So we open up a quarrel

Between the present and the past 

We only sacrifice the future 

It's the bitterness that lasts "

Edited by Ilunga
  • Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Ghost In a Jar said:

My wife has always been ahead of the curve, instructing in the engineering department at the Royal Military College, clerking at the Supreme Court, and now this...she literally needs to see the menu about a day and a half before we go anywhere so that she can pick "red balloon or blue balloon" (as i call it) and even then she will sometimes go rogue while the waiter is standing there and ask for five more minutes. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

My wife has always been ahead of the curve, instructing in the engineering department at the Royal Military College, clerking at the Supreme Court, and now this...she literally needs to see the menu about a day and a half before we go anywhere so that she can pick "red balloon or blue balloon" (as i call it) and even then she will sometimes go rogue while the waiter is standing there and ask for five more minutes. 

You're lucky, I have to walk the minefield of "what do you want" followed by "are you sure you want that" 🤣

• Haha 3

A few notes:

1. The study states that 67% of all respondents had menu anxiety, compared to 86% of GenZ'ers.  Statistically speaking, that's likely > 50% of other respondents (ie. non GenZ'ers), so I'm not sure how that makes things so much more glorified for the older generations.

2. I'm certain that if this survey were done 20 years ago, the GenX'ers would probably come in at similar figures as the GenZ'ers.  Ergo - it's likely not a generation-specific issue.

2.1 With many being at the start of their careers or still reliant on support from their parents, GenZ'ers are likely to have less disposable income to spend on dining out, so I don't doubt that's one of the driving factors.  Other generations likely faced the same when they were young.

2.2 GenZ'ers are also only starting to hit that age where dining out isn't just with their parents, but they can do it as a social thing with their friends.  Handling these relatively novel social situaitons probably factors into the anxiety.  I'm sure this is also shared by older generationed folks who don't often eat out.

3. Damn rights I look at the menu before going to the restaurant.  How the fuck else am I supposed to know what to choose for take out when I order over the phone?  :classic_rolleyes:

In all seriousness though, I think the "issue" is a nothing burger.

As a survey, it's lacking a longitudinal comparison from previous generations when they were that age.

As a concern, it's an "issue" that spans different generations in varying degrees (ie. GenX'ers and Baby Boomers are also facing the same anxieties at a rate > 50% as well).

If it's meant to paint the younger generation as somehow being less decisive or unable to handle "decision making", that's been a feature of every generation as they pass through that phase of life from unencumbered youth to young adulthood.

They'll do fine as they grow older and capture more social experience.

Spoiler

eb4.jpg

TL;DR: the article is just a bunch of alarmist tripe.  :picard:

1 hour ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

In all seriousness though, I think the "issue" is a nothing burger.

As a survey, it's lacking a longitudinal comparison from previous generations when they were that age.

As a concern, it's an "issue" that spans different generations in varying degrees (ie. GenX'ers and Baby Boomers are also facing the same anxieties at a rate > 50% as well).

If it's meant to paint the younger generation as somehow being less decisive or unable to handle "decision making", that's been a feature of every generation as they pass through that phase of life from unencumbered youth to young adulthood.

They'll do fine as they grow older and capture more social experience.

Reveal hidden contents

eb4.jpg

TL;DR: the article is just a bunch of alarmist tripe.  :picard:

it certainly is nothing to get excited about, just an interesting factoid. You seem to think it is malicious though?

47 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

it certainly is nothing to get excited about, just an interesting factoid. You seem to think it is malicious though?

The article certainly does raise questions about intention.  I don't think it serves any meaningful purpose, unless there was some sort of motive involved - but far be it from me to try to sniff out that motive, as I've got more important things, like navigating menus, to attend to.  :hurhur:

• Haha 1

It could also be that younger people are just more open to talking about their anxiety since these days it's all about inclusion.

There are so many other factors that could be at play here not even considered. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bounce000 said:

IMG_3605.jpeg

Parent: "Ok kid, what do you want?"

Kid: "I DON'T KNOW!"

Parent: "So you want a bagel dog then?"

Kid: "I DON'T CARE!"

Parent: "Ok, and a half a sandwich..."
Kid: "I'M NOT HUNGRY!"

Parent: "....but that's just mac and cheese...?"

Kid: "I DON'T WANT THAT!"