Workout/Fitness/Nutrition/Health thread

Shift-4

I'm currently 40 lbs lighter than my max-post concussion weight.

Was well on my way to being in a shape that wasn't round, then the personal/family life events wiped me out for a bit.

Now, after a month or so off;  I'm back on the stationary bike, for 20 minutes at 90 rpm, 3 or 4 times a week.

I have 2 sets of barbells- 1 at 15lbs for curls- both arm flat and thumbs up. then 10lbs for shoulder press/over head.- This is pushing my right shoulder and a previous injury-took months for me to be able to get that right arm into "hands cuffed behind the back" position without large pain.

End of this month I intend to go from 'playing around' with the weights to a more serious regime.

Since I've vastly reduced my meat intake--looking @bishopshodan-- I decided to try a plant based protein powder.

Stuff looks like ovaltine or chocolate powder- to the point I'd love to see a trusted laboratory do a proper breakdown on those ingredients.

Hoping that it is the same stuff, but does have all the healthy stuff it claims- could save some money buying 'chocolate powder rather than " Super Duper Plant Based, Invigorating Protein Powder ,For Health And Fitness"

Gotta be cheaper- just for the costs of the ink on the label, at the least.

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Was well on my way to being in a shape that wasn't round, then the personal/family life events wiped me out for a bit.

Now, after a month or so off;  I'm back on the stationary bike, for 20 minutes at 90 rpm, 3 or 4 times a week.

I have 2 sets of barbells- 1 at 15lbs for curls- both arm flat and thumbs up. then 10lbs for shoulder press/over head.- This is pushing my right shoulder and a previous injury-took months for me to be able to get that right arm into "hands cuffed behind the back" position without large pain.

End of this month I intend to go from 'playing around' with the weights to a more serious regime.

Since I've vastly reduced my meat intake--looking @bishopshodan-- I decided to try a plant based protein powder.

Stuff looks like ovaltine or chocolate powder- to the point I'd love to see a trusted laboratory do a proper breakdown on those ingredients.

Hoping that it is the same stuff, but does have all the healthy stuff it claims- could save some money buying 'chocolate powder rather than " Super Duper Plant Based, Invigorating Protein Powder ,For Health And Fitness"

• Cheers 1

On 4/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, Gurn said:

I had the complete opposite after all my concussions.  Gained 40 pounds.  I have not been able to go to the gym in about 18 months now as I had a hairline fracture of my ribs.  And now getting horrible concussion symptoms again.  My neck is in rough shape again.  Last major concussion included some twisted vertabre in my neck.  The worse my neck gets the dizzier I get.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2024 at 3:15 PM, runningback33 said:

Down 8lbs…been waking up and doing my workouts at 5am 

Great work my friend!

This is what I wish I could do.

Stress at work (aka sleepless nights) and hockey schedule (playing and watching) really make this a challenge.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

Great work my friend!

This is what I wish I could do.

Stress at work (aka sleepless nights) and hockey schedule (playing and watching) really make this a challenge.

Yes I feel great but I gotta stop weighing myself multiple times a day, probably best to just weigh early morning when I wake up

• Upvote 2

On 4/7/2024 at 1:00 PM, Gurn said:

Congrats buddy! And very sorry to hear about your concussion!! I’m two years into my recovery, hmu if you ever wanna share your journey!! It’s a weird club to be in that folks who haven’t experienced don’t totally understand.  Keep up the great work!!

• Cheers 3

37 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Yes I feel great but I gotta stop weighing myself multiple times a day, probably best to just weigh early morning when I wake up

I weigh in a couple of times a week, I found daily to be too 'yo-yo' ish. 

I'd be like "ohh crap I'm up 3 pounds" and feel like I wasn't achieving anything.

But I did keep track, and began to see that week after week I was getting lighter, and in better shape.

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2024 at 5:38 PM, runningback33 said:

Weight can fluctuate 5-6 pounds from day to day depending on what you eat or your bathroom habits.

When I was in my early 20's I lost almost 90 pounds.  I was fanatical about to it being a point of it being an eating disorder.

I would weigh myself 20 times a day even when I woke up in the middle of the night.

I am 6'1 with a large bone structure.

I got to be way too skinny and went down to 159 pounds at one point.even though I was going to the gym everyday and running.

The turning for me was when a lady I liked said I was way to skinny  and would not go out with me..

That sealed the deal for me.

It actually took awhile to gain weight back even though I was eating for 3 lol

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2024 at 6:38 PM, runningback33 said:

That's the trick, stay with the first thing in the morning and eventually reduce to a couple times a week.

• Upvote 1

Missed a week due to illness. 
Got back at it yesterday and didn't need to backtrack on weight. Feel pretty good about that.

• Cheers 2

• 2 weeks later...