[Report] Don Taylor inducted into the 2024 class of the BC Sports Hall of Fame

Congrats to Donnie, the honour is truly deserved. Always good for some laughs and a little trivia mixed in with sports. The fact that he’s from here is such a bonus these days with all the out-of-towners parachuted in with little knowledge of local sports.

I miss the glory days of Sports Page with their superb team and their highlight packages. Absolutely loved Yulin’ with the Page!

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

7 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Congrats to Donnie, the honour is truly deserved. Always good for some laughs and a little trivia mixed in with sports. The fact that he’s from here is such a bonus these days with all the out-of-towners parachuted in with little knowledge of local sports.

I miss the glory days of Sports Page with their superb team and their highlight packages. Absolutely loved Yulin’ with the Page!

Sports Page was the best.  Never really seen anything like it since.  It was like four parts sports recap and one part Kids in the Hall.  I remember they all grew playoff beards for one playoffs in the 90s and it was like that Cheers episode.  They all had these legit beards and then Shorthouse had like five whiskers above his lip and then just some billy goat stuff on his neck underneath his chin.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

and it was like that Cheers episode.

which one?

Edit: nvm, found it. Season 8, episode 9 - "Two Girls for Every Boyd"

Interestingly it's the same episode Lisa Kudrow was on, one of her earliest television appearances (5 years before Friends)

Edited by Rubik

Congrats, but, meh, not really a fan. He seems full of himself, spouting off all those jersey numbers and recounting the history, trying to impress with his good memory. 

I also don't like his negativity of what JR/PA are trying to do. Donnie would rather tear it down, trade all of the good players ('cause that's what would happen in a rebuild), and rebuild through high draft picks. Because it's worked so well with Arizona. 😄

Saying that though, I do watch D&D almost daily, they can be kind of funny at times. 

3 hours ago, Nucker67 said:

Congrats, but, meh, not really a fan. He seems full of himself, spouting off all those jersey numbers and recounting the history, trying to impress with his good memory. 

I also don't like his negativity of what JR/PA are trying to do. Donnie would rather tear it down, trade all of the good players ('cause that's what would happen in a rebuild), and rebuild through high draft picks. Because it's worked so well with Arizona. 😄

Saying that though, I do watch D&D almost daily, they can be kind of funny at times. 

He was good back in the day but now he's turned to a slightly less bitter Moj imo 

Awesome! Congrats to Donnie, Sports Page was such a big part of my life back in the days when there weren't anything other than the tv to get your info (can you imagine kids? no internet, social media, google)

Used to love hearing his similes and colloquialisms on a nightly basis, and when he used to mimic the TML PA announcer it was too funny (and spot on)...or when describing a great save as being "in rapier-like fashion"...there are simply too many "Donnie-isms" to mention.

Well deserved, for an iconic sportscaster.

• Cheers 2

Never a big fan of his, but can't deny him deserving the induction.  Congrats Stump! :classic_wink:

Sports Page was the best.  Remember going to the Coliseum with Dad, parking at my uncle's place just a couple blocks away, then walking back to his place to watch the Page before going home.  Or catching Sports Page with the guys after ball hockey Tuesday nights.  Classic!

5 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Awesome! Congrats to Donnie, Sports Page was such a big part of my life back in the days when there weren't anything other than the tv to get your info (can you imagine kids? no internet, social media, google)

Used to love hearing his similes and colloquialisms on a nightly basis, and when he used to mimic the TML PA announcer it was too funny (and spot on)...or when describing a great save as being "in rapier-like fashion"...there are simply too many "Donnie-isms" to mention.

Well deserved, for an iconic sportscaster.

Love his “brouhaha”

Or, “ You are up to the date with the word of sports” while putting his signature on the page in front of him.

• Cheers 1

• Rubik changed the title to [Report] Don Taylor inducted into the 2024 class of the BC Sports Hall of Fame