Josh Bloom | LW/RW

6 hours ago, WillisD said:

Best thing for him. Head to the echl for a lot of playing time and back to the ahl when ready. No rush

4 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

He needs playing time that he is not getting in Abby. I expect this is a fairly short term move and we will see him back in Abby at some point in January if not before.

I agree. He needs to play and he is not getting reps in Abby. But it is disappointing that he did not play well enough to work his way up the Abby line-up.

Apart from goalies, the track record of prospects that get dropped from the AHL to ECHL is not good. (Yes, I realize Burrows played in the ECHL and there are some other examples but those examples are rare.) I had high hopes for Bloom when he was acquired in the Stillman trade. Maybe a change of scenery will help.

• Cheers 1

Agreed it will be good for him to get some more playing time, Abby has a pretty competitive lineup and even though they are younger than many AHL teams most of the kids are at least 22-23 besides Raty and Klim. I expect some forwards to graduate over the next year or two and a spot will open up for him if he's ready to take it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

To learn from Henrik and Daniel Sedin this week was a surreal experience. Their easy-going, no-ego manner to make prospects comfortable — while providing a master class in skill development — left quite the impression.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/vancouver-canucks/analysis/it-felt-great-that-vancouver-wanted-me-the-way-they-did-canucks-prospect-josh-bloom-breaks-down-his-trade-to-vancouver-and-goal-of-lifting-the-memorial-cup

“Hank came up to me and had a conversation like I was just another guy,” said Bloom. “It was a weird experience. I grew up watching these guys and they’re idols to a ton of people. Pretty cool.

“And Daniel was fantastic to work with on board drills and tips that will go a long way, and you couldn’t have a better guy to learn from, right?

Edited by Rip The Mesh

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 11:06 AM, N4ZZY said:

what's the ceiling of this kid? does he have an NHL future?

If he does, looks like maybe a future bottom 6 energy guy if everything clicks. He has pro level skating already

• 3 months later...

Bloom and his Saginaw Spirit will take a few weeks off before gearing up to compete against the CHL’s best in this year’s Memorial Cup as the hosting team. The tournament will be Bloom’s final kick at the Junior-level can, as he’ll officially age out and begin his second attempt at pro hockey in 2024-25.

Josh had cooled off substantially down the stretch, managing just one goal and two points over his last ten games. The dropoff came after a remarkable stretch that saw him score 38 points across the previous 24 games.

7 hours ago, Stierlitz said:

Bloom and his Saginaw Spirit will take a few weeks off before gearing up to compete against the CHL’s best in this year’s Memorial Cup as the hosting team. The tournament will be Bloom’s final kick at the Junior-level can, as he’ll officially age out and begin his second attempt at pro hockey in 2024-25.

Josh had cooled off substantially down the stretch, managing just one goal and two points over his last ten games. The dropoff came after a remarkable stretch that saw him score 38 points across the previous 24 games.

More than anything I think his mental maturity held him back at the AHL level this past year. A year older mentally and physically can do wonders for many young players. Each individual attains their adult maturity at their own pace and it is not a uniform thing. Lets see what he looks like in development camp and the prospects tourney this summer and note if there is any progression in his approach to the game.

+

• Cheers 1