The Whisky (Whiskey) Thread

chris12345

55 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Just tried a nice variation of Makers Mark I really enjoyed.  Bought it and a Wild Turkey rare Breed.  Sips a bit hot at first but so mellow afterwards.

image.thumb.png.77accd5289a578522c71b3918a9057be.png

Interesting. Makers is my favourite sipping Bourbon so I’ll have to give this a try. 

• Thanks 1

• chris12345 changed the title to The Whisky (Whiskey) Thread

So, lately, since I've been laid off from work, I've toned down searching for new whiskeys. I've still bought a few bottles over the past couple of months, mostly ones I've had before and really liked. Here are the more notable ones:

Redbreast 12 - An Irish whiskey. One of the first whiskeys I ever tried in my journey. This will likely get restocked from now on whenever I run out. It's just a nice easy drinker. If you give this to someone and they don't like it, they probably don't like whiskey. lol

Auchentoshan 12 - A lowlands scotch. Another one I've really liked in the past and will likely restock. Like the Redbreast, it's also sherry cask finished. Perhaps oddly enough, I like the texture of it, which is something I can't really say for most whiskeys as I don't usually associate alchohol with texture. In this case, it's a more oily whiskey, which I've decided I really like.

Deanston Virgin Oak - A highland scotch. This was a spur of the moment buy and the only new one for me of the 3 I'm mentioning in this post. For a no age statement, it's very pleasant to drink. I'm really curious as to what the Deanston 12 tastes like and will have to investigate at some point. 😉

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, The Lock said:

So, lately, since I've been laid off from work, I've toned down searching for new whiskeys. I've still bought a few bottles over the past couple of months, mostly ones I've had before and really liked. Here are the more notable ones:

Redbreast 12 - An Irish whiskey. One of the first whiskeys I ever tried in my journey. This will likely get restocked from now on whenever I run out. It's just a nice easy drinker. If you give this to someone and they don't like it, they probably don't like whiskey. lol

Auchentoshan 12 - A lowlands scotch. Another one I've really liked in the past and will likely restock. Like the Redbreast, it's also sherry cask finished. Perhaps oddly enough, I like the texture of it, which is something I can't really say for most whiskeys as I don't usually associate alchohol with texture. In this case, it's a more oily whiskey, which I've decided I really like.

Deanston Virgin Oak - A highland scotch. This was a spur of the moment buy and the only new one for me of the 3 I'm mentioning in this post. For a no age statement, it's very pleasant to drink. I'm really curious as to what the Deanston 12 tastes like and will have to investigate at some point. 😉

It's taken me some time to get in to Irish whiskeys because I feel they tend to pour really hot unless you meet price point X as a general.

But proclamation Irish whiskeys is a nice entrant.

That red breast is to me like yellow spot.  I can sip it all day long.  So damned good. 

I've also toned down my purchasing.  The insane increases in prices are out of control.  A $30 increase in Hibiki Harmony alone in a single year a $20 increase in green spot

So I've relaxed a lot but at a 110+ count for spirits and 30+ for wine I think I'll be ok.

For now

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 2

On 9/16/2023 at 3:30 PM, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Interesting. Makers is my favourite sipping Bourbon so I’ll have to give this a try. 

Makers Cask Strength is really good too.  It usually runs around 110 proof so it's not quite hazmat but it's pretty strong.  If you can handle the stronger stuff, I think you'll really appreciate the bolder, more concentrated flavors. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Hugh_Jasoule said:

Makers Cask Strength is really good too.  It usually runs around 110 proof so it's not quite hazmat but it's pretty strong.  If you can handle the stronger stuff, I think you'll really appreciate the bolder, more concentrated flavors. 

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to check it out. I don’t mind higher strength if the flavour is there.

I had a bottle of Hirsch in 100 proof a few weeks back. Very smooth for the strength, but lacked the flavour/smokiness of Makers. 

4675B161-DF22-49DF-A99F-2509C0FC50FB.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

Thanks for the tip! I’ll have to check it out. I don’t mind higher strength if the flavour is there.

I had a bottle of Hirsch in 100 proof a few weeks back. Very smooth for the strength, but lacked the flavour/smokiness of Makers. 

4675B161-DF22-49DF-A99F-2509C0FC50FB.jpeg

You need the Horizon!

image.thumb.png.574ca2f70d1ffb9848c2899ceb5e787f.png

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

You need the Horizon!

image.thumb.png.574ca2f70d1ffb9848c2899ceb5e787f.png

I’ll have to keep my eye out for that one. To tell the truth I haven’t noticed that brand in Canada. My mom brought it up from the states as a gift. I’ll send her that picture for the next time she comes up. She likes to try them as well. Cheers

4 hours ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

I’ll have to keep my eye out for that one. To tell the truth I haven’t noticed that brand in Canada. My mom brought it up from the states as a gift. I’ll send her that picture for the next time she comes up. She likes to try them as well. Cheers

AH Hirsch was one of my favourite pours living in the US but almost impossible to find.  You'd get it at whiskey kitchens for like $35 a pour.  it's dollar for dollar comparable to pappy or rip but absolutely positively better in every way

Edited by Warhippy