretched while retaining their core players. A little chuckle to see all these " what no rebuild ? " posts. The Jets have one of the best goaltenders in the game, very good forwards and defense. There is no reason to believe they can't be contenders and for years to come. Half a dozen years from now there will be core pieces moving along and youngsters established and contributing.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Pears said:

Definitely came outta left field here. 

Agreed.

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

Wow. I thought this was a joke

I was out hiking today. No cell phone no nothing out in the middle of nowhere. Enjoying the weather came back opened up my phone and seen this and I still thought it was some sort of joke

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Wow they got them both signed. Don't think many saw that coming.

I thought for sure both were getting traded this season at some point.

1 hour ago, EB43 said:

IMG_3749.gif

What?

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Woof that’s what it took to get them to stay I guess.

Figured that Winnipeg would lean into the skid and rebuild like they should. Guess not.

What exactly do you expect these two to sign for? We are talking about top players at their respected positions.

1 hour ago, Trebreh said:

Oof contract but happy for the jets that they kept their core players.

Again what are you talking about? With the cap going up these are actually very good deals. Hell without a cap increase you would be lucky to get MS at that price.

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Oh man... rebuild? Never heard of her!

Well they do have a lot of talent on their team so I'm not sure it makes sense from a management point of view to say hey We are a playoff team but let's just rip it all apart. While I can understand the sentiment, it's not a video game.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

The new Flames. They're good but there's no long term plan there. Guess they'll fall into the wildcard spot fight for the next 5 years then dip

Yeah they actually have very good prospects so not even close to Calgary.

1 hour ago, gwarrior said:

I thought 1, if not both would be moving on for sure.

Yeah absolutely! I was totally shocked by this news. Happy for the peg.

Edited by Ryan Strome

28 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I thought Scheifle said a bunch of stuff suggesting he wanted to leave after his contract was over with the Jets?

Yeah that's what I thought too. I already don't trust the media as it relates to news and now I'm beginning to not trust them as it relates to sports.

54 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

is it a sign n trade? 

for one of them

Very doubtful. Cap space is few and far between Right now. I was just reading Calgary will be starting with 11 forwards and seven defensemen most likely because of cap restrictions. Imagine that an aging team that can't make the playoffs having to have a shortened roster to be cap compliant.🤣