What’s for dinner/cooking?

Barnstorm

^^ I really want to get into canning pickles, carrots, etc!

Great idea for a thread...I do the cooking in our house, so will definitely share some of my classics in here for those interested!

12 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

^^ I really want to get into canning pickles, carrots, etc!

Great idea for a thread...I do the cooking in our house, so will definitely share some of my classics in here for those interested!

I’ll gladly help you with any canning information I can offer. 

First tip:

Start collecting jars anywhere you can and treat them carefully. They have become expensive in the stores. Look for them at garage sales, Facebook buy and sell pages ect. Lids can often be found in dollar stores at half the usual price. I have jars I’ve been using annually for over 30 years. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Barnstorm said:

I’ll gladly help you with any canning information I can offer. 

First tip:

Start collecting jars anywhere you can and treat them carefully. They have become expensive in the stores. Look for them at garage sales, Facebook buy and sell pages ect. Lids can often be found in dollar stores at half the usual price. I have jars I’ve been using annually for over 30 years. 

Thanks, man!

We used mason jars as our glasses for our wedding 9 years ago and managed to hang on to probably about 20 of them! I will probably do smaller batches that last for the year and keep doing it every fall. I would love to even get into making homemade salsa (chips + guac + salsa is still my favourite snack!)

Always remember mom doing canning in the fall and seemed like such a process....will never forget the smell of the brine on the stove!

2 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Thanks, man!

We used mason jars as our glasses for our wedding 9 years ago and managed to hang on to probably about 20 of them! I will probably do smaller batches that last for the year and keep doing it every fall. I would love to even get into making homemade salsa (chips + guac + salsa is still my favourite snack!)

Always remember mom doing canning in the fall and seemed like such a process....will never forget the smell of the brine on the stove!

That’s a good start. I reiterate , handle them carefully, especially when washing. Never put extremely cold jars into hot liquid as they can crack. Especially if they have been handled roughly in the past. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Debating on wether to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving. I kinda want to, but itll depend on what the weather is doing. Last thing I want or need is to babysit the smoker in the pissing rain. I've got more than enough time to decide.

Have you ever deep fried a Turkey? Highly recommend it. 
Brine for 24 hours, remove and pat dry, into deep fryer at 375 iirc and it’s done in about 45 minutes depending on its weight. 
Doesn’t heat the house up or plug the oven for 6 hours and creates a really tasty bird. 

29 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Have you ever deep fried a Turkey? Highly recommend it. 
Brine for 24 hours, remove and pat dry, into deep fryer at 375 iirc and it’s done in about 45 minutes depending on its weight. 
Doesn’t heat the house up or plug the oven for 6 hours and creates a really tasty bird. 

Actually I haven't. I brine my turkey as it is, have for years, and wether I smoke it then finish it in the oven, or just bake it, it always turns out really well. I still remember my 1st turkey, my mom said to me "I'm so mad at you, your 1st turkey turned out better than anyone I've done. I can cut it with a spoon. You know your making all our turkeys from now on, right?".

25 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Actually I haven't. I brine my turkey as it is, have for years, and wether I smoke it then finish it in the oven, or just bake it, it always turns out really well. I still remember my 1st turkey, my mom said to me "I'm so mad at you, your 1st turkey turned out better than anyone I've done. I can cut it with a spoon. You know your making all our turkeys from now on, right?".

Sounds like you’re a natural in the kitchen. 
I never brined a bird until I started deep frying them about 3 years ago. I’ll have to try brining for an oven cook soon. Like smoking it’s not always convenient to deep fry despite the time savings. 

If I may ask, what type of smoker do you use and about how long to do a 12-15 lb bird?Poultry makes me a little nervous slow cooking at low temperatures especially a piece as large as a turkey( food safe and all).

Edited by Barnstorm

11 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Outside of Thanksgiving, tonight I'm making sausage and peppers with garlic bread.

Interesting, I’m doing Italian sausage on buns with garden super ripe jalapeños (red) cored, sliced into rings and sautéed in garlic butter. Heap the peppers on the buns, add onion and mmmmmm. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

Sounds like you’re a natural in the kitchen. 
I never brined a bird until I started deep frying them about 3 years ago. I’ll have to try brining for an oven cook soon. Like smoking it’s not always convenient to deep fry despite the time savings. 

If I may ask, what type of smoker do you use and about how long to do a 12-15 lb bird?Poultry makes me a little nervous slow cooking at low temperatures especially a piece as large as a turkey( food safe and all).

My smoker is "the big chief", easily found on amazon. Then I smoke it with pecan woodchips for 2 hours, then finish it in the oven. All I want is to get the smoke on it.