Workout/Fitness/Nutrition/Health thread

Shift-4

Right now I'm a bit in recovery mode. Had bad inflammation in my shoulder all summer. Back to low weight strength training. Able to play hockey again. It's kind of a cool place to be because I should see some solid growth. Just gotta be patient and not push shoulder too fast.

• Cheers 2

3 days of weights a week. Legs, chest/back, arms/shoulders.

mobility 2 times a week on average, but sometimes replace 1 with boxing or HIIT.

Each workout starts with 15-30 on the spin bike and ends with 5-10 core strength.

2 days of rest are built in because twice a week I work 8am-7pm between my clinical practice and teaching at a college, ain't doing anything outside walking my dogs. Speaking of, I shoot for 7k steps a day bare minimum but the real goal is 10k a day.

After way to many years of slacking due to having a phaycial job I made a home gym and started taking the advice I give to my patients every day.

PXL_20230720_1731508382.thumb.jpg.238b44240a2e54331b1ba1c7c320b2a3.jpg

these were my results after 1 year of taking my own advice seriously.

• Cheers 3

I think its called the bro-split.

I do..

Mon - chest and core

Tues - legs and 5k run

Wed - back and shoulders

Thurs - 5k run+ ( try to fit in some wind sprints)

Fri - arms and core

Sat- rest and/or light day, try to be a bit active still, hit the heavy bag in the garage etc...

Sun- 10k trail run. Slow run with a buddy where we chat and catch up. 

Medium wieghts, 15ish reps per set, min 4 sets.

Stretch everyday, love using a foam roller for my back. 

Daily 1 hour min.dog walk

I focus less on martial arts these days and more on exercise and diet. I am also a vegetarian that now rarely drinks. 

I am 49 yrs old , 5'11, 185lbs. I am really finding a nice balance. A lot has to do with diet and consistency. I dont always push hard but I always show up. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

5 days of workout,4 of those with 25 minutes of stairs or running

Meal prep/ planning with a cheat day on Saturday

Went from a fat alcholic to "ripped" in 6 months 

Had the motivation in the beginning and stuck with it. Will cut in the spring to look my best in the summer 🙂

addicted to the lifestyle

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Reviving this thread from it's CDC days (Edit: turns out it already existed way back in White Noise).

I'll start with a mini-rant pet peeve of mine that's sort of related to health:

I'm a pretty small guy--5'8" if you're being generous. I've been to the gym on and off over the years, but never a consistent goer, and I would've described my build as average size (for my height) at best. As I approached my late 20s and now early 30s, I gained some weight and was surpassing 150lbs. Based on both BMI charts (which I figured would be reasonably accurate as an average build guy) as well as some other metrics likes waist-to-hip ratio, I was still a healthy weight, but maybe only 7 or 8 pounds away from entering the "overweight" category.

Despite this, you would not believe how often people, especially heavier people, and even moreso large men, would call me "skinny" or comment on how I needed "more meat on my bones". They might hear that I was a few pounds over 150 and tell me I should bulk up to 165. Heaven forbid I tell them I was thinking of losing a few pounds. People, especially bigger people, seem to have no grasp on reality with regards to what a healthy weight for a small man is. If any of the rest of you are smaller men, have you experienced this as well?

I've recently been cutting out most of my snacking and am proud to say I've dropped about 7 pounds and am quite happy with my weight now, yet I know a lot of people would think it preposterous that I thought to lose weight. My feeling is that they are afraid to recognize that losing a few pounds is okay for me, because if it's okay for me, someone who's only on the higher end of healthy fat percentages, then they may have to realize the harsh truth of how seriously they need to lose some weight. Just my suspicions though.

• Cheers 1

Garlund? is that you? Garly?

I wouldnt worry about what anyone else thinks. If you want to lose lbs, do it.

Its not like you are getting in fight matches or having to defend someone's honor these days.

When you are happy with yourself it goes further than when others are happy with you.

Weight is just a number, and an overrated one at that.
Physical fitness goals have way more important metrics to follow, kind of like the phrase “nice body but what can you do with it?” for beach muscle types that can’t put their arms down by their sides. 

optimal weight is different for most people depending on what you want to achieve - speed? power? strength? explosiveness? Probably a combination of each to varying degrees. 

Myself I am 5”11 and 180 ibs. I would prefer to be 170-5  as I am not shredded. During covid I peaked at 190 from binging craft beers and its been a struggle to stay in the 70s ever since, though my overall diet could use some work. Knee injury doesn't help either. 

• Upvote 1

I really enjoy eating, and I put on 7 pounds since the end of November. I don't really gain weight, but that did it. 

I've been walking an hour a day and it's great.

I've been thinking about hot yoga again. I walk by the hot yoga place on my way to get pizza, and then I think how I felt about hot pilates, which was not for me with all that exercise. If I decide to join hot yoga again, I am going to start with the easy classes. 

I will see how walking goes. There's great parks and nature trails near by. 

It sounds like your fitness goals aren't to add bulk. That's fine! Whatever your fitness goal is, train for that and stay healthy.

Many guys are training to add mass and so they tend to think that's the same goal every other guy has. It has nothing to do with you. People just see the world through their own perspective. Train for whatever body feels good to you.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, KristoffWixenschon said:

It sounds like your fitness goals aren't to add bulk. That's fine! Whatever your fitness goal is, train for that and stay healthy.

Many guys are training to add mass and so they tend to think that's the same goal every other guy has. It has nothing to do with you. People just see the world through their own perspective. Train for whatever body feels good to you.

Yeah, getting big and muscular is fine by me, but I'm more focused on being healthy than being anything else. I decided that meant losing a few pounds to lose some fat. I still weightlift at the gym and maintain decent strength there, so I'm also not concerned about my strength.

• Upvote 1

@-AJ-  Had it covered awhile ago but thread got buried to last page in White Noise

And damn it I need to become a hell of a lot more disciplined. Got back on track then a flu wiped me out in December. Hitting the beach in 38 days. Hmmmm

• Thanks 1

Also @-AJ-   To hell with what others think. Fitness is a personal goal. It sounds like you are doing great! I'm at least two inches taller than you and would be quite happy to get DOWN to 165 lol

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

My ex had the same issue with people thinking he needed to be "bigger"/put on weight and calling him skinny. Yet he was super active and the best at all the sports he did...soccer, hockey, skiing, water skiing. He was in good shape and took care of himself but people still did the same....called him "skinny". He had a bit of a complex over it.

I worked out my entire life since I was 12 but hit some bumps in the road as illness/injury factored in over time. I always eased back in to where I was but recently had to change my way of thinking...used to be super high intensity/all in and I've settled recently for a different routine that's more suited to where I am now. At first, it felt more like a failure to have to adjust things and I was inclined to just not do anything. But that's ridiculous and modifying things is part of the deal for me now...learning what I can/can't do by listening to my body. Thing is, working out is for health not style or to impress others or meet a certain threshold that they impose on us (or even that we do ourselves). Keep it positive and be happy that you're active.

Just do you. The meatheads who'll try to weigh in are often insecure about themselves and projecting that onto you. Cheers to drowning out the "input".

• Cheers 2