[Proposal] Corey Perry - Would you?

Corey Perry is now eligible to be signed as a free agent. Assuming he would be signed for less than $1.5M (pro-rated), would you take a flyer and add him?

Yes, has warts and there is the Chicago incident to factor in. However, a proven performer and I would add that would have something to prove over the balance of this season on a "show me" contract.

Pros: short leash, can be instantly buried in the minors on a waiver if things don't go as planned, could pan out as a impact winger for no assets other than cash, brings it in the playoffs

Cons: old, possible distraction, not a good fit on the team, <insert your own>

I would on a low-risk contract and while I am spending Aquaman's money I think there are the coaches to put a very short leash on him and team mates to hold him accountable. Low-Risk - High Reward ... I would say yes (tentatively).

Meanwhile, look for upgrades as per usual. 

EDIT: Mods: please move / merge, noticed is in wrong forum.

EDIT 2: 23/23 means a contract has to be off the roster so I would assume (if I am correct) that someone like Karlsson would go down. So the other question would be is Perry > Karlsson right now. 

Edited by Rocket-68

• Rocket-68 changed the title to [Proposal] Corey Perry - Would you?

I'm not confident he'd be an upgrade on any of our players and there's a very real risk he could damage our locker room atmosphere, given how he left Chicago. I wouldn't take the chance. Even for league minimum it wouldn't be worth it to me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

100% I'd bring him in.. for his snarl, truculence, size,  experience etc etc etc 

He got drunk did some stupid stuff. He's gone for counseling and dealt with his problems.. 

He'll want to prove him self and be on his best behavior for his legacy's sake. Being a experienced veteran and leader he can contribute to a deep playoff run. 

You don't win the Cup with a bunch of nice guys. You need some SOBs and he's a big SOB. 

Sign him up. I'll pick him up from the airport.. 

He's also apparently great in the room and players love him. People deserve second chances. I'm in. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

iirc, drunk and domestic abuse, or something like that.

Did not know that, doesn't change my view of him other than good for him for turning it around and whatever was in his past, I do wish him the best that it stays there. We all have skeletons in the closet, some are just a lot fuller than others. The footsteps that are yet to be made are much more important than the ones that have made our path to date - it is the path to be followed that is the important part.

For some reason the name Craig MacTavish comes to mind, and no not a parallel to DeSmith in any way.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

Did not know that, doesn't change my view of him other than good for him for turning it around and whatever was in his past, I do wish him the best that it stays there. We all have skeletons in the closet, some are just a lot fuller than others. The footsteps that are yet to be made are much more important than the ones that have made our path to date - it is the path to be followed that is the important part.

I’ll add that it’s possible for people to be in toxic situations and not react well. Particularly when young. Takes two to tango . 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Jester13 said:

Petey - Miller - Boeser

Kuz - Suter - Mik

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Hogs - Laff - Perry

Aman/PDG

That is a pretty greasy and skilled 4th line.

• Cheers 2

Perry's a bit of a goalie nightmare, isn't he? Have to admit, it's been a while since I paid attention to Perry's game, but I recall him creating havoc in front, and getting a lot of goals that way. Playoff performer. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Nucker67 said:

Perry's a bit of a goalie nightmare, isn't he? Have to admit, it's been a while since I paid attention to Perry's game, but I recall him creating havoc in front, and getting a lot of goals that way. Playoff performer. 

As previously mentioned, he’ll be hungry to make a good showing. 

6 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

A bit like Dave Andreychuk who got the majority of his goals within 8 feet of the net ... read somewhere he was know as Grease for the garbage goals he [DA] would collect. Perry arguably was more skilled (yes, DA had about 200 more goals) and meaner but still, like DA, was not afraid to stand in the blue paint and take a beating in order to score.

Edited by Rocket-68

1 minute ago, Rocket-68 said:

A bit like Dave Andreychuk who got the majority of his goals within 8 feet of the net ... read somewhere he was know as Grease for the garbage goals he [DA] would collect. Perry arguably was more skilled and meaner but still, like DA, was not afraid to stand in the blue paint and take a beating in order to score.

Hronek…

” Hold my beer”.

• Haha 1