[Proposal] Beauvillier for Klingberg + our 2024 5th round pick

Both players have a $4.15m cap hit for one more season.

TOR are reportedly looking to trade for Zadorov ($3.75m) and likely have to move Klingberg to make the cap work.

However, Klingberg has a 10 team no-trade list, which I bet Calgary is on.

If TOR makes this move first (at just the cost of returning our 2024 5th round pick), then TOR will be able to trade Beau+ to CGY in return for Zadorov.

Essentially VAN moves a spare winger for a spare defenseman. Would be good to have some more NHL quality depth on the blueline.

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How does this benefit either team?

Toronto doesn't need scoring, it needs defence.

Vancouver doesn't need a Chaos Swede.

Why especially would Toronto throw in a 5th?

Charity?

Vancouver just dumped an overpriced Swedish defenseman, so the solution is find another for the rest of the season?

Most of these questions are answered in the OP.

TOR would be moving Beau for an upgrade on their defense (Zadorov).

VAN's blueline depth is non-existent. We are currently icing 2 AHL level players. Klingberg is at least an NHL quality defenseman that would likely excel playing 3rd pairing minutes (he cannot handle 21 mins like he is being asked to play in TOR).

This is a different way to move out one of our untradeable wingers in order to add depth to our blueline for this season, without spending 1st round picks.

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Confused 1

Yeah. Toronto will be putting Klingberg on LTIR.  Doing this trade actually makes it MORE difficult for them to find the cap space to trade for a defenceman.  Assuming that Calgary would have any interest in moving Zadorov for Beauvillier is a pretty big assumption with no grounding in fact 

Edited by qwijjibo

33 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Yeah. Toronto will be putting Klingberg on LTIR.  Doing this trade actually makes it MORE difficult for them to find the cap space to trade for a defenceman.  Assuming that Calgary would have any interest in moving Zadorov for Beauvillier is a pretty big assumption with no grounding in fact 

Yeah except I didn't say Beau for Zad, I said Beau+ for Zadorov, the + will likely need to be a 1st round pick from TOR to CGY

If CGY wants to trade Zad to TOR they are going to have to take back some cap to make the deal work. Klingberg is unlikely moveable to CGY due to his mNTC, whereas Beau has no trade protection. I don't think CGY would have the slightest interest in Beau, but they will need to take salary back to make it work for TOR.

Lol Calgary doesn't need another mediocre winger (Huberdeau, Sharangovich, Ruzicka, Dube).  Vancouver doesn't need an offensive D (Hughes, Hronek).  Meanwhile Toronto gets Zadorov to help with their D for a playoff push.    
Let's not help the Leafs.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

Lol Calgary doesn't need another mediocre winger (Huberdeau, Sharangovich, Ruzicka, Dube).  Vancouver doesn't need an offensive D (Hughes, Hronek).  Meanwhile Toronto gets Zadorov to help with their D for a playoff push.    
Let's not help the Leafs.

VAN also doesn't need another mediocre winger in Beau. IMO we could better use that cap hit on any NHL level defenseman (offensive or otherwise). 

20 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Yeah except I didn't say Beau for Zad, I said Beau+ for Zadorov, the + will likely need to be a 1st round pick from TOR to CGY

If CGY wants to trade Zad to TOR they are going to have to take back some cap to make the deal work. Klingberg is unlikely moveable to CGY due to his mNTC, whereas Beau has no trade protection. I don't think CGY would have the slightest interest in Beau, but they will need to take salary back to make it work for TOR.

With Kljngberg going on LTIR Toronto will have a lot more cap flexibility to make a Zadorov trade without having to include an asset that Calgary will have little interest in. 

31 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

With Kljngberg going on LTIR Toronto will have a lot more cap flexibility to make a Zadorov trade without having to include an asset that Calgary will have little interest in. 

If he goes onto LTIR for the rest of the season (which he hasn't yet) then absolutely no need for TOR to try and trade him. Paves the way for a deal with CGY without needing to send any cap their way. And zero need for the proposed trade above. The timing seems a little too convenient for TOR if you ask me!

Edited by BigTramFan

19 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

If he goes onto LTIR for the rest of the season (which he hasn't yet) then absolutely no need for TOR to try and trade him. Paves the way for a deal with CGY without needing to send any cap their way. And zero need for the proposed trade above. The timing seems a little too convenient for TOR if you ask me!

I see you have never visited Robidas Island

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Most of these questions are answered in the OP.

TOR would be moving Beau for an upgrade on their defense (Zadorov).

VAN's blueline depth is non-existent. We are currently icing 2 AHL level players. Klingberg is at least an NHL quality defenseman that would likely excel playing 3rd pairing minutes (he cannot handle 21 mins like he is being asked to play in TOR).

This is a different way to move out one of our untradeable wingers in order to add depth to our blueline for this season, without spending 1st round picks.

🥴  Why wouldn't we just trade Beauvillier for Zadorov???

11 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Both players have a $4.15m cap hit for one more season.

TOR are reportedly looking to trade for Zadorov ($3.75m) and likely have to move Klingberg to make the cap work.

However, Klingberg has a 10 team no-trade list, which I bet Calgary is on.

If TOR makes this move first (at just the cost of returning our 2024 5th round pick), then TOR will be able to trade Beau+ to CGY in return for Zadorov.

Essentially VAN moves a spare winger for a spare defenseman. Would be good to have some more NHL quality depth on the blueline.

Trading for a defenseman whose career is most likely over is such a great idea.......simon cowell facepalm GIF

On 11/21/2023 at 9:52 PM, BigTramFan said:

VAN also doesn't need another mediocre winger in Beau. IMO we could better use that cap hit on any NHL level defenseman (offensive or otherwise). 

I'd tend to disagree, seeing how Klingberg is pretty much offensively oriented.  
Being awful in your own end on Vancouver doesn't really work when we already have a potential liability in Myers.
Furthermore, if his offense isn't good enough to stick with a vaunted offense like Toronto's, I'm not sure he should be a target when that's his bread and butter.  His countryman (Karlsson) can stick with Pittsburgh and co-exist with Letang because both can pop off, but if he's firmly stuck behind Hughes and Hronek and maybe not even that good in his own end, he doesn't bring much to the table.