[Article] Ex-Canucks and Habs enforcer Donald Brashear drops gloves at 51 years old

RWJC

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Ex-Canucks and Habs enforcer Donald Brashear drops gloves at 51 years old

Al Sciola

Oct 23 2023, 12:35 pm

When it comes to the longevity of former NHL players, it looks like 50 is the new 40.

Whether it be Alex Kovalev dangling players half his age in a KHL practice or Jaromir Jagr suiting up and playing gamesfor the Czech team he owns, “retirement” has become a bit of a looser term.

Another member of that age-defying group is former NHL enforcer Donald Brashear, who has never really stepped away from the ice despite last playing in the NHL in 2009.

Still in fighting shape, over the weekend, the 51-year-old played his first game with his new team, the Jonquière Marquis, in the LNAH, a low-level pro league in Quebec known for its high volume of fights.

And as he did in his glory days, Brashear answered the bell when he responded to the invitation of Derek Parker of the Laval Pétroliers.

The two big guys fought for over a minute, exchanging punches, shoves, and jersey pulls. Ultimately, Brashear came out on top, dropping his opponent to the ice with a knockout punch and winning the bout despite being 11 years his senior…

link to rest of article:

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/donald-brashear-fight-51-canadiens-canucks

Luckily Parker tapped out and turtled at the end, coz the big Brash was just catching his second wind haha.

Loved the guy when he played for us, the consummate bottom 6 player who slotted in nicely upward in the lineup when it came to protecting our stars....and he regularly put the fear of bojeebus into opposing teams....and he was by all accounts an awesome team mate, and he averaged .27 PPG (22 points per season) while holding other teams accountable when they fucked with us....not too shabby.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Well I hope Brashear is enjoying himself and doing it because he wants to.  This reminds me of Ross Rhea in Goon 2.

Ross Rhea read Probert's book and studied him (Liev Schrieber?), wanted to emulate the real Bob.  Why he's having a smoke at the restaurant (Nova Scotia is also a little lenient on somethings ... like  a little diner on the West side of Kamloops lake last time I went, decades after the no smoking laws were passed would still let patrons do this too) ... one cool character.    Those movies cracked me up.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Ross Rhea read Probert's book and studied him (Liev Schrieber?), wanted to emulate the real Bob.  Why he's having a smoke at the restaurant (Nova Scotia is also a little lenient on somethings ... like  a little diner on the West side of Kamloops lake last time I went, decades after the no smoking laws were passed would still let patrons do this too) ... one cool character.    Those movies cracked me up.  

Ross Rhea is one of the all time best supporting characters in a comedy I have ever seen.  That scene in the first Goon at the diner late at night was obviously a tribute to / rip off of Pacino and De Niro in Heat but it totally worked for what it was supposed to be.  That kind of rip off in an actual drama or action movie is pathetic but in a movie like Goon it worked perfectly.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

On 10/23/2023 at 7:43 PM, D.B Cooper said:

Donald was in a bit of controversy earlier this year for ‘jumping’ two guys on the ice.  
I think he is getting a little old for this shit, but at least he is playing hockey and is hopefully done with his alleged drug problems and what not. 

https://www.markerzone.com/news/index.php?no=202005

That was actually more interesting than the OP video.   Brashear didn't even take his gloves off, was punched first and reacted, leaving the guy likely half his age bloodied and probably learnt a valuable lesson.   How's it a "sucker punch" if you're facing the guy and he's already thrown the first shot?  He didn't "jump" anyone.   He was reacting.  To aggression towards himself.   Like he's supposed just stand there and take abuse.   In his playing days it would have been 2 each for roughing that's it, that's what a gloved punch was back then, Brashear maybe get a double minor and the other guy unsportsmanlike for putting himself into that position.   

Edited by IBatch