What’s for dinner/cooking?

Barnstorm

17 hours ago, Barnstorm said:

Pumpkins cured and ready for winter storage. I make the occasional pumpkin pie and my dog loves pumpkin in his dinner. It’s really healthy for dogs. 

IMG_8634.thumb.jpeg.721abe59cf71feb515ccf7be5b9cfc98.jpeg

My dog goes mental for pumpkin too. I don't really ever eat it, but when it time to carve pumpkins for Halloween, she won't leave me alone.

38 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

My dog goes mental for pumpkin too. I don't really ever eat it, but when it time to carve pumpkins for Halloween, she won't leave me alone.

Its fibre is good for a dog’s digestive tract. Good nutritional value too.

There are many varieties and generally the ones sold during Halloween and intended for carving are not particularly good for eating. I think that’s why so few people actually eat pumpkin. 
The variety I grew are called Sugar Baby , don’t get large at all and are specific for eating. Quite sweet with a deep orange flesh. 
Cored and cut into large (2-3”) cubes then roasted skins on for the dog. 
Skins off and roasted with oil, a sprinkle of brown sugar and ground cloves or fennel seeds for the people. Good not to over cook it. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

I'm not much for squash really. But I'm open minded, and will try new things. Perhaps I'll try pumpkin again.

Buy yourself a couple of Butternut Squash. Small ones … size of cantaloupe or so but different shape. Wash , cut in half and core the seeds and pulp. Flesh side up in roasting dish, oil them , brown sugar and few dots of butter, salt, pepper and roast covered at 350 for about 3/4 hour and then 15 min uncovered to get a little crusting, until just fork tender. A real nice change , great taste and colour. Not super expensive either.

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Buy yourself a couple of Butternut Squash. Small ones … size of cantaloupe or so but different shape. Wash , cut in half and core the seeds and pulp. Flesh side up in roasting dish, oil them , brown sugar and few dots of butter, salt, pepper and roast covered at 350 for about 3/4 hour and then 15 min uncovered to get a little crusting, until just fork tender. A real nice change , great taste and colour. Not super expensive either.

Hmm. I'm intrigued. Think I've found something I want to try. 

They look like this. I grew two varieties and am leaving them on the vine as long as possible as that’s where they store best. IMG_8646.thumb.jpeg.df77161dae8b443fcf1dc12ad6751908.jpeg

IMG_8645.thumb.jpeg.468586722ee9e8003d65573dbdfe40cc.jpeg

Seeds and pulp only in one end. Other end is solid flesh. One squash generally good for 2-3 servings. It’s fine reheated the next day or even mashed is really good. 

ETA while I roast  these with skins on I don’t eat the skin. It’s like eating a melon once it’s cooked… scooping the flesh out. Alternatively you can peel and dice to roast little cubes with lots of oil and spices. Mmmmmm.

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Like 3

Yesterdays project was pickled beets. Wasn’t going to do any but previous posters (dlc) got me thinking. 

Brine is flavoured with apple cider vinegar, hint of ginger, whole cloves and bit of sugar. Thin ribbons of sweet onion in each jar. 9 pints and a quart of brine left over. Vinegar content enables water bath canning: 30 minutes at full boil.IMG_8642.thumb.jpeg.86b4d7e700f5e7951c6bc81920a2da47.jpeg

• Like 4

Spicy pizza/pasta sauce.

Homegrown. I get my boxes (flats) from Super Store’s produce dept. They stack well and work so well for harvest, storage and ripening.

Tomatoes run through food mill to remove skins and seeds. 

IMG_8657.thumb.jpeg.25bd94caf4d8f19af4401f5a09a4c611.jpeg

Tomatoe purée drops into pail and seeds/skins pass into tray.

Tomato purée is put in cheesecloth bags to allow fluid to drain for 6 hours

and thicken  rather than simmering on stove for 12 hours. Also difficult to simmer in such large amounts.

IMG_8660.thumb.jpeg.f0b44104da09cd7a42c051a15b785b29.jpeg

IMG_8662.thumb.jpeg.6b76414b2770f94a4feceb7e19489298.jpeg

Onions , garlic and Messila peppers prepped and finely blended with a little Balsamic vinegar (acidity and flavour). Added to tomato and brought to light boil and then low simmer.

IMG_8213.thumb.jpeg.446990bbfe144295bda0f1f365c73c97.jpeg

IMG_8211.thumb.jpeg.2e101faa7955621ae4a095bf6b6fd87f.jpeg

Simmer for 6-8 hours. Kosher salt , fresh thyme, oregano, basil, onion powder, fine ground black pepper, bit of white sugar, 1/2 tsp powdered habanero, garlic powder all added towards end of cook. Spices added late so flavour is not lost through the cook. 

IMG_8671.thumb.jpeg.7e195429030134a03458c00559789ede.jpeg

Adjust final ph to 3.7 with balsamic vinegar, bring to light boil and process into sterile jars and boil bath , pints 30 minutes, quarts 40 minutes. 

IMG_8674.thumb.jpeg.694ed85ceec0cd198b70929dd1962505.jpeg

3 qts, 13 pints tomato paste and 4 pints of sweet pickled jalapeños. 

Edited by Barnstorm
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I’m going to give a shout out to my good buddy @Bleed Blue and Greenwho has a great skill set in the kitchen. Sorry buddy but CFF needs to see your culinary works of art!😋

Wild rice is just white rice, black rice, black eye peas in the rice cooker, you could add coconut milk too. Salmon with ginger, green onions, olive oil and some soy sauce 

Miso you need dashi for broth, add daikon, tofu, seaweed kombu, green onions and miso paste at the end.

Looking forward to the season ahead and the hockey pool next week broski! Our religion🙏

CF435E9B-8663-4A7E-8C8F-8948CDE4ED90.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Hmm. I have an idea, and need an opinion if this is a good idea or not. I'm sure we all know about coconut shrimp/prawns. Really beside the point. But, what if I did a quick marinade of the shrimp, in coconut tequila, then breaded and fried them?