Vancouver Sports media thread

Blue

I checked for an existing thread. If there is , just merge it.

Anyway in the podcast world, Andrew Wadden has been replaced by Matt Sekeres on the Rink Wide post game show with Jeff Paterson. I know big Matt has his share of critics. But he's more of a known quantity than Wadden was and Sekeres and Paterson should make a decent show. I like the change but Andrew was fine too. 

https://www.rinkwidevancouver.com/

Least faves: Kuzma, Sekeres, Price, IMac, and JPat.

*Drama-filled lens of the team.

Faves: Ricc, Sat, Drance, Jamie, and Faber.

*Insightful, analytical, and constructive.

Edit: Donnie & Dhali = pure laughter and joy. Legends. 

Edited by Jester13

Its always interesting how everyone's choices in this kind of poll are so different and mixed up. Each to their own.

Favorites:

Donnie and Dhali - great mix of humour and inter-personal interaction, along with sports, and a good array of guests. If I want just the stats maam, I'll go to another site to look them up.

Halford and Brough - Apprentices of Donny Taylor's method of mixing entertainment up in a sports commentary show, which I enjoy.  I seem to share Brough's opinions most of the time.  He embodies the long suffering Canucks fan.

Upper tier

IMac - Veteran Vancouver Canucks reporter, a little snide, a little cynical, just like me. But most times gets everything right without overtly shit disturbing

Drance - If you wade through his annoying exaggerations and his gawd awful personal laugh track, he actually is usually pretty spot on

Lower tier

SN 650 afternoon show

Bik Nizzar, Riccio, and Sat are trying too hard to be entertaining, unlike those in the top tier where it comes naturally, and mostly involves laughing at themselves non stop, Sat is the best of the bunch but gawd love him, he's trying, but he's a terrible communicator. Hard to listen to for more than 10 minutes. Run on sentences, doesn't take a breath.

Paterson - Used to be more listenable, but has gotten more and more like Sekeres, who coincidentally is the replacement for Wadden on Rinkwide, which was a tolerable post game wrap up show with Wadden to balance out Paterson's whining. But with two pompous whiners on one show? No thanks.

Sekeres - Gotten worse through the years with conspiracy theories and throwing mud.  Don't mind Price so much but he's stained his resume working with such a twit.

Special shoutout to Jason Botchford.  One of my faves at the time who bravely bucked the trend, ahead of his time both in his revolutionizing sports media to involve fans, and his generosity to younger entries  into the business like Halford and Brough, but mostly as a fan for his premonitions about the team needing a rebuild when everyone else, including many on CDC were pissing on him for being "negative" while chanting the "in Benning we trust" mantra.  His unheeded "We Need An Army!!!" will forever be his legacy.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Will that allow Paterson to get a media pass to attend press cons at the arena?  :hurhur:

they should take away everybody's other than imac's, basically. 

I'm so sick of listening to these clowns try to create a narrative in real time. press conferences and interviews with the most absurd leading questions, constantly attempting to put words in the mouths of their subjects. 

hacks. 

20 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Special shoutout to Jason Botchford.  One of my faves at the time who bravely bucked the trend, ahead of his time both in his revolutionizing sports media to involve fans, and his generosity to younger entries  into the business like Halford and Brough, but mostly as a fan for his premonitions about the team needing a rebuild when everyone else, including many on CDC were pissing on him for being "negative" while chanting the "in Benning we trust" mantra.  His unheeded "We Need An Army!!!" will forever be his legacy.

the things you present here as positives are the things that in my opinion ruined hockey journalism in this market irreparably. 

there's a reason journalists go to journalism school. 

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Paterson - Used to be more listenable, but has gotten more and more like Sekeres, who coincidentally is the replacement for Wadden on Rinkwide, which was a tolerable post game wrap up show with Wadden to balance out Paterson's whining. But with two pompous whiners on one show? No thanks.

Jeff Paterson doesn't seem to realize that sometimes the audience just wants some cope. I hope you are reading this Jeff.

J-Pat was good on the radio. His "Playoff Game night" shows after each playoff game were really good. Hopefully he brings back playoff game night in the future. 

I have to give Sekeres some credit for not trying to reinvent himself. He's an asshole. Everyone knows it. And he just goes with it. 

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Blue said:

Jeff Paterson doesn't seem to realize that sometimes the audience just wants some cope. I hope you are reading this Jeff.

J-Pat was good on the radio. His "Playoff Game night" shows after each playoff game were really good. Hopefully he brings back playoff game night in the future. 

I have to give Sekeres some credit for not trying to reinvent himself. He's an asshole. Everyone knows it. And he just goes with it. 

a face for radio and a voice for the silent era. 

I dont know if this is the right place to say this but when the Game is available in PUNJAB I choose that one because at least the guys are excited when VANCOUVER makes plays, anounces which defense are on the ice, who has the puck and who hit who.

I only understand the names but at least they are saying the right names and not talking about the Mcdavids and Drywalls on the ice like Shorthouse

to be honest, I prefer the National broadcast even when its an alberta commentator. 

53 minutes ago, tas said:

the things you present here as positives are the things that in my opinion ruined hockey journalism in this market irreparably. 

there's a reason journalists go to journalism school. 

I liked Botchford on his own / on radio but when he was pandering to the “provies” base it got ridiculous.  I remember one of the last ones I read had a part where he was making fun of Willie Desjardin’s kids or wife or something.  Up until then it was pretty entertaining stuff. That’s where it jumped the shark for me.  Precursors to guys filming Benning at the grocery store.

That nonsense and giving z-list celebrity status to the 1% worst of the fanbase via publishing their obnoxious tweets.  We still haven’t recovered from that.  Those guys still spend 24/7 spewing cynical garbage about a team they can’t possibly enjoy following.

To give Botchford a thumbs up, he was on “team playoffs” before he passed - in the middle of the Benning tenure.  So props to him for that.  I do think a lot of what I didn’t like about his style stemmed from his following rather than he himself.

I can actually say pretty much the same thing about Drance.  On his own, I actually like a lot to what he has to say.  It’s insightful and thoughtful and well laid out.  It just gets a bit much parsing through the constant callbacks to, basically, “they should have done a rebuild.” 

Anyways, on topic and in order:

Top Tier! Regularly Read and enjoy:  

imac, Harman Dayal

2nd Tier: Will regularly consume media and enjoy it, (but sometimes get fed up and cancel my athletic sub) tier:

Drance, Donny and Dhali, Kuzma

3rd Tier: Like their social media presence or when I occasionally listen, read or see them on intermission:

Sat, Riccio, Faber, Roget from CA is growing on me

4th Tier:  Palatable in the right situations 

JPat, Quadrelli, PJ

5th tier: Don’t watch or read

Halford, Sekeres, Wagner, Grady, Wyatt(liked him until recently.. will probably give him another go with CA)

6th tier: can’t stand em

Price, Brough, Big Ry

7th tier: the worst, just for context

JD Burke and that oaf Macdonald

Edited by The Duke
  • Cheers 1

I ran into this guys little show on Youtube when the stupid Sportsnet mobile player decides not to work. He's alright. Pretty level headed analysis. He does some post games and video takes on news and stuff. Parkers Pucks its called. He is small enough that the live chat actually works. You can have little convos with other fans and he will almost always see your chat. 

15 hours ago, The Duke said:

I liked Botchford on his own / on radio but when he was pandering to the “provies” base it got ridiculous.  I remember one of the last ones I read had a part where he was making fun of Willie Desjardin’s kids or wife or something.  Up until then it was pretty entertaining stuff. That’s where it jumped the shark for me.  Precursors to guys filming Benning at the grocery store.

That nonsense and giving z-list celebrity status to the 1% worst of the fanbase via publishing their obnoxious tweets.  We still haven’t recovered from that.  Those guys still spend 24/7 spewing cynical garbage about a team they can’t possibly enjoy following.

To give Botchford a thumbs up, he was on “team playoffs” before he passed - in the middle of the Benning tenure.  So props to him for that.  I do think a lot of what I didn’t like about his style stemmed from his following rather than he himself.

I can actually say pretty much the same thing about Drance.  On his own, I actually like a lot to what he has to say.  It’s insightful and thoughtful and well laid out.  It just gets a bit much parsing through the constant callbacks to, basically, “they should have done a rebuild.” 

Anyways, on topic and in order:

Top Tier! Regularly Read and enjoy:  

imac, Harman Dayal

2nd Tier: Will regularly consume media and enjoy it, (but sometimes get fed up and cancel my athletic sub) tier:

Drance, Donny and Dhali, Kuzma

3rd Tier: Like their social media presence or when I occasionally listen, read or see them on intermission:

Sat, Riccio, Faber, Roget from CA is growing on me

4th Tier:  Palatable in the right situations 

JPat, Quadrelli, PJ

5th tier: Don’t watch or read

Halford, Sekeres, Wagner, Grady, Wyatt(liked him until recently.. will probably give him another go with CA)

6th tier: can’t stand em

Price, Brough, Big Ry

7th tier: the worst, just for context

JD Burke and that oaf Macdonald

On Botchford, each to their own.

I thought he was a breath of fresh air.  And also entertaining as hell.  An actual journalist that wasn't afraid of ownership. And respected the fans opinions didn't just preach from on high.   There is a big difference in stirring up shit for the sake of it and speaking the truth is what is causing the shit to fly.  That difference was what many refused to get.  Botch was pulling his hair out begging for Canucks management to listen to Torts, Linden, and stop trading away, or giving away, your draft picks and signing long term lucrative deals to entice FAs to travel up to the northwest. He literally shouted "We Need An Army!"

He has many sports writers today that sing his praises for helping them in their ;journey. The even created The Botchford Project to honour up and coming sports writers based on the many stories of him giving advice and help to young sports journalists. 

I noticed Harman Dayal is in your top tier, here's what he said about Botch:

https://theathletic.com/1075074/2019/07/22/harman-dayal-its-time-to-go-all-in-on-quality-canucks-coverage/

"Another reason I’ve loved working at The Athletic is because of the people I’ve gotten to call colleagues — individuals I owe so much to. This, of course, begins with Jason Botchford — a mentor and friend I’ll never forget. I started the year freelancing with a small following, and it was because of Botch’s support that I was able to gain a voice in the media space."

I could quote a ton more from sports writers today that would give a lot of cred to Botchford for their careers.  Drance also, who i see is in your second tier.  In fact everyone in your top two tiers has worked with Botchford and has only good to say about him.

He also revolutionized how sports writers use Twitter. Engaging with fans.  I like how the biggest complaint by some is how sports journalists sit on a cloud just spewing their biased editorials from above. When a writer actually listens to and takes into account how fans feel, he is dissed for that too.  Can't win.   There's a reason a lot of his writing was negative against Canucks management.....we were a losing team, who were on a losing path who kept shooting ourselves in the foot. And no one could cut through the crap like Botch and lay out all the ugly truth. Some just couldn't handle the truth.  And that's fine. Each to their own. Its actually funny how divergent we all are in our personal choices.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Sekeres...  A face for radio and a voice for silent films.

These overly personal attacks are not necessary. Most of these personalities lurk on the forums to get talking points and the mood of the fanbase. 

Be better

37 minutes ago, kilgore said:

On Botchford, each to their own.

I thought he was a breath of fresh air.  And also entertaining as hell.  An actual journalist that wasn't afraid of ownership. And respected the fans opinions didn't just preach from on high.   There is a big difference in stirring up shit for the sake of it and speaking the truth is what is causing the shit to fly.  That difference was what many refused to get.  Botch was pulling his hair out begging for Canucks management to listen to Torts, Linden, and stop trading away, or giving away, your draft picks and signing long term lucrative deals to entice FAs to travel up to the northwest. He literally shouted "We Need An Army!"

He has many sports writers today that sing his praises for helping them in their ;journey. The even created The Botchford Project to honour up and coming sports writers based on the many stories of him giving advice and help to young sports journalists. 

I noticed Harman Dayal is in your top tier, here's what he said about Botch:

https://theathletic.com/1075074/2019/07/22/harman-dayal-its-time-to-go-all-in-on-quality-canucks-coverage/

"Another reason I’ve loved working at The Athletic is because of the people I’ve gotten to call colleagues — individuals I owe so much to. This, of course, begins with Jason Botchford — a mentor and friend I’ll never forget. I started the year freelancing with a small following, and it was because of Botch’s support that I was able to gain a voice in the media space."

I could quote a ton more from sports writers today that would give a lot of cred to Botchford for their careers.  Drance also, who i see is in your second tier.  In fact everyone in your top two tiers has worked with Botchford and has only good to say about him.

He also revolutionized how sports writers use Twitter. Engaging with fans.  I like how the biggest complaint by some is how sports journalists sit on a cloud just spewing their biased editorials from above. When a writer actually listens to and takes into account how fans feel, he is dissed for that too.  Can't win.   There's a reason a lot of his writing was negative against Canucks management.....we were a losing team, who were on a losing path who kept shooting ourselves in the foot. And no one could cut through the crap like Botch and lay out all the ugly truth. Some just couldn't handle the truth.  And that's fine. Each to their own. Its actually funny how divergent we all are in our personal choices.

botchford and all his little nuthuggers that he created have never learned that the media aren't supposed to be part of the story, influencing the narrative. 

the guy thought he was hunter thompson doing gonzo, but hunter thompson he was not. 

21 minutes ago, Blue said:

These overly personal attacks are not necessary. Most of these personalities lurk on the forums to get talking points and the mood of the fanbase. 

Be better

Is that you, Sekeres? 

Honestly, I'm sure the personalities can handle the forum. Also, they should come up with their own material. Lastly, the ones who stir up shit for clicks and call it "just doing their job" can eff right off anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Blue said:

Be better

it's because they lurk here that I do my best to make sure that they know I think they're roundly terrible at what they do. 

I'll refrain from making personal attacks towards other members here and generally towards canucks personnel. vancouver media will only receive that grace from me when they start performing their jobs as legitimate journalists in a credible way. 

I wouldn't suggest holding your breath. 

Edited by tas
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Blue said:

Be better

Okay fine I'd probably make out with Sekeres after a couple drinks.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 2