NHL launches EDGE puck and player tracking stats and it’s pretty damn cool

https://canucksarmy.com/news/nhl-launches-edge-puck-player-tracking-stats

The NHL is jumping into the future with their new EDGE stat portal, available on the NHL website or by clicking the link HERE.
EDGE provides some pretty fun information about every player and it comes from tacking devices sewn into each jersey as well as information from the puck itself.
Here’s what the NHL website’s overview video explained about EDGE.
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I wonder what the average Joe will do with all these pointless additional stats. I know I'm gonna be in the minority with this, but I just don't see what the big hype is about.

I think it will mostly be a curiosity thing. Who is actually fast? Who actually has the hardest shot in the league?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rubik said:

I wonder what the average Joe will do with all these pointless additional stats. I know I'm gonna be in the minority with this, but I just don't see what the big hype is about.

It'll help out with any disagreements, especially on this forum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This tech will surely be revolutionary in statistics tracking. Very cool to see what will happen with this.

Well you dont see the hidden stats. 

Our team has the lower end shots per game but what his hidden is we are in the 90th percentile for shot percentage.

So do shots per game really matter?

Does it matter if the shot is slower than everyone else? 

Its in the net. Thats all that really matters.

I would like to see after 30 games if our team shot percentage is still top even if our shots per game is below 50

45 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This tech will surely be revolutionary in statistics tracking. Very cool to see what will happen with this.

It'll also help with replay once it's proven to be reliable.  Offside calls, high sticks, and whether the puck crossed the goal line can be reviewed quickly and accurately with this technology.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

this is funny.... I don't see McDoofus in the fastest skater numbers and yet TSN goes gaga every time he starts to skate. Totally exaggerated. 

I wonder if he didnt get the covid vax so he is not being tracked lol

2 minutes ago, grumpyone said:

this is funny.... I don't see McDoofus in the fastest skater numbers and yet TSN goes gaga every time he starts to skate. Totally exaggerated. 

It looks like MacKinnon is ahead of him right now, especially with being at top speed consistently. MacKinnon has hit 20+ mph 50 times so far and the next most is Brayden Point at 39 times.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

It looks like MacKinnon is ahead of him right now, especially with being at top speed consistently. MacKinnon has hit 20+ mph 50 times so far and the next most is Brayden Point at 39 times.

That's a natural consequence of taking longer to get back to your own zone than it takes to get a pizza delivered.

Edited by King Heffy

42 minutes ago, Rubik said:

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

This is the biggest point of all this... so many on this Forum (sorry, previous forum) say Boeser is so fucking slow, and maybe he is but he has twice as many goals as everyone in the top ten fastest players.

Its a dumb way to judge a player.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tusk said:

This is the biggest point of all this... so many on this Forum (sorry, previous forum) say Boeser is so fucking slow, and maybe he is but he has twice as many goals as everyone in the top ten fastest players.

I think this also shows that while Boeser isn't fast, he's not that slow either. He's just very slightly under the 50% mark in all the speed measurements. Garland is a touch faster and Kuzmenko is a touch slower. He's also only one of four Canucks to shoot over 90 mph so far this season (the others unsurprisingly being Hronek, Myers, and Petey).

7 hours ago, grumpyone said:

He's like a cheetah... lazy most of the time, fast as hell when it wants to :classic_laugh:

8 hours ago, Tusk said:

Just like Mason Raymond, he’s fast skater. But he can’t even shoot well and stay on the ice without falling down.

People believe being a fast skater will make a big impact, there are flaws in both ways too.

2 minutes ago, Crimson JH said:

Just like Mason Raymond, he’s fast skater. But he can’t even shoot well and stay on the ice without falling down.

People believe being a fast skater will make a big impact, there are flaws in both ways too.

I think for bottom-six players, having speed is an important asset.  The skills are obviously not there or at least not there yet, but you might be able to beat opponents on hustle plays.  For example, a young player trying to break into the league should likely work on his foot speed.

It's like most sports.  Some of the best tennis/basketball/soccer players are slow as dirt but they are the best at what they do because they have a unique skillset a few cuts above the rest.  They also might have slower foot speed but they know how to anticipate better and get behind opponents before they have a chance to react.