The Whisky (Whiskey) Thread

chris12345

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

For whatever reason the BC Liquor store and distribution is like 2 weeks behind the rest of the province.  We are actually woeful in comparison because they all rolled out on the same weekend with lottery draws in place and online registration ready to go.  These books are available but STILL nothing online except the bordeaux release from the end of sept.  That and the fall taste catalogue.

BC has done something really dumb IMO.  They havent indicated where select draws will be, they have their "luxe" and premiums dictated by location being only 2 on the coast.  Stagg, Blantons and other bourbons or harder to find things like the red breast 21 aren't being noted as to where they'll be at all.

Honestly, it's just a mess how this years release is being done.  Weeks after the rest of the country with zero actual attention being paid to anything.

Yea seems like they are making it difficult.

Too bad I don't mind spending some coin to support it but if they make it hard I'll go elsewhere. Might pull the trigger on a larger order elsewhere.

Edited by chris12345

Since BC Liquor has been absolutely insanely awful at getting any level of information out.  Sourced from reddit.

November 18th Draws and releases.  So insanely underwhelming and crazily over priced.  For us here in the Okanagan the likelihood of getting a Stagg jr, a red spot or ANYTHING good is minimal unless we all line up at the Orchard Park Signature A location in kelowna.

Honestly, aside from a red breast, the red spot a stagg and rock hill.  Maybe a rum this is absolutely the most underwhelming and insanely over priced release I have seen to date

Edited by Warhippy

57 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Since BC Liquor has been absolutely insanely awful at getting any level of information out.  Sourced from reddit.

November 18th Draws and releases.  So insanely underwhelming and crazily over priced.  For us here in the Okanagan the likelihood of getting a Stagg jr, a red spot or ANYTHING good is minimal unless we all line up at the Orchard Park Signature A location in kelowna.

Honestly, aside from a red breast, the red spot a stagg and rock hill.  Maybe a rum this is absolutely the most underwhelming and insanely over priced release I have seen to date

Thanks.

Some ok buys but not sure I'll get out of bed.

Craigellachie 17, Laphroaig cairdeas, Blanton's, Aberlour 16.

That's it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chris12345 said:

Thanks.

Some ok buys but not sure I'll get out of bed.

Craigellachie 17, Laphroaig cairdeas, Blanton's, Aberlour 16.

That's it. 

Was saying the same thing.  Between the costs suggested and the fact I would have to travel and line up it is not worth it.

I'd LOVE a red spot but not worth waiting in Kelowna late Autumn in sub zero temps for at 5 am

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Was saying the same thing.  Between the costs suggested and the fact I would have to travel and line up it is not worth it.

I'd LOVE a red spot but not worth waiting in Kelowna late Autumn in sub zero temps for at 5 am

Yea BC prices are getting dumb. When a base model whisky is $70 we have a problem.

I get it. It's s a luxury but they aren't doing anyone favors.

Just got the spirit release email earlier, looks like some interesting stuff. Closest participating store is Fort St. John by the looks of it, might make my way over.

But I'm curious, does Alberta have an equivalent? I'm sure it'd probably be cheaper. Or maybe not? I'm up in Dawson Creek so Grande Prairie is pretty much the same distance as FSJ.

Edited by Coconuts

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Just got the spirit release email earlier, looks like some interesting stuff. Closest participating store is Fort St. John by the looks of it, might make my way over.

But I'm curious, does Alberta have an equivalent? I'm sure it'd probably be cheaper. Or maybe not? I'm up in Dawson Creek so Grande Prairie is pretty much the same distance as FSJ.

Alberta Sask Manitoba Ontario all do their relase on the 4th.  ALB or Atlantic Liquor Board provinces do theirs as well but in a vastly differentformat.

BC's is so underwhelming and overpriced.

Maybe 7 or 8 labels I want but with relgional issues and select items only going to certain stores it isn't worth me driving 2 hours and waiting in line in sub zero temps to get a chance at a bottle of red spot or a rock hill

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Alberta Sask Manitoba Ontario all do their relase on the 4th.  ALB or Atlantic Liquor Board provinces do theirs as well but in a vastly differentformat.

BC's is so underwhelming and overpriced.

Maybe 7 or 8 labels I want but with relgional issues and select items only going to certain stores it isn't worth me driving 2 hours and waiting in line in sub zero temps to get a chance at a bottle of red spot or a rock hill

Couldn't find anything definitive for Alberta, but I remember someone linking something from Alberta last year in the CDC thread.. 

I dunno, there are a few things I'm interested as far as BC goes, but I've def found I can get better bang for my buck in Alberta 

I managed to get some neat stuff in Nanaimo but I question what'd actually be available in FSJ, I guess I'll have to check back as it doesn't look like they've listed what is available where yet

53 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Couldn't find anything definitive for Alberta, but I remember someone linking something from Alberta last year in the CDC thread.. 

I dunno, there are a few things I'm interested as far as BC goes, but I've def found I can get better bang for my buck in Alberta 

I managed to get some neat stuff in Nanaimo but I question what'd actually be available in FSJ, I guess I'll have to check back as it doesn't look like they've listed what is available where yet

I want that Bowmore 52 haha. I'll settle for Craigallachie 17. Alberta has way better prices. I love loading up in Alberta on my basic stuff.

It's annoying you don't know which store gets what.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...

I skipped the release, the FSJ selection didn't move the needle enough and I needed to go to Grande Prairie

Wound up getting these two at the Costco liquor store, saved about $30 and $40 plus tax on them respectively (so about $85 and $55 compared to what I'd have paid at the BC liquor store

First time in 4-6 years I haven't gone and lined up early in the morning

20231118_161628.thumb.jpg.2b7f81271941435ba13cfb77c2a4bf57.jpg

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I skipped the release, the FSJ selection didn't move the needle enough and I needed to go to Grande Prairie

Wound up getting these two at the Costco liquor store, saved about $30 and $40 plus tax on them respectively (so about $85 and $55 compared to what I'd have paid at the BC liquor store

First time in 4-6 years I haven't gone and lined up early in the morning

20231118_161628.thumb.jpg.2b7f81271941435ba13cfb77c2a4bf57.jpg

Nice pick ups. Definitely worth pick up a bottle or 6 when at Costco.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

Seriously, as someone who grew up a long ways away from Alberta I'm always baffled at how much cheaper alcohol can be there 

Yes it is significantly cheaper especially the high end stuff.

And regardless of what people say on here sometimes a road trip to Alberta is fun and you grab some whisky and you check out the Rockies.

• Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

No hate for Buble from me.  Hilarious guy...likes to drink and is a Canucks fan.

I'm sure he is a fantastic guy.

HATE his music (just my taste) and doing shrooms before the Allstar game is too much for me.

1 hour ago, chris12345 said:

I'm sure he is a fantastic guy.

HATE his music (just my taste) and doing shrooms before the Allstar game is too much for me.

Too each their own.