Bruce Boudreau opens up about being fired by the Canucks - Nasty Knuckles Podcast

DeltaSwede

I'm not a follower of the nasty knuckles podcast but it showed up on my youtube feed and I thought it was worth sharing with you. 

Boudreau is more open about things in this interview than past interviews. Well, at least to my knowledge. 

I liked Bruce and certainly it's my fandom or bias speaking, but at some point it just get's annoying to listen to the bitterness from past Canucks employees like Chris Gear, Trevor Linden and Bruce Boudreau. 

I completely agree with him about publicly bashing him and his systems. You'd want your boss to have your back in public, keep the critique inhouse. 

With the success of the team this season, it feels like ghosts from the past trying to grab some of the credit. At least that's how it comes across to me. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Can this stop at some point? He wasn't a good coach for us long term.

He had an option in his contract, and he took it. In hindsight maybe he should have walked away, he might be coaching somewhere right now.

We also don't know all the conversations he had with JR before it all hit the fan.

What is up with people and silencing conversations? It's weird because the same type of thing happened when critiquing Gillis and then when it comes to new management, the same thing is going on. I think people are picking and choosing what to say or hear. It's pretty disturbing.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, PureQuickness said:

What is up with people and silencing conversations? It's weird because the same type of thing happened when critiquing Gillis and then when it comes to new management, the same thing is going on. I think people are picking and choosing what to say or hear. It's pretty disturbing.

? Who have I silenced

• Cheers 3

Those two idiots from Philly sound more choked up over Bruce's firing than most Canucks fans. Sheesh.

Bruce isn't doing himself any favours by blabbing on and on, throwing JR/PA under the bus. Who's going to hire that guy to coach their team, knowing he's going to write a scathing book one day?

Getting tired of the whining.

• Cheers 2

Only two people to blame here:

1. Franceso Aquilini 

2. Jim Rutherford. 

Thankfully, Jim Rutherford realized how badly he screwed up in this situation and decided to fade away behind the scenes after the Boudreau fiasco.  

This is when Patrik Alvin *really* took over the Canucks and no longer had Rutherford's hand up his ass.  

Alvin has been incredible for this franchise and I really love many of the moves he's made, along with the current coaching staff.   

While I feel for Boudreau (and genuinely do hope that both Jim Rutherford and Franceso Aquilini go to hell one day when they die), I think Alvin has been an absolute god-send to this team and I expect this trend to continue.  

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Cheers 1

The thing about boudreau is hes not a great coach.

he’s hanging around the league based on his season success, but the reality is he has had some great rosters to work with and has come up real short in the playoffs

if the leafs were a coach they would be bruce.

The fact that he seems like a great dude i think also gives him more respect 

But time to move on and just let the past be lessons for the future

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Rutherford really had no excuse for his lack of professionalism and should have been fired the minute it became obvious he wasn't willing to conduct himself appropriately.  The sooner he is replaced with someone without his character issues, the better.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

The idiots Rutherford hired have crippled the franchise with almost a decade of dead cap thanks to gross incompetence.  I have no respect for the coaching staff either, starting with the criminal Rutherford hired as the head coach.  I'd love to see Burke brought back, but realistically anyone who isn't a complete dirtbag would be an upgrade over Rutherford.  Bottom line is that the entire group needs to be replaced from the top down.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Due to Rutherford's actions, we now have a GM who knows how and when to make roster changes, we have assistant GMs who know and are good at their jobs, we have a coaching staff that is efffective and commands respect in the hockey world, we have a team that is playing mostly well most of the time, we have the most promising group of young prospects we've maybe ever had, and there is more hope for success than there ever was under the Linden/Benning/Wiesbrod regime. And if Rutherford has such awful character issues, why is he so respected around the hockey world? Oh, and if he is replaced, who might you suggest that doesn't have the same character flaws?

Aside from whose side you are favoring, the bottom line is that this team has improved greatly. I mentioned in the last couple of seasons that I wasn't even interested in watching Canuck games as the structure was so bad. 

We had no one backchecking, forechecking, body checking(except Schenn), we weren't sticking up for each other and we relied heavily on our goaltending to bale us out most nights.

We have gotten ,bigger , stronger, faster and have very good structure and alot less 3 on 1's and 2 on 1's. 

I don't think we are exactly where coaching and management want us yet but we are definitely moving in the right direction, finally.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I completely agree with him about publicly bashing him and his systems. You'd want your boss to have your back in public, keep the critique inhouse. 

that's why rutherford doesn't do media anymore; he thought that vancouver fans and media would appreciate openness and candour, but instead they just used it to sensationalize stories and create drama. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

He deserves some of the credit though, Pettersson and Hughes blew up last season partially under Boudreau's watch for example. He's also the coach who actually put Pettersson and Hughes and the PK if I'm not mistaken, something that didn't really happen under Green. 

He does deserve some of the credit for Pettersson and Hughes's development. Miller also blew up under Boudreau's watch. One can argue it was simply players taking the next step, but you've also got to credit their coaches to some degree. 

Boudreau was also instrumental in our getting Kuzmenko, as well as Kuzmenko being put in positions to succeed. 

Horvat also blew up under Boudreau, which resulted in us having Hronek. 

I've no issue with Bruce saying his piece, our team record wasn't rosy while he was here but he did contribute to the team we've watched this season.

Definitely true. Bruce was incredible both for our team's development and also for our team overall during 2021-22. It was clear in 2022-23 that he wasn't the coach we needed to push to the next level of a playoff team, but I still love what he did for this team in the end.

The way it ended was gross and very poorly handled by the Canucks brass, but it did need to end, one way or another.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Can this stop at some point? He wasn't a good coach for us long term.

He had an option in his contract, and he took it. In hindsight maybe he should have walked away, he might be coaching somewhere right now.

We also don't know all the conversations he had with JR before it all hit the fan.

I totally agree. He sounds all salty. If he knew he was getting fired he should have just walked away if that was his prerogative. He was a crappy coach. Nice guy but didn't teach his guys anything and just overplayed his stars. It feels like I could have done that. The team played like he did, which is why he never made the show.

Good guy though. The chant was kind of fun but really says it all when that's your legacy. Reading between the lines it sounds like he was butting heads with JR and lost.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Definitely true. Bruce was incredible both for our team's development and also for our team overall during 2021-22. It was clear in 2022-23 that he wasn't the coach we needed to push to the next level of a playoff team, but I still love what he did for this team in the end.

The way it ended was gross and very poorly handled by the Canucks brass, but it did need to end, one way or another.

Aye, the man was part of the team's development and a part of these year's team's story, there's nothing wrong with Bruce telling his stories. 

It didn't end well, but it is what it is. Bruce doesn't owe the Canucks, or the Canucks fanbase, silence. If folks wanna be sour about it, by all means, but let's not erase Bruce's contributions or deny him his credit. Bruce's impact still exists on the current iteration of the Canucks. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I totally agree. He sounds all salty. If he knew he was getting fired he should have just walked away if that was his prerogative. He was a crappy coach. Nice guy but didn't teach his guys anything and just overplayed his stars. It feels like I could have done that. The team played like he did, which is why he never made the show.

Good guy though. The chant was kind of fun but really says it all when that's your legacy. Reading between the lines it sounds like he was butting heads with JR and lost.

Millenials never forgive.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Rutherford really had no excuse for his lack of professionalism and should have been fired the minute it became obvious he wasn't willing to conduct himself appropriately.  The sooner he is replaced with someone without his character issues, the better.

Here comes Heffy with his outlandish reactions.

JR isn't here to please the soft minded. He's here to win hockey games.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

The idiots Rutherford hired have crippled the franchise with almost a decade of dead cap thanks to Rosie incompetence.  I have no respect for the coaching staff either, starting with the criminal Rutherford hired as the head coach.  I'd love to see Burke brought back, but realistically anyone who isn't a complete dirtbag would be an upgrade over Rutherford.  Bottom line is that the entire group needs to be replaced from the top down.

Lmao wow 

You never cease to amaze me.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1