New Jersey and Vancouver Block Buster (Proposal)

Ok....getting right down to it!

Vancouver trades......................Kuzmenko, Lekkerimaki, 2024 1st

New jersey trades......................John Marino, and Michael McLeod

Ok, we have to get serious, we are in position at this time to actually go far into the playoffs, and need a few adds to put us up to that next notch.......

IMO, New Jersey is prime to trade with and we are offering a blue chip prospect, a past 30+ goal scorer, and a late 1st (we may have to add?????

Marino is a young version of Chris Tanev and still has 3 years after this at $4,400,000 per....very cap controlled player, who can play solid defense.

McLeod is a defensive center, who is a +8 on a not so good defensive team. Not only that but he is Face Off whiz..........drawing at a 65.7 win percentage, but New Jersey is loaded with Face Off guys and McLeod's ice time amongst centers on the team, is 4th most..........behind Hughes, Hischier, and Mercer

We need both, and i think New Jersey would consider it. Maybe we add Raty or McDonough? IMO, it will cost! Maybe we include Myers with retention to give them a RHD vet? I do not know, if it flys, but what do you think?

PS..............I know everyone is high on Lekkerimaki, but we are the highest scoring team in the league, so scoring isn't really a concern.

If New Jersey isn't good defensively, how can New Jersey afford to lose Marino?  Do you remember what happened when we gave up Tanev without replacing him?  WE LOST.  We lost so bad that we got 2 coaches and 1 general manager fired, and one captain traded away.  It took us four whole years to get our blueline in order again.

Now imagine asking New Jersey to go through what we did.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

If New Jersey isn't good defensively, how can New Jersey afford to lose Marino?  Do you remember what happened when we gave up Tanev without replacing him?  WE LOST.  We lost so bad that we got 2 coaches and 1 general manager fired, and one captain traded away.  It took us four whole years to get our blueline in order again.

Now imagine asking New Jersey to go through what we did.

Well, if you look at the team stats, and understand that Hamilton and Nemec will be the starting 2 RHD for the foreseeable future, then I think you could see that Marino might be playing 3rd pairing......and it is not that I disagree completely with you, it is only that New Jersey is deep on RHD. Yes, he is defensive and yes he plays an important role, but we are offering some pretty good players. 

I don't know, maybe we have to over pay....but wouldn't it be worth it? 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

Well, if you look at the team stats, and understand that Hamilton and Nemec will be the starting 2 RHD for the foreseeable future, then I think you could see that Marino might be playing 3rd pairing......and it is not that I disagree completely with you, it is only that New Jersey is deep on RHD. Yes, he is defensive and yes he plays an important role, but we are offering some pretty good players. 

I don't know, maybe we have to over pay....but wouldn't it be worth it? 

It is really hard to forsee anything for New Jersey's defence.  They have been ravaged by individual regression and individual injuries all year.  There hasn't been a consistent pairing on that blueline because defenders keep going in and out.  Luke Hughes hasn't had a main partner all year long, and has literally partnered up with every single defenceman at one point or another this season.

After losing Graves and Severson to free agency, Bahl and Smith were unfairly expected to pick up the slack, and the entire defence core was forced to play in roles they weren't comfortable with.  With Sevo and Graves gone, their primary partners massively regressed.  Siegenthaler regressed  Marino... regressed.  He has generated more offence but has actually not looked his usual self this season.  Devils fans can corroborate the metrics seen here:

image.png.e46eb5516f8eee570a84b2da51f2ea17.png image.png.5cfc5038204a464f89a93b6edcaf488d.png

Now, this actually might support your argument that New Jersey is willing to let some pieces go, but I think they're going to have to re-assess at the offseason and decide what to do.  He's still on contract for another 3 years after this one.  They're in no rush to dump him.

I really wanted Marino in the off-season and was all for a trade to Pittsburgh, and NJD got him fairly cheaply IMO for what he's worth. Now we have Hronek, Cole, Myers and Zadorov who can play on the right. Next season surely we let the veterans Cole and Myers walk and let a kid come up and play on the bottom pairing (most likely Juulsen). Zadorov could probably anchor down the 2RD spot but Marino would be a nice fit, and Zadorov or Soucy can play 2LD.

Maybe then we do a simpler trade revolving around Kuzmenko and Marino. Give them a 1st or defensive prospect in addition if they want? I doubt NJD want more offence and less defence though.

Perhaps Myers + Kuzmenko + 1st for Marino + some depth forward

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really wanted Marino in the off-season and was all for a trade to Pittsburgh, and NJD got him fairly cheaply IMO for what he's worth. Now we have Hronek, Cole, Myers and Zadorov who can play on the right. Next season surely we let the veterans Cole and Myers walk and let a kid come up and play on the bottom pairing (most likely Juulsen). Zadorov could probably anchor down the 2RD spot but Marino would be a nice fit, and Zadorov or Soucy can play 2LD.

Maybe then we do a simpler trade revolving around Kuzmenko and Marino. Give them a 1st or defensive prospect in addition if they want? I doubt NJD want more offence and less defence though.

Perhaps Myers + Kuzmenko + 1st for Marino + some depth forward

Marino would be a great add for next season.  Could solidify our 2nd pair.  

Devils will move UFA’s as soon as they realize they are out of playoff hope,. And hopefully before the TDL .

I’d be interested in Toffoli and Colin Miller as rentals and not have to give away too many shiny pieces, or World class prospects.

The longer New Jersey drives for a Wild Card position ,  the more they may have to lose to UFA’s.