How bad is TSN?

Bad. I'm SOOOOO sick of going on there and having to sift through 80% Leafs information to try to find a shred on any other team in the league - let alone anything on the other Canadian teams specifically. He's a screenshot of the live TSN website right now:

image.thumb.png.19dbbd65988a15d9418bde359974964e.png

12 articles in the screenshot, and only 2 don't involve the Leafs directly.

All this, while the Leafs are barely in the cup conversation. Meanwhile, the Jets and Canucks lead the league; two Canadian teams at the top which hasn't happened... well... FORVER. Yet, no coverage. 

This is beyond pathetic. This isn't The Sports Network. They might as well just rename themselves TLN. 

Edited by Reznor
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Reznor said:

Bad. I'm SOOOOO sick of going on there and having to sift through 80% Leafs information to try to find a shred on any other team in the league - let alone anything on the other Canadian teams specifically. He's a screenshot of the live TSN website right now:

image.thumb.png.19dbbd65988a15d9418bde359974964e.png

12 articles in the screenshot, and only 2 don't involve the Leafs directly.

All this, while the Leafs are barely in the cup conversation. Meanwhile, the Jets and Canucks lead the league; two Canadian teams at the top which hasn't happened... well... FORVER. Yet, no coverage. 

This is beyond pathetic. This isn't The Sports Network. They might as well just rename themselves TLN. 

Forget TSN. Sportsnet, while it has its warts, is far better. 

• Cheers 3

Im enjoying ignoring the NEXT (28 minutes after this post) article about 70 goals will earn the maple leafs sharp shooter the hart trophy automatically.  All i can do is say WTF.  But since its arrival it was better to the Toronto Sports Network giving us highlights all day then waiting for 11pm for our half an hour of sports. 

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

I haven't paid attention to TSN for about 10 years. Why does anyone watching hockey outside of Toronto even look at anything they do?

I purchase one month subscription each year to get World Juniors and that is it.

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I haven't paid attention to TSN for about 10 years. Why does anyone watching hockey outside of Toronto even look at anything they do?

I gave up on TSN when they would hide any events I wanted to watch on TSN2, etc.

8 minutes ago, Rounoush said:

Purely as an observation, I'm surprised TSN is still around. They barely air any actual sports content and still manage to keep 5 channels on the air as well.

CFL, NFL, and CFB, plus international hockey.

1 minute ago, Rounoush said:

I also just checked their numbers and they do very well for themselves. 

Guess TSN doesn't need to change a damn thing.

Sportsnet went all in on the NHL deal and it didn't pay off.  Other than Canucks games, I'm pretty much exclusively tuning into TSN these days.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's a wild take.  I imagine you use cable to watch the games.  You would not be saying that if you used the app.

Sportsnet is trash.  The worst thing that could've happened for Canadians watching hockey was when Rogers got a near monopoly on NHL broadcasting rights.  Thankfully it's been a total bust (they've bled billions on the deal) and won't have such exclusivity in the future.

Just curious, @Reznor - why do you use TSN to read hockey news?  You can use the Athletic, The Hockey News, The Hockey Writers, Hockey Buzz... even Twitter or Reddit will give you better and faster news than TSN.

TSN doesn't write Canucks articles because Canucks fans don't read TSN.  To be honest, our fanbase isn't big enough to drive site traffic.  In terms of raw numbers, you can't expect us to beat Toronto in popularity.  Can barely expect any team to beat Toronto in popularity.

2 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Just curious, @Reznor - why do you use TSN to read hockey news?  You can use the Athletic, The Hockey News, The Hockey Writers, Hockey Buzz... even Twitter or Reddit will give you better and faster news than TSN.

TSN doesn't write Canucks articles because Canucks fans don't read TSN.  To be honest, our fanbase isn't big enough to drive site traffic.  In terms of raw numbers, you can't expect us to beat Toronto in popularity.  Can barely expect any team to beat Toronto in popularity.

They also hold the local rights to Laffs games still.  It makes business sense for them to cover them.

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

That's a wild take.  I imagine you use cable to watch the games.  You would not be saying that if you used the app.

Great. Your imagination is incorrect, as is your assumption that I use the app.

6 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Sportsnet is trash.  The worst thing that could've happened for Canadians watching hockey was when Rogers got a near monopoly on NHL broadcasting rights.  Thankfully it's been a total bust (they've bled billions on the deal) and won't have such exclusivity in the future.

Well, I'm talking about the articles that are published on Sportsnet, which was the gist of the original gripe. Not the broadcasts. But keep going...😆

28 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Great. Your imagination is incorrect, as is your assumption that I use the app.

Well, I'm talking about the articles that are published on Sportsnet, which was the gist of the original gripe. Not the broadcasts. But keep going...😆

Do you ever listen to TSN's BarDown podcast?  The staff who work there are from all over and root for various teams across the league.  It's fun not to have such a Leafs-centric podcast full of younger hockey fans.  The only thing close would be Steve Dangle's podcast, which is exclusively Leafs.

So are you saying you do use Sportsnet+ or not?  Because I have had my viewing experience ruined many times by that stupid app.  I'm not going to support their site by reading the articles when it can't even get a streaming app done right.

Do you ever listen to TSN's BarDown podcast?  The staff who work there are from all over and root for various teams across the league.  It's fun not to have such a Leafs-centric podcast full of younger hockey fans.  The only thing close would be Steve Dangle's podcast, which is exclusively Leafs.

So, once again, this is about the coverage as far as articles on their website. Not podcasts or broadcasts.

So are you saying you do use Sportsnet+ or not? 

Articles. Sports journalism.

Because I have had my viewing experience ruined many times by that stupid app.  I'm not going to support their site by reading the articles when it can't even get a streaming app done right.

Great. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So, once again, this is about the coverage as far as articles on their website. Not podcasts or broadcasts.

Articles. Sports journalism.

Great. 

BarDown also writes tons of articles for TSN.  You're being smug about this, but everything I'm saying is still relevant to the subject.  Those same writers will do interviews on TV.  If I don't like the guys I see on TV, I'm sure as hell not going to read their articles. 

BarDown also writes tons of articles for TSN.  You're being smug about this, but everything I'm saying is still relevant to the subject.  Those same writers will do interviews on TV.  If I don't like the guys I see on TV, I'm sure as hell not going to read their articles. 

I don't remember asking your opinion on Sportsnet broadcasts or subscriptions, and certainly could care less about whether you find my responses "smug". But please continue with your diatribe. Get it all out.😆

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I don't remember asking your opinion on Sportsnet broadcasts or subscriptions, and certainly could care less about whether you find my responses "smug". But please continue with your diatribe. Get it all out.😆

Just keep in mind you were awfully vague with your original point.  If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, why bother posting on a forum?

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

14 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Just keep in mind you were awfully vague with your original point.  If you can't handle someone disagreeing with you, why bother posting on a forum?

I have no issue with you disagreeing with me. I could honestly care less. You missed the point, and now are lashing out because I'm not giving you the answers you were hoping for. 

To be clear, and it's pretty clear, the original poster displayed a picture of TSN's front page, where it was nothing but Leafs coverage. Not a broadcast page or podcast page, but the page that featured articles

I responded to the OP stating that Sportsnet had a more balanced array of articles, which is evident. 

I've heard horror stories about Sportsnet's actual broadcasting, freezing up and going dark. That's not good not matter how you slice it. However, I realize that the articles written on Sportsnet are well-written and informative, and nowhere near as Leaf-centric as TSN's articles. 

• Like 1