[Article] Eyes on the Isles claiming the Isles are the Winners of the trade for Bo Horvat

It's been just under eight months since the NY Islanders acquired Bo Horvat from the Vancouver Canucks in a blockbuster deal before the trade deadline. After mixed emotions upon his arrival, it's safe to say the Islanders are currently looking like the winners of the trade, as Horvat has been enjoying his time so far on Long Island.

https://eyesonisles.com/posts/ny-islanders-revisiting-the-bo-horvat-trade-with-the-vancouver-canucks-8-months-later-01hdv9fw25n1

I personally see it was a win win except the Islanders are barely playing any differently from last year. So can they really claim they are the winners of the trade lol. I think by the time he is 30+ his contract is going to look pretty bad.

Edited by Shekky
  • Thanks 1

• Shekky changed the title to [Article] Eyes on the Isles claiming the Isles are the Winners of the trade for Bo Horvat

Even just comparing Hronek, let alone Raty and Beauvillier, it feels pretty even, especially for our team needs.

Horvat: 8GP 4G 3A 7P 2PPP, 34SOG, +0, 6HIT, 5 BLK

Hronek: 8GP 0G 7A 7P 1PPP, 16SOG, +8, 7HIT, 11 BLK

Bo is getting significantly more PP time, and he's on the top unit. I know +/- isn't a perfect stat, but Hronek's is significantly better, as Hronek is much better at playing in the defensive end.

Plus, Hronek is three years younger, so the contract he signs will have him in his prime longer.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

How is it only a futures deal when we got  Hronek (with the first) we got for Bo? 
Hronek is an elite, right shot D. He’s 26. We win this trade easy. 

Plus, Raty is only 20 and developing nicely in Abby. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Great if the Isles are happy with their return, so are we.

Thing is, when Raty develops into a solid 2nd line C, we win the deal straight up. 

Hronek, Raty + (anything we receive for Beau, if traded) >>>> Horvat. 

• Cheers 1

well if you are looking at the trade straight up from Islanders vs Canucks.. then yes the islander are the winner of the trade.. 

islander traded a 17th pick raty and what looks like a cap dump beauvillier as he's really doing nothing right now

canucks traded horvat

canucks won the trade for the 17th pick and something for hronek

so they are not wrong. islander won the trade with the canucks but the canucks used the asset to win the trade with detroit

if this was a 3 way deal then islander and canucks both win and detroit loses

but if looking at individual trade islander won the trade with the canucks who won the trade with detroit and turned it into a win.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

well if you are looking at the trade straight up from Islanders vs Canucks.. then yes the islander are the winner of the trade.. 

islander traded a 17th pick raty and what looks like a cap dump beauvillier as he's really doing nothing right now

canucks traded horvat

canucks won the trade for the 17th pick and something for hronek

so they are not wrong. islander won the trade with the canucks but the canucks used the asset to win the trade with detroit

if this was a 3 way deal then islander and canucks both win and detroit loses

but if looking at individual trade islander won the trade with the canucks who won the trade with detroit and turned it into a win.

from that perspective maybe still a few years away from knowing whether this was good or bad.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Shekky said:

https://eyesonisles.com/posts/ny-islanders-revisiting-the-bo-horvat-trade-with-the-vancouver-canucks-8-months-later-01hdv9fw25n1

I personally see it was a win win except the Islanders are barely playing any differently from last year. So can they really claim they are the winners of the trade lol. I think by the time he is 30+ his contract is going to look pretty bad.

I think the trade worked out for both teams. NYI needed someone who could play 1C / 2C position, we needed someone who was capable of playing 1RD with Hughes. By trading the 1st round pick we got from NYI, to Detriot, we've achieved that.

Through 8 games, Hronek is at 7 assists and has been lights out with Hughes when they are on the ice. He has been a perfect fit in that position and it is allowing us the flexibility to bring our other RD's in the system along at a slower pace.

Horvat is 4 goals, 3 assists through 8 games, so a wash on production.

I would call it Horvat = Hronek, but slight advantage to us in that RD's at Hronek's level are really expensive to find.

Plus, we have Raty who is showing signs that he can become a solid 3C and Beauvillier showed good potential when he first got here and if he washes out, he's still an attractive trade chip as we get closer to the deadline, we should be able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him if we retain 50%.

I think the advantage on the trade is to us, just based on the positional need we addressed.

1 minute ago, Shekky said:

from that perspective maybe still a few years away from knowing whether this was good or bad.

raty will probably become a serviceable 3c and that 17th pick detroit got turns out to be a stud then sure islander lost the trade. otherwise i still say islander won the trade if we look at each trade individually instead of oh we traded this guy for that guy for that guy that turned out to be this guy.. if that's the case then you can never really win or lose a trade until the players have nothing to do with the original trade.. otherwise it'll be something like horvat was traded for the 17th pick then was traded for hronek.. then hronek was traded for so and so.. and then he was traded for some draft picks.. we wouldn't know the result for 20+ years at that rate haha

29 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think the trade worked out for both teams. NYI needed someone who could play 1C / 2C position, we needed someone who was capable of playing 1RD with Hughes. By trading the 1st round pick we got from NYI, to Detriot, we've achieved that.

Through 8 games, Hronek is at 7 assists and has been lights out with Hughes when they are on the ice. He has been a perfect fit in that position and it is allowing us the flexibility to bring our other RD's in the system along at a slower pace.

Horvat is 4 goals, 3 assists through 8 games, so a wash on production.

I would call it Horvat = Hronek, but slight advantage to us in that RD's at Hronek's level are really expensive to find.

Plus, we have Raty who is showing signs that he can become a solid 3C and Beauvillier showed good potential when he first got here and if he washes out, he's still an attractive trade chip as we get closer to the deadline, we should be able to get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him if we retain 50%.

I think the advantage on the trade is to us, just based on the positional need we addressed.

I disagree with you on the point that if Beauvilier washes out that he has trade value at the deadline. He needs to produce something to have some value. 

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Too early to call. We got futures out of the deal. Come back in 5 years and we'll see.

Yes, its early, but at this stage I think the trade is a big win for the Canucks. Horvat has 7 pts in 8 games and has a plus/minus of zero. But his underlying stats are not great.  In expected goals, Coris, High Danger chances and every other advanced stat he is on the negative side of the ledger.

Evolving hockey has him as about replacement level. He is dramatically overpaid for his contract. Hronek, on the other hand, is great in the advanced stats and is excellent value for his contract. And the Canucks have Raty as well.

We don’t miss Horvat, we certainly don’t miss his salary on our books, we filled an immediate need and got additional futures with potential untapped upside and a contract that may be movable at the deadline. Regardless of Horvat’s value, we’re in much better shape having made the moves we did, and it’s hard to imagine getting more back. Scary to think where we would be now had we given Horvat that contract. We win, but possible NYI does too. I don’t think that Horvat deal will age well though.

1 hour ago, Lewlowned said:

Even just comparing Hronek, let alone Raty and Beauvillier, it feels pretty even, especially for our team needs.

Horvat: 8GP 4G 3A 7P 2PPP, 34SOG, +0, 6HIT, 5 BLK

Hronek: 8GP 0G 7A 7P 1PPP, 16SOG, +8, 7HIT, 11 BLK

Bo is getting significantly more PP time, and he's on the top unit. I know +/- isn't a perfect stat, but Hronek's is significantly better, as Hronek is much better at playing in the defensive end.

Plus, Hronek is three years younger, so the contract he signs will have him in his prime longer.

It also gave both teams something they needed. NYI got a center for Barzal, the Canucks got a center prospect and a top four RD. 

Seems pretty even thus far. 

Beau isn't positive value, Raty is a prospect with potential but that's about it at this point. Maybe Raty turns into something but I'd be a little surprised if he amounted to a top six NHL forward. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

The Islanders can suck it. They overpaid him on this contract, and I don't think it'll age well. I wasn't happy with the price we paid to get Hronek, but he's looking WELL worth the price. Maybe its playing with Hughes that has elevated his game, but whatever, I'm liking what I'm seeing.

I doubt Horvat keeps up this pace, which is 40 goals in 80 games, just don't see it to be honest, and I don't think he has fit in as much as they thought he would have, sure he is a good player but back when the trade happened, it seemed the consensus was he was going to light it up immediately, which he didn’t, but maybe this year is different, who knows, I just don't think he stays in Long Island for more than a couple more years.

Edited by VanCanFan

10 minutes ago, VanCanFan said:

I doubt Horvat keeps up this pace, which is 40 goals in 80 games, just don't see it to be honest, and I don't think he has fit in as much as they thought he would have, sure he is a good player but back when the trade happened, it seemed the consensus was he was going to light it up immediately, which he didn’t, but maybe this year is different, who knows, I just don't think he stays in Long Island for more than a couple more years.

well you have to look at context.. when he was traded to the islanders barzal pageau all went down.. barzal didn't come back till the playoff.. he was expected to play with barzal and he was gone. their shutdown guy in pageau was also injured so hes playing a even more defensive role than he was in vancouver.. and 40 goals in 80 game is not unrealistic pace assuming their top guy stays healthy. he's been on a 35+ goal pace the last 2 season in a defensive role outside of PP.. and everyone is laughing he can only produce on the pp.. he has 33% of his points on the PP compared to Miller at 37%.. 31% of his goals on the PP vs millers 35%. so i really dont get the horvat bashing that he can only produce on the PP

• Cheers 3