[Waiver claim] Hurricanes pick up Spencer Martin

Happened yesterday but I don't even recall seeing he'd been on waivers, but it seems legit 

Poor Carolina, probably wouldn't have foreseen goaltending being their weakness going into the season

26 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Well, we will know they are in dire straits if they acquire Delia next.

Tru

Martin seems better as a backup, give him a larger workload and he struggles though 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Tru

Martin seems better as a backup, give him a larger workload and he struggles though 

I agree. He can give a team a solid 20 games a year. It wasn’t until he was thrust into the full time gig that he started to struggle. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I agree. He can give a team a solid 20 games a year. It wasn’t until he was thrust into the full time gig that he started to struggle. 

He seems good at coming in and playing well after sitting for stretches too, which could allow him to be a bubble tender for an NHL team

• ThereItIs 1

It's nice to be positive and encouraging and stuff, but Martin has been abysmal in 13 games with Columbus this year. He's 3-8-1 with a 3.65 GAA and a .887 SV%. He isn't going to part the Red Sea and lead the Hurricanes to the Promised Land. Odd that Columbus waived Martin when it's Merzlikins who wants out. That franchise seems like a mess.

Clearly Carolina is desperate for a goalie with ANY NHL experience.......... wait, didn't they sign Halak to a PTO awhile back? Why didn't they sign him? I might be wrong here though.

16 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

It's nice to be positive and encouraging and stuff, but Martin has been abysmal in 13 games with Columbus this year. He's 3-8-1 with a 3.65 GAA and a .887 SV%. He isn't going to part the Red Sea and lead the Hurricanes to the Promised Land. Odd that Columbus waived Martin when it's Merzlikins who wants out. That franchise seems like a mess.

Can't see how it was any dif in Columbus than it was in Vancouver last year. Hurricanes have a better structure so Martin could do better. I wish him well. 

On 1/20/2024 at 6:06 PM, gwarrior said:

Clearly Carolina is desperate for a goalie with ANY NHL experience.......... wait, didn't they sign Halak to a PTO awhile back? Why didn't they sign him? I might be wrong here though.

Halak wanted to stay closer to the Boston area as he and his family live there. And apparently it wasn't worth it for him to move almost 12 hours away to Carolina to play as a 3rd-string (he is looking to be a backup or get semi-starter minutes). Carolina wanted to use the goaltender situation to give Kochetkov more meaningful ice-time instead of him playing in the AHL. Raanta was also still healthy at the time and Andersen was deemed to be not a long-term absentee with his blood clots. Thus it didn't work out to sign Halak. Though ever since they released Halak...

Andersen has remained out. Raanta has been injured, waived, recalled and played poorly. And Kochetkov is now injured too.

I think Halak will sign with a team located a little closer to Boston where he is also REALLY needed so he can get enough playing time to find his game and shake off the rust. IE. teams like New Jersey, Washington, Toronto, Pittsburgh.

• Cheers 1

On 1/20/2024 at 3:52 PM, Coconuts said:

Tru

On 1/20/2024 at 3:57 PM, Snoop Hogg said:

Nah, he sucks rocks. I'm surprised he's still in the NHL. I'd say he's gone after this season.

On 1/20/2024 at 6:42 PM, Curmudgeon said:

In all fairness, half of the NHL goalies wouldn't have a much better record than Martin's in CLB.