[Proposal] Inter-division Blockbuster

The Canucks window to win might be very brief. Is this the one year they can go for it, all in?  

After this season, Pettersson and Hronek are RFAs and need to be re-signed (big raises I'm guessing)

Then there's having to try and re-sign UFAs Joshua, Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov, Cole and DeSmith. 

I don't think the Canucks can afford to keep half of these guys. OEL's $2.3 million will also impact their cap. 

I'd say, considering they've been rolling since Game 1, and at the Christmas break they're #1 in the league - they should go all in and try to win the Cup. 

I'm a huge Lindholm fan and I think that when he's on his game, he's borderline Selke level. This is a lot to give up for him and I do find myself wondering if we could offer less to get it done, but maybe it would require this much.

I also have a feeling he might command more than $7M given his defensive profficiency. I could see him commanding in the high $7M range, closer to $7.8M or so. It would also be a long-term deal, which is always a bit scary with a 29-year old.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to this deal, but I would be at leat a little apprehensive. In the short term, it would almost certainly put us into contender status though.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I'm a huge Lindholm fan and I think that when he's on his game, he's borderline Selke level. This is a lot to give up for him and I do find myself wondering if we could offer less to get it done, but maybe it would require this much.

I also have a feeling he might command more than $7M given his defensive profficiency. I could see him commanding in the high $7M range, closer to $7.8M or so. It would also be a long-term deal, which is always a bit scary with a 29-year old.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to this deal, but I would be at leat a little apprehensive. In the short term, it would almost certainly put us into contender status though.

This was very impressed with him the two games I saw in Calgary this year, I watch Calgary often enough and knew he's a good player. However, being there in person and isolating him on his line was real impressed how responsible he is and the little things he does away from the puck as well. The standouts for me were him, Backlund and Pospisil at least those 2 games. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

Lindholm would be a nice addition but it is too high a price to pay.  I would be OK with sending two out of the three pieces you proposed the other way, but not all three.  I also don't mind standing pat.  I still think that Kuzmenko has some potential and we don't really know what we have with Raty yet.  I don't really know what is going on behind the scenes but I'm guessing that it isn't nearly as dramatic as the press wants to make it out to be.  GCG!

Edited by nux_win
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, HKSR said:

@Bob Long gave me this idea with talking about Petey playing perimeter instead of down the middle of the ice.  I think we get another centre and move Petey to the wing to play like Stone/Marner.

To VAN:

Elias Lindholm

To CAL:

Andrei Kuzmenko

Aatu Raty

1st Round Pick

VAN does this to solidify the 2nd line.  Allows Petey to play the wing, which is where he has naturally played throughout his entire career before arriving in Vancouver.  Lindholm is a fantastic 2-way centre already, so having him with Petey and Mikheyev would make for an extremely capable 2-way line to complement the shutdown ability of Miller's line.

I think we could re-sign Lindholm to a $7M AAV deal.  He's about a 70 point player.

CAL does this as Zary has clearly come into his own.  With Kadri and Zary down the middle and Backlund on the 3rd line, Lindholm is no longer needed.  Instead they add firepower to the wing in Kuzmenko, and pickup a centre prospect for the pipeline.  They also acquire a 1st round pick out of the deal.

Canucks lines after this:

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Lindholm-Petey

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Aman-Suter-Lafferty

image.thumb.png.5fc1ac590c63b23329d783bcee7cb7be.png

I'm not the biggest fan of this deal.  

Lindholm is 29 and there would be too big of a risk of him walking at season's end.....especially for what we'd have to give up.  

While Raty likely won't be a superstar at the NHL level, he looks like he could be a legit replacement for someone like Bluegar should we need a bit of cap space.  I'm also not a fan of giving up a 2024 1st.  We saw too many 1sts and picks being moved during the Benning and Gillis era.  Jim Rutherford, all psychopathic and Adolf Hitler-esque behaviour towards Bruce Boudreau aside, has done a really good job of replenishing the prospect pool and creating organizational structure.  I for one am looking forward to seeing guys like Raty, Podkolzin, Hirose, Lekkerimaki, and Silovs step into the line-up one day and make a significant impact.....similar to around 08/09 when we saw guys like Burrows, Hansen, Raymond, and Kesler really emerge.  

30 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I highly doubt that a world like that exists.  You'd be looking at something similar to a JT Miller deal and we already have some cap bumps ahead of us (i.e. OEL's buyout will peak in a few seasons).  

If that's the case I wouldn't be down for this trade. We need Raty to hit for cheap labour when our team is at its peak. I only support this trade if it comes with a team friendly deal.

• Upvote 1

Not sure we need 3 first line centers...

When we look at our team structure, we've got Miller (one of the best centers in the league this year), Petey (one of the best centers in the league this year), Blueger, Suter and Aman who started slow but are now to a degree carrying some offence as well. We've got some great centers. If we wanted, we could target a Roslovic/Zacha-like 3C who can contribute a bit more offence, but I don't think Tocchet likes that style of play - he wants his top-6 scoring and his bottom-6 defending well, but it's nice when they both do the opposite too.

Sure we could throw Petey to the wing but he's so good defensively that his two-way game would be sort of lost on the wing. If anything, we could use a star top-6 winger (eg. Nylander) to play with Petey.

If we're targeting Calgary though I'd go for a top young defenceman. With Cole and Myers up in the air next season and heck maybe even Zadorov, go in for their stud Hanifin to take some big defensive minutes off Hughes.

Kuzmenko + defensive prospect (one of our last year draftees who's killing it, or heck even D. Petey) + 1st or 2nd-3rd later on for Hanifin

Hughes - Hronek

Hanifin - Zadorov

Cole - Myers

Soucy

Obviously next year we lose some of those veterans but with a core revolving around Hughes, Hronek and Hanifin, we're perennial contenders for the next 5 years.

As for those who want to whinge about re-signing the lot of them, if we let Cole and Myers go that's just under 10M right there. I'd focus on 7M for Hanifin and Hronek and 10M for Petey and we may need to sell off Garland to make it work. Defence-heavy but that's how championships are won.