[Speculation] Trade Rumors: Barabanov's Name Begins to Fly

Trade Rumors: Barabanov's Name Begins to Fly

Per The Fourth Period's David Pagnotta, San Jose Sharks winger Alexander Barabanov could be on the move at the trade deadline.

Sharks fans have welcomed the Russian forward to San Jose as one of their own. He quickly has become a fan favorite. Barabanov just had his second child over the summer and wants to stay in the Bay Area.

"Of course, I want to stay here. My two babies were born here. I like the group here," Barabanov said during training camp. "But it's a business. We'll see what happens."

Barabanov is a UFA at season's end and has a cap hit of $2.5 million. His offensive production will make him an attractive trade acquisition. 

Pagnotta has said if an extension can't be met before the trade deadline, Barabanov will be a perfect addition to any contending team.  

"I liked his season last year. He and I talked about that there's another level for him to get to. I think this guy is just scratching the surface," Sharks head coach David Quinn said. "He's a really smart player. He’s competitive. He’s spent a lot of time improving his shot. He looks a little bit quicker right now."

Although the team is high on him, Barabanov's contract situation and the team's state could be the deciding factor in his future with San Jose. 

MAX MILLER

12 HOURS AGO

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/san-jose-sharks/news/trade-rumors-sharks-barabanovs-name-begins-to-fly

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:17 PM, N4ZZY said:

Not the kind of player the Canucks should be pursuing. He's 29. 

His age is not why we aren't/shouldn't be interested, for a team trying to force playoffs players around 29 are right in our wheelhouse. The fact he's another 5'10 or smaller winger is why we shouldn't be interested. We have so many of those we are trying to give em away for free.

• Cheers 1

On 10/20/2023 at 9:23 PM, wai_lai416 said:

Way better option than garland for teams needing a winger with 0 commitment for beyond. If shark retains great pickup for team looking for depth and he can actually do some scoring. Re-signing him prolly cost less than garland too

Barabanov stats (29 years old) 

2021-22  39 points in 70 games 

2022-23  47 points in 68 games 

This year: 0 points in 5 games 

Beauvillier stats (26 years old) 

2021-22  34 points in 75 games 

2022-23  40 points in 82 games 

This year:  0 points in 5 games 

Beauvillier is also expiring but does cost more, however retaining half on him is easy and not cumbersome. 

5 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Barabanov stats (29 years old) 

2021-22  39 points in 70 games 

2022-23  47 points in 68 games 

This year: 0 points in 5 games 

Beauvillier stats (26 years old) 

2021-22  34 points in 75 games 

2022-23  40 points in 82 games 

This year:  0 points in 5 games 

Beauvillier is also expiring but does cost more, however retaining half on him is easy and not cumbersome. 

barabanov is playing for a really bad team.. putting up number on that team is impressive.. sharks can retain 50% on him too so i don't see beauvillier or garland moved until barabanov is off the market

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

barabanov is playing for a really bad team.. putting up number on that team is impressive.. sharks can retain 50% on him too so i don't see beauvillier or garland moved until barabanov is off the market

It's easier to put up numbers on a bad team.  

Barabanov is on the top line as well as playing on PP1. 

5 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

It's easier to put up numbers on a bad team.  

Barabanov is on the top line as well as playing on PP1. 

lol if your team is lacking talent.. doesn't matter if you are playing top line or not u ain't putting up points.. playing on the top line means you are playing against other teams top shutdown line/defence.. we have garland on the top line too.. is he producing? they also tried a bunch of wingers on the sharks top line nieto eyssimont lindbolm svechnikov.. none of them were able to produce... i take 50% retain on barabanov on 1.25mil before 2mil on beauvillier or whatever's retained on garland.

Alexander Barabanov Out Indefinitely

October 25th, 2023 at 8:59pm CST • By Brian La Rose

It has been a rough start to the season for the Sharks as they are winless through the first six games.  They’ve also had a rough start on the injury front with Mikael Granlund injured in the season opener and Logan Couture yet to suit up. 

Now, they’re down another key forward as head coach David Quinn told San Jose Hockey Now’s Sheng Peng that Alexander Barabanovwill be out for a while; Peng reports that the winger sustained a broken finger.

The injury occurred near the end of Tuesday’s loss to Florida after a sequence that saw him block a high shot before taking two hits in quick succession.

Barabanov is off to a tough start himself as he has been held off the scoresheet for the first six games of the season, an unexpected outcome considering that he was coming off a career year that saw him record 47 points in 68 games.  The timing of the slow start plus the injury is hardly ideal as the 29-year-old is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next summer…

link to rest of article:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2023/10/alexander-barabanov-out-indefinitely.html#ref=home