'So sick of losing': Canucks’ Hughes prepared to step up and push teammates

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/so-sick-of-losing-canucks-hughes-prepared-to-step-up-and-push-teammates/

VANCOUVER — It wasn’t the concept of leadership that spurred Quinn Hughes to assert himself within the Vancouver Canucks. It was the other L-word: losing.

"It wasn't even that I had to push myself,” Hughes explained Sunday of his evolution last season.

“I'm just so sick of losing that if this is what we have to do or this is what I have to do. . . that's easy compared to losing and the toll of the season.

Looking at the schedule (last season) and we have, like, 30 games left but we're out of the playoffs, that's really hard.

I would say anything is easier than having that toll on you. So if I need to speak up or do whatever, that's easy.”

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/so-sick-of-losing-canucks-hughes-prepared-to-step-up-and-push-teammates/

VANCOUVER — It wasn’t the concept of leadership that spurred Quinn Hughes to assert himself within the Vancouver Canucks. It was the other L-word: losing.

"It wasn't even that I had to push myself,” Hughes explained Sunday of his evolution last season.

“I'm just so sick of losing that if this is what we have to do or this is what I have to do. . . that's easy compared to losing and the toll of the season.

Looking at the schedule (last season) and we have, like, 30 games left but we're out of the playoffs, that's really hard.

I would say anything is easier than having that toll on you. So if I need to speak up or do whatever, that's easy.”

Injured: Hughes (sick - 39 weeks)

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

30 games left?  They were done with 75 games left last year.

24 minutes ago, Pears said:

Kinda struggling to remember here but did Horvat ever say anything similar to like what Hughes has said recently? The pure desire to make the playoffs and win and push his team to be better every day. 

If he did, I don't remember it. I recall most of what he said was all cliche. I would much rather have a captain who speaks his mind instead of spewing the same ol' shit.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

I hate to say it, because he seems like a genuinely good guy and a hard worker, but Horvat gave me Eeyore vibes. Always a bit downbeat and glum. Did I ever get the sense that he HATED losing? Not really. And that seemed to permeate through the team a bit. Hughes is gonna have the boys fired up this season!

Hard to get pumped up when this guy is leading you on the ice. No offense to Horvat, I think he was just the wrong choice for captain.

winnie the pooh love quotes GIF

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I hate to say it, because he seems like a genuinely good guy and a hard worker, but Horvat gave me Eeyore vibes. Always a bit downbeat and glum. Did I ever get the sense that he HATED losing? Not really. And that seemed to permeate through the team a bit. Hughes is gonna have the boys fired up this season!

Hard to get pumped up when this guy is leading you on the ice. No offense to Horvat, I think he was just the wrong choice for captain.

He’s gone so best to just let it go.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

He’s gone so best to just let it go.

No worries, I haven't thought about Horvat in months. Someone mentioned him earlier in the thread and I thought it was an interesting contrast between Hughes and Horvat. Maybe it's off-base to compare him to Eeyore, but that's the image that popped in to my head when I thought back on his tenure with the team and all the interviews he gave.

Edited by Strawbone
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

You know he seems like EP just wanting to win.

Hope his skills off ice can bring the team together.

I have a feeling they will listen.

Maybe Petey saying he wants to wait to see how the team performs is a secret strategy to motivate the team?

Think About It GIF by Identity

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Hughes is saying what we all need to here. And between him and Miller, the rest of the guys can either walk, or get dragged into the fight. And I Love that!!!!!

• Like 1

Hell yeah! That’s what I like to hear. Telling you that’s wildcard. Why I think BB will have bounce back season because of the leadership change and no drama. Like Miller I think this team will settle in and put more Ws under Hughes compared to Horvat. 

I tend to think far far ahead but can imagine Hughes Vs. Hughes finals. 

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

No worries, I haven't thought about Horvat in months. Someone mentioned him earlier in the thread and I thought it was an interesting contrast between Hughes and Horvat. Maybe it's off-base to compare him to Eeyore, but that's the image that popped in to my head when I thought back on his tenure with the team and all the interviews he gave.

To me, it felt like Horvat became jaded from all the years he spent on a losing team, which I honestly can't entirely fault him for. Aside from two playoff runs, losing is pretty much all he experienced as a Canuck. I don't think any of us can say with 100% certainty that he stopped believing things could turn around, but there were moments in interviews where you could sense his optimism fade a bit.

In that respect, I think it's good that Hughes is taking over the primary leadership role. He's younger, less worn down by years of constant losing, and from my view, more self-assured and just a bit cockier (in a good way). He refuses to accept that things have to be the way they've been for the last several seasons, which is the attitude the team needs right now.

16 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Thanks for noticing me.