Jump to content

A new global crisis has emerged


Ghost In a Jar

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

have the boomers got bored of picking on Millennials or something? 

Never. It gives their lead-destroyed brains something to do. 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Every generation blames the one before 

And all of their frustrations, come beating at your door 

 

I know that I'm a prisoner to all that my father held so dear 

I know that I'm a hostage to all his hopes and fears 

I wish I could have told him in the living years 

 

You say that you don't see it 

He says it's perfect sense 

You just can't get agreement

In the present tense 

We all talk a different language 

Talking in defence 

 

So we open up a quarrel

Between the present and the past 

We only sacrifice the future 

It's the bitterness that lasts "

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ghost In a Jar said:

My wife has always been ahead of the curve, instructing in the engineering department at the Royal Military College, clerking at the Supreme Court, and now this...she literally needs to see the menu about a day and a half before we go anywhere so that she can pick "red balloon or blue balloon" (as i call it) and even then she will sometimes go rogue while the waiter is standing there and ask for five more minutes. 

  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

My wife has always been ahead of the curve, instructing in the engineering department at the Royal Military College, clerking at the Supreme Court, and now this...she literally needs to see the menu about a day and a half before we go anywhere so that she can pick "red balloon or blue balloon" (as i call it) and even then she will sometimes go rogue while the waiter is standing there and ask for five more minutes. 

 

You're lucky, I have to walk the minefield of "what do you want" followed by "are you sure you want that" 🤣

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few notes:

 

1. The study states that 67% of all respondents had menu anxiety, compared to 86% of GenZ'ers.  Statistically speaking, that's likely > 50% of other respondents (ie. non GenZ'ers), so I'm not sure how that makes things so much more glorified for the older generations.

 

2. I'm certain that if this survey were done 20 years ago, the GenX'ers would probably come in at similar figures as the GenZ'ers.  Ergo - it's likely not a generation-specific issue.

 

2.1 With many being at the start of their careers or still reliant on support from their parents, GenZ'ers are likely to have less disposable income to spend on dining out, so I don't doubt that's one of the driving factors.  Other generations likely faced the same when they were young.

 

2.2 GenZ'ers are also only starting to hit that age where dining out isn't just with their parents, but they can do it as a social thing with their friends.  Handling these relatively novel social situaitons probably factors into the anxiety.  I'm sure this is also shared by older generationed folks who don't often eat out.

 

3. Damn rights I look at the menu before going to the restaurant.  How the fuck else am I supposed to know what to choose for take out when I order over the phone?  :classic_rolleyes:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

In all seriousness though, I think the "issue" is a nothing burger.

 

As a survey, it's lacking a longitudinal comparison from previous generations when they were that age.

 

As a concern, it's an "issue" that spans different generations in varying degrees (ie. GenX'ers and Baby Boomers are also facing the same anxieties at a rate > 50% as well).

 

If it's meant to paint the younger generation as somehow being less decisive or unable to handle "decision making", that's been a feature of every generation as they pass through that phase of life from unencumbered youth to young adulthood.

 

They'll do fine as they grow older and capture more social experience.

 

Spoiler

eb4.jpg

TL;DR: the article is just a bunch of alarmist tripe.  :picard:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In all seriousness though, I think the "issue" is a nothing burger.

 

As a survey, it's lacking a longitudinal comparison from previous generations when they were that age.

 

As a concern, it's an "issue" that spans different generations in varying degrees (ie. GenX'ers and Baby Boomers are also facing the same anxieties at a rate > 50% as well).

 

If it's meant to paint the younger generation as somehow being less decisive or unable to handle "decision making", that's been a feature of every generation as they pass through that phase of life from unencumbered youth to young adulthood.

 

They'll do fine as they grow older and capture more social experience.

 

  Reveal hidden contents

eb4.jpg

TL;DR: the article is just a bunch of alarmist tripe.  :picard:

 

it certainly is nothing to get excited about, just an interesting factoid. You seem to think it is malicious though?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

it certainly is nothing to get excited about, just an interesting factoid. You seem to think it is malicious though?

 

The article certainly does raise questions about intention.  I don't think it serves any meaningful purpose, unless there was some sort of motive involved - but far be it from me to try to sniff out that motive, as I've got more important things, like navigating menus, to attend to.  :hurhur:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It could also be that younger people are just more open to talking about their anxiety since these days it's all about inclusion.

 

There are so many other factors that could be at play here not even considered. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

IMG_3605.jpeg

 

Parent: "Ok kid, what do you want?"

Kid: "I DON'T KNOW!"

Parent: "So you want a bagel dog then?"

Kid: "I DON'T CARE!"

Parent: "Ok, and a half a sandwich..."
Kid: "I'M NOT HUNGRY!"

Parent: "....but that's just mac and cheese...?"

Kid: "I DON'T WANT THAT!"

Parent: "You gotta pick something, kid"

Kid: "I'D RATHER STARVE!"

Parent: "You know what kids who starve look like? Let me show you..."
Kid: "Eeeeeeew!!!"

Cashier: "That'll be $23.75 please... Did you want a bag to carry all that?"

Parent: ??!?!?!?!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...