[Article] Matvei Michkov's historic pace is making NHL teams who passed on him look foolish

Matvei Michkov's historic pace is making NHL teams who passed on him look foolish

Jacob Stoller

Michkov, who slid to No. 7 in the 2023 draft, surely has GMs who were reluctant to draft him because of the "Russian factor" second guessing everything.

We’re less than four months removed from the 2023 NHL draft and the shine of last year's class hasn’t faded one bit.

The first overall selection, Connor Bedard, is already a game-breaker. The second-overall pick, Leo Carlsson, and third-overall pick, Adam Fantilli don’t look far off from becoming impact players this season. The 13th overall pick, Zach Benson, could very well spend the entire year in the NHL, too.

But far in the distance, the seventh overall selection, Matvei Michkov, is having an extraordinary season of his own in Russia — the type of season that reminds us why, in the years leading up to a highly anticipated 2023 class, prospect pundits dubbed it the “Bedard/Michkov” draft. It also leaves one to rethink how he slipped beyond the top five.

Michkov, 18, is tearing up the KHL right now.

Since being loaned to Sochi after dressing for just one game with SKA St. Petersburg, Michkov has recorded 14 points in 14 gamesand was just voted into the KHL All-Star game. According to EliteProspects.com, Michkov currently has the highest single-season point-per-game output of any U-20 KHL skater (minimum 10 games) since the 2008-09 season.

At first glance, it’s fair to rebut that in the name of small sample size.

However, if you combine his production this season with last year — when he recorded 20 points in 27 KHL games — Michkov ranks sixth in total U-20 KHL points per game (0.73).

None of this should come as a surprise, considering Michkov is a generational talent. Yes, you read that right. The 5-foot-10 winger is a tantalizing talent who possesses spectacular hands, an elite shot and an ability to score at will.

According to the

HockeyProspecting.com model created by Byron Bader, players who produce at the rate Michkov did in his draft year have a 99 percent probability of becoming NHL stars.

With an NHLe of 56 in his draft year, Michkov is producing at a comparable clip to what Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel did when they were draft-eligible.

However, it’s fair to wonder if the five teams that drafted after Chicago really missed the ball here…

link to rest of article:

https://apple.news/A_6t96c3oSMCBECCd3rCWNQ

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

The real question is whether or not a team is willing to get him out of that Nazi hellhole using similar methods to what Buffalo had to do with Almo and Quebec with the Stastnys.

Russians never liked the Nazis, FYI. I know we talked about this, but it irks me so much that people want to use Nazis as an example of a totalitarian regime, but Putin was no Nazi.

2 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

Russians never liked the Nazis, FYI. I know we talked about this, but it irks me so much that people want to use Nazis as an example of a totalitarian regime, but Putin was no Nazi.

Russians think anyone who opposes them is a Nazi.  Putin doesn't understand it, but his regime follows Nazi ideology and tactics completely.  Bottom line is that teams are going to have to be sure Michkov is willing to risk his life to get out of that cesspool of a country.

Edited by King Heffy

52 minutes ago, RWJC said:

The first overall selection, Connor Bedard, is already a game-breaker. The second-overall pick, Leo Carlsson, and third-overall pick, Adam Fantilli don’t look far off from becoming impact players this season. The 13th overall pick, Zach Benson, could very well spend the entire year in the NHL, too.

But far in the distance, the seventh overall selection, Matvei Michkov, is having an extraordinary season of his own in Russia — the type of season that reminds us why, in the years leading up to a highly anticipated 2023 class, prospect pundits dubbed it the “Bedard/Michkov” draft. It also leaves one to rethink how he slipped beyond the top five.

Michkov, 18, is tearing up the KHL right now.

The 7th overall pick isn't far in the distance of the 13th overall pick.

And the KHL is not the NHL.

"With an NHLe of 56 in his draft year, Michkov is producing at a comparable clip to what Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux, Sidney Crosby, Auston Matthews and Jack Eichel did when they were draft-eligible."

Michkov has been drafted, but the author is comparing his totals to guys that had not been drafted, if I read that right?

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

I remember some folks said they "might" take him at our pick and I couldn't help but laugh at the idea. I still think it's absolutely nutty that any team after Chicago passed on him. And yes I include Fantilli. Waiting 3 years is nothing when you're talking about 18 year olds. Hell most aren't anywhere near their prime by then.We'll see how he shakes out in 3 years. But man, I don't think I could have passed on his upside for anyone other than Bedard. But hey, I was also super high on Podkolzin. So I don't know shit.