The Whisky (Whiskey) Thread

chris12345

10 hours ago, Warhippy said:

So we're good with tequila?

Doubling back here because I love tequila, will drink it warm though I will always put it in the freezer when I can to let it get ice cold. 

Espolon Blanco is the Mrs' and I's go to.  Used to be about $35 and it's now around $45.  Still think it's good value, smooth silver without that tequila bite back.

Casamigo's I also enjoy but more on occasion as it's pretty much a $100 bottle.  Happy to say, family came from the states last weekend and we had it for my birthday.  Also was the Blanco.  Thank you cousins and cheap American booze.

I used to be a Reposado guy but my wife has converted me to Blanco.  Though I still enjoy a good Reposado. 

Mezcal is a whole new ballgame I just discovered.

The article doesn't mention how high the bidding might go.  How much is 200 year old Scotch going for nowadays?  (I figure you guys would know.)

The World’s Oldest Scotch Whisky Is Heading to Auction

Perthshire’s Blair Castle has a long history — and, as it turns out, that history also includes a hidden trove of very historic whisky. How historic, you might ask? “Distilled nearly 200 years ago and potentially sampled by Queen Victoria” historic, apparently. And if the idea of owning some whisky deemed fit for royalty sounds intriguing to you, well, you might be in luck this fall.

Last year, Blair Castle Resident Trustee Bertie Troughton discovered a cache of 40 whisky bottles in the castle’s cellar. As per Whisky Auctioneer’s announcement of the pending sale, the whisky was likely distilled in 1833 and bottled eight years later, then rebottled in 1932.

As VinePair’s Olivia White reports, two dozen of those bottles are now set to be sold at auction in November.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/booze/worlds-oldest-scotch-whisky-heading-auction?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

35 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

The article doesn't mention how high the bidding might go.  How much is 200 year old Scotch going for nowadays?  (I figure you guys would know.)

Perthshire’s Blair Castle has a long history — and, as it turns out, that history also includes a hidden trove of very historic whisky. How historic, you might ask? “Distilled nearly 200 years ago and potentially sampled by Queen Victoria” historic, apparently. And if the idea of owning some whisky deemed fit for royalty sounds intriguing to you, well, you might be in luck this fall.

Last year, Blair Castle Resident Trustee Bertie Troughton discovered a cache of 40 whisky bottles in the castle’s cellar. As per Whisky Auctioneer’s announcement of the pending sale, the whisky was likely distilled in 1833 and bottled eight years later, then rebottled in 1932.

As VinePair’s Olivia White reports, two dozen of those bottles are now set to be sold at auction in November.

https://www.insidehook.com/daily_brief/booze/worlds-oldest-scotch-whisky-heading-auction?utm_source=join1440&utm_medium=email&utm_placement=newsletter

Given the rarity, age, and pedigree, probably mid to high 6 figures would be my guess?

Certainly too expensive for my tastes.  :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 1

On 9/25/2023 at 8:16 PM, Sharpshooter said:

Thoughts on Dalmore? Anyone?  

It’s my go to casual. I find it smooth as silk. Anyone have any other opinions? 

I've only had the 12 but I remember my first impression as being impressed, it's very smooth 

22 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

22 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Given the rarity, age, and pedigree, probably mid to high 6 figures would be my guess?

Certainly too expensive for my tastes.  :classic_ninja:

So I did a bit of digging, and a bunch of Macallan 50-ish y.o. single malts are going for 150k to 200k (presumed USD), so if I were to make a more narrower guess, probably around the $400k-600k range (USD) would probably be what I'd be expecting to see. 

Hard to say when it comes to auctions, though.  You could have a bunch of people who just don't want to fight for a chance to own a bottle, and you could have crazies coming out of the woodwork whose only goal in life is to see how much dick they could swing compared to others.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

LONDON (AP) — A bottle of what Sotheby’s is calling “the most sought-after Scotch whisky” is set to go up for auction next month, with an estimated price of up to 1.2 million pounds ($1.4 million), the auction house said Thursday.

It said the 96-year-old bottle of single malt from distiller Macallan — The Macallan Adami 1926 — will come under the hammer in London on Nov. 18, with a price estimate above 750,000 pounds. Advance bidding will begin Nov. 1.

A version of The Macallan 1926 was sold by Sotheby’s in 2019 for 1.5 million pounds, a record for any bottle of wine or spirit. The appearance of three different bottle variations of the whisky at auctions in 2018 and 2019 led to the record being broken three times.

“The Macallan 1926 is the one whisky that every auctioneer wants to sell and every collector wants to own,” said Jonny Fowle, Sotheby’s global head of spirits. “I am extremely excited to bring a bottle to a Sotheby’s auction for the first time since we set the record for this vintage four years ago.”

After being aged in sherry casks over six decades, just 40 bottles of The Macallan 1926 were bottled, making them the distillery’s oldest vintage.

Sotheby’s said some of the 40 were offered to Macallan clients, with up to 14 decorated with Macallan’s iconic Fine and Rare label, including the record-breaker. Twelve of the bottles, including the one being sold next month, had their labels designed by Italian painter Valerio Adami.

The bottle going up for sale is the first to have undergone reconditioning by the distillery ahead of auction. This included replacing the cork and applying new glue to the corners of the bottle labels.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms

On 10/20/2023 at 4:33 PM, chris12345 said:

Anyone know the fall release bottles? I'm surprised they aren't known yet.

Fall premium Release JUST dropped today

Heavy on the scotch again.  Broken down in to premium and luxe

Draws and lottery can be applied to on b liquor sites or in person at signature A series stores 

PXL_20231024_230841905.jpg

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Fall premium Release JUST dropped today

Heavy on the scotch again.  Broken down in to premium and luxe

Draws and lottery can be applied to on b liquor sites or in person at signature A series stores 

PXL_20231024_230841905.jpg

Nice!!!!

I can't find anything online?

22 hours ago, chris12345 said:

Nice!!!!

I can't find anything online?

For whatever reason the BC Liquor store and distribution is like 2 weeks behind the rest of the province.  We are actually woeful in comparison because they all rolled out on the same weekend with lottery draws in place and online registration ready to go.  These books are available but STILL nothing online except the bordeaux release from the end of sept.  That and the fall taste catalogue.

BC has done something really dumb IMO.  They havent indicated where select draws will be, they have their "luxe" and premiums dictated by location being only 2 on the coast.  Stagg, Blantons and other bourbons or harder to find things like the red breast 21 aren't being noted as to where they'll be at all.

Honestly, it's just a mess how this years release is being done.  Weeks after the rest of the country with zero actual attention being paid to anything.