[Article] What we learned about Canucks coach Rick Tocchet this week

RWJC

What we learned about Canucks coach Rick Tocchet this week

Iain MacIntyre

October 20, 2023, 12:13 PM

FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. – If you’re old enough to remember what Rick Tocchet was like as a player, you understand that what he said this week as a coach was probably a massive understatement.

It has been a challenging few days for the Vancouver Canucks, who were putrid in Philadelphia and competitive in Tampa – and lost both games. But Tuesday through Thursday provided a fascinating 72-hour case study of the evolving coach-players dynamic on the Canucks and what makes Toc tick as he tries to build trust – and everything else – with a team trying to learn how to win.

Three games into his first full season as the Canucks’ coach, Tocchet scorched players for their disinterest in the 2-0 loss against the Flyers on Tuesday, telling reporters he couldn’t name a single skater who played well and that the team simply didn’t compete.

The money quote was: “Who are we to think we’re anybody?”

But his more combustible line, because it was close to personal, was: “We’ve just got some guys, oof . . . they better pick it up. I don’t like to use the word soft, but I didn’t see guys competing at all. And that’s alarming.”

Before practice the next day in suburban Tampa, Tocchet and his staff had a come-to-Jesus debriefing with players, showing video and re-iterating the “staples” the Canucks must live by to have any chance at succeeding. Then they practised well and played profoundly better Thursday night against the Lightning, who exploited individual Vancouver breakdowns to rally for a 4-3 victory.

Interestingly, Tocchet said after the optional morning skate at Amalie Arena that he needed to give his players space and take a step back so they could address and fix problems themselves.

“Sometimes coaches, you know, there’s a time and place,” he told Sportsnet after the cameras turned off. “There was a time and place for that meeting (Wednesday) to address stuff, and I think now I’ve got to take a step back. The room has got to handle some stuff. The coach can’t always go in there. I think, strategically, you’ve got to pick your spots. Even tonight . . . me yelling and screaming, it’s not going to work tonight.

“I always try to put my player’s hat on when I coach. Like, if I was sitting in a room, how would I feel? I remember being in that room as a leader (as a player) — I’ve done it before and I’ve seen our leaders do it — like, ‘We’ve got it, coach, we’ve got this.’ I love players saying, basically, ‘Get out of here and let the players handle it.’ I think this is a we-got-it-moment. I’ve got to step aside.”

Canuck players got even more space on Friday, a scheduled day off in south Florida, and will re-assemble and reconnect with their coaches Saturday morning ahead of that night’s game against the Florida Panthers.

A ferociously competitive player who averaged 38 goals and 205 penalty minutes a season over a six-year period that bridged the 1980s and ’90s, Tocchet has always been about accountability. Literally and figuratively, he held players accountable.

“We traded for him in Pittsburgh,” Hall-of-Fame coach Scotty Bowman, who drove up from his winter home in Sarasota to watch Thursday’s game, said of Tocchet and the 1992 Stanley Cup-winning Penguins. “He was the new guy. But if he thought someone wasn’t doing enough, it didn’t matter if it was Mario (Lemieux) or anyone else, he would say something. Rick held people accountable.”

You can imagine what Tocchet wanted to say on Tuesday.

link to rest of article:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/what-we-learned-about-canucks-coach-rick-tocchet-this-week/?sn-amp

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

Nice article. I like Toc so far as a coach. He isnt giving us anything to complain about and so far 2-2 isnt a terrible record having three of those games on the road.

We will see how things progress, time and success/failure will change how you feel about anybody.

So far, I like him. As I said, I need to see more to real feel things out. I thought he was a needed change last year, Though, as Boudreau showed, coming in as the hot new thing doesnt translate to sustained success. The players and management can also heavily influence a coaches ability and performance as a coach.

I do see a lot of good that  gives me hope that Toc can get the most out of many the players. However, I wont be the first to bet on it, lol.

Here's hoping Toc can help the players and be  a part of rising Canucks team.

Go Canucks Go!!!

Edited by vcBrett
  • Cheers 2

i'm not sold on RT his lack of in game adjustment other than putting EP in the line blender is troublesome and just like all the other coaches refuses to use timeouts when we are clearly dominated and needed one. not sure why coaches insist on holding timeouts till last min of the 3rd if they are losing.. or don't use it period.. it's there for a reason and doesn't accumulate to the next game. the other concerning thing is the lack of adjustment game to game especially on defence.. we are getting absolutely destroyed on shot attempts in edmonton.. had 2 days of rest/practice.. same thing in philly.. and then same thing again in tampa.. hopefully he make adjustment soon as we easily could have been 1-3 right now and possibly 1-4 after today's game

3 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

i'm not sold on RT his lack of in game adjustment other than putting EP in the line blender is troublesome and just like all the other coaches refuses to use timeouts when we are clearly dominated and needed one. not sure why coaches insist on holding timeouts till last min of the 3rd if they are losing.. or don't use it period.. it's there for a reason and doesn't accumulate to the next game. the other concerning thing is the lack of adjustment game to game especially on defence.. we are getting absolutely destroyed on shot attempts in edmonton.. had 2 days of rest/practice.. same thing in philly.. and then same thing again in tampa.. hopefully he make adjustment soon as we easily could have been 1-3 right now and possibly 1-4 after today's game

I think he did alright with line matching last two games. Philly was on the players but I agree he should have used his timeout in the second.