What’s for dinner/cooking?

Barnstorm

Save all your turkey bones and make stock…

Soup stock…

Buy whole chickens on sale and cut into parts yourself. Two wings, two legs/thighs and two breasts. Freeze the pieces in suitable portions for your family.
Put the backs in a bag and freeze for future stock. 
Add bones to the freezer bag as chicken is consumed. It’s fine to include beef and or pork bones. 
Continue to save/freeze bones until you have enough to fill stock pot. 

Cover bones with cold water, add few cubed onions, carrot, celery, garlic, pepper corns, bay leaves, small amount of tomatoes ect. I avoid using most green vegetables especially leafy ones or broccoli. Green beans are okay. In short, use up any vegetables you have. These can be frozen previously too. Don’t throw tired vegetables away… freeze for stock. Some squash or pumpkin in your stock will give it a wonderful rich flavour and colour, be creative. 

Bring to rolling boil and then simmer for 4-6 hours. Strain and cool, any fat can then be removed by spooning off the top. Reheat and adjust final taste with spices/herbs. 
Pressure can ( 45 minutes at 10 lbs for sea level -1000 feet) or freeze in containers. 

Money is saved by buying whole chickens, saving bones and vegetables and processing yourself. Better product with less additives/preservatives. 
The stock can be used as a base for soup, pork and beans, stew, chilli ect. 

I finished 10 qts. this morning. 

IMG_8731.thumb.jpeg.1d22a23d002137f02bfd14d3dfb10b8a.jpeg

•  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

Save all your turkey bones and make stock…

Soup stock…

Buy whole chickens on sale and cut into parts yourself. Two wings, two legs/thighs and two breasts. Freeze the pieces in suitable portions for your family.
Put the backs in a bag and freeze for future stock. 
Add bones to the freezer bag as chicken is consumed. It’s fine to include beef and or pork bones. 
Continue to save/freeze bones until you have enough to fill stock pot. 

Cover bones with cold water, add few cubed onions, carrot, celery, garlic, pepper corns, bay leaves, small amount of tomatoes ect. I avoid using most green vegetables especially leafy ones or broccoli. Green beans are okay. In short, use up any vegetables you have. These can be frozen previously too. Don’t throw tired vegetables away… freeze for stock. Some squash or pumpkin in your stock will give it a wonderful rich flavour and colour, be creative. 

Bring to rolling boil and then simmer for 4-6 hours. Strain and cool, any fat can then be removed by spooning off the top. Reheat and adjust final taste with spices/herbs. 
Pressure can ( 45 minutes at 10 lbs for sea level -1000 feet) or freeze in containers. 

Money is saved by buying whole chickens, saving bones and vegetables and processing yourself. Better product with less additives/preservatives. 
The stock can be used as a base for soup, pork and beans, stew, chilli ect. 

I finished 10 qts. this morning. 

IMG_8731.thumb.jpeg.1d22a23d002137f02bfd14d3dfb10b8a.jpeg

•  

I always save the carcass, and make soup, well my mom does. I'm not much of a soup guy, but smoked turkey soup is so goooooooooooooood 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

I’m thinking you probably put stuffing in after the smoke and before the oven?

Actually I don't stuff my turkey. Not really a fan of the texture. I just bake the stuffing. I love how crispy it gets. But that's me.

• Vintage 1

Completely forgot to take a picture of the bird after it was finished! This was my plate!

Turkey

Mashed red potatoes

Stuffing

Brussels Sprouts Gratin

Green Beans with Shallots

Roasted Carrots

image.jpeg

Just going through some pictures on the computer, this was back in August, but is STILL the best homemade pizza dough recipe I have ever tried! I have added the link if anybody ever wants to try it.

https://natashaskitchen.com/wprm_print/65083/

20230825_173019.jpg

43 minutes ago, diesel_3 said:

Soup weather today, so I wanted to take a crack at some beef barley soup!

20231011_123727.jpg20231011_124836.jpg

20231011_165518.jpg

Bowl on it's way to my harshest critic!

Actually just made that a couple weeks ago. It's long gone now. And with me not being much of a soup guy, it was still pretty good.

• Cheers 1