Gretzky and the Canucks

Theo5789

》edit:

2 different deals

close edit《

It wasn't Gretzky who nixed the deal, it was Brian Burke .......

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/how-a-gretzky-trade-to-canucks-would-have-destroyed-the-nhl-3570398#:~:text=On August 9%2C 1988%2C the,said no to the deal.

Heres the interview referred to:

Edited by Googlie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

SKRIKO - GRETZKY - SMYL

ROTA - SUNDSTROM - TANTI

TIGER - GRADIN - GREG ADAMS

RICH SUTTER - BARRY PEDERSON - SANDLAK

I can picture a Cup with that lineup.

We already traded Sundström for Greg Adams. 

Tiger Williams last played for us in 84 and retired from the Whalers that same off season.

Darcy Rota retired in 1984.

Barry Pederson was, well over the hill at that time.

Our defense in the 88-89 was still extremely suspect and would be a couple years before it got decent. Maybe we can win a round with Gretzky in 88-89 but I doubt we win it all.

Edited by canuckster19

Gretzky was traded in the summer of 1988.  That was the year we drafted Trevor Linden.  He was traded in August so the 3 first round picks would have started in 1989.

Our team wouldn't have been that great to begin with, but if you follow the trade and draft history, then we would have had Bure, Courtnall, Momesso and Ronning (from the Butcher trade).  Nedved was drafted in 1990 so we wouldn't have had that pick, so no Jeff Brown, Hedican and Lafayette.

Obviously, we would have missed Mclean and Adams, but we would have had Gretzky, Bure and Linden up front along with Courtnall, Ronning, Gelinas, Momesso and Craven.  Odjick, Antoski, Mcintyre and Hunter on the 4th line.  Our defence would not have been as good, only Murzyn, Lumme, Diduck and Babych.  But I am sure Quinn could have made more trades to get another goalie and more Dmen.

Courtnall      Gretzky       Bure

Craven         Linden

Momesso    Ronning       Gelinas

Antoski        McIntyre      Hunter

Murzyn    Lumme

Babych     Diduck

We would have had a depleted squad for 1994 with no 1st round picks for 3 years to make more trades.  But it would have been fun to watch Bure and Gretzky together.  I don't think Gretzky wins the scoring titles when he comes as its 1988 and Bure isn't around yet though.  At the end of the day, he was better off in LA...

2 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

We already traded Sundström for Greg Adams. 

Tiger Williams last played for us in 84 and retired from the Whalers that same off season.

Darcy Rota retired in 1984.

Barry Pederson was, well over the hill at that time.

Our defense in the 88-89 was still extremely suspect and would be a couple years before it got decent. Maybe we can win a round with Gretzky in 88-89 but I doubt we win it all.

I forgot about the Sundstrom for Adams trade but Tiger played until 1988.  Rota retired suddenly due to injury.  Acquiring Gretzky wouldn't have prevented that from happening I imagine but I couldn't remember if he at least had a year after Gretzky's first Cup.  Barry Pederson was still highly effective through to 1988 and played until 1992.

Our defense in 1989 was pretty solid.  Reinhart, Butcher, Lidster, Snepsts off the top of my head.  Benning, Melnyk and Nordmark were fine.  Everything but a Hall of Fame scoring star really and Reinhart wasn't that far off.

Edited by Kevin Biestra