What’s for dinner/cooking?

Barnstorm

20 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Hmm. I have an idea, and need an opinion if this is a good idea or not. I'm sure we all know about coconut shrimp/prawns. Really beside the point. But, what if I did a quick marinade of the shrimp, in coconut tequila, then breaded and fried them?

Never know until you fry. Deep frying temps might diminish any hint of tequila?

I wonder if you could create a dipping sauce with some coconut tequila and really get the punch.

7 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Never know until you fry. Deep frying temps might diminish any hint of tequila?

I wonder if you could create a dipping sauce with some coconut tequila and really get the punch.

I wouldn't deep fry them, I would use the air fryer. But a sauce with coconut tequila. I gotta develop something here.

Just now, gwarrior said:

I wouldn't deep fry them, I would use the air fryer. But a sauce with coconut tequila. I gotta develop something here.

Everyone talks about air fryers . I need to get with the program and try one. I’ve never seen one let alone cook with one. All the rage these days. 

13 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Everyone talks about air fryers . I need to get with the program and try one. I’ve never seen one let alone cook with one. All the rage these days. 

My mom bought one a few months ago. I haven personally used it. But apparently it works really well. I'm more put food in my smoker, than finish it in the oven guy.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, gwarrior said:

My mom bought one a few months ago. I haven personally used it. But apparently it works really well. I'm more put food in my smoker, than finish it in the oven guy.

Oh man, that works for me. Like that smoked essence. 

I actually keep a bottle of liquid smoke in the cupboard and use it in stews , soups , burger patties, sauces ect. Powerful stuff, only takes a few drops to have the effect . It’s nice when you’re in a hurry or can’t use the smoker. 

IMG_8700.thumb.jpeg.61e466e0d3c3f0bcbe4579758aa3c303.jpeg

Almost empty. Glad I looked. 

9 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Oh man, that works for me. Like that smoked essence. 

I actually keep a bottle of liquid smoke in the cupboard and use it in stews , soups , burger patties, sauces ect. Powerful stuff, only takes a few drops to have the effect . It’s nice when you’re in a hurry or can’t use the smoker. 

IMG_8700.thumb.jpeg.61e466e0d3c3f0bcbe4579758aa3c303.jpeg

Almost empty. Glad I looked. 

Liquid smoke is no joke. Just a drop or 2 will get you there.

• Haha 1

Unless its pissing rain, I plan on smoking my Turkey for Thanksgiving. I've already got a battle plan. Come home from work, make my brine. Let it cool overnight. Do all my prep on sunday. Then just finish the bird in the oven, bake off the stuffing, and mash the potatoes. I'm a master of disaster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Unless it’s pissing rain, I plan on smoking my Turkey for Thanksgiving. I've already got a battle plan. Come home from work, make my brine. Let it cool overnight. Do all my prep on sunday. Then just finish the bird in the oven, bake off the stuffing, and mash the potatoes. I'm a master of disaster.

Does the turkey get a rub applied after the brine? Type? 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

I’ve always used a clean cooler for brining a turkey and gave it 24 hours in the icy brine. I imagine you might need to let that turkey rise to room temp just prior to smoking?

whoops. quoted myself.

Edited by Barnstorm

23 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

No rub. Just a brine in salt, brown sugar, pepper corns, bay leaves, poultry seasoning, coriander, orange zest. Simmer it. Then let it sit over night. Then clean the old cooler out really well. Then put the bird in for roughly 18 hours. 24 hours can be too much. Then smoke it for about 2 hours. Then finish it in the oven. Man, this has to he torture on my dog.

• Haha 1

Still hoping for a decent day, weather wise on monday. Dosen't look like it's going to be one. But if the wind is calm, I can smoke my turkey, seeing as I have a gazebo covering where I would need to be. Wind is the wild card right now.

Still hoping for a decent day, weather wise on monday. Dosen't look like it's going to be one. But if the wind is calm, I can smoke my turkey, seeing as I have a gazebo covering where I would need to be. Wind is the wild card right now.

• Cheers 1

Just realized I'm a COMPLETE idiot. I was worried about wind and rain for smoking my turkey. Then thought it through, the gazebo has curtains, just hold 1 panel down with a brick. Push come's to shove, I'll move the car out of the carport and smoke it there. Less comfortable, but I can get it done. Fuck I'm stupid.