Petterson, Boeser and two 1st rounders

New Jersey isn’t going to want to take on all that salary cap space.

While Pettersson is the better center, JH is on a very team friendly contract for the foreseeable future.

They also won’t want to give up a future stud defenceman. Not even for Pettersson, Boeser and 2 first round picks.

This deal heavily favours the Canucks and I would do it in a heartbeat, but New Jersey is too smart to do it.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Snoop Hogg said:

New Jersey isn’t going to want to take on all that salary cap space.

While Pettersson is the better center, JH is on a very team friendly contract for the foreseeable future.

They also won’t want to give up a future stud defenceman. Not even for Pettersson, Boeser and 2 first round picks.

This deal heavily favours the Canucks and I would do it in a heartbeat, but New Jersey is too smart to do it.

Then throw in a Messier rookie card as a sweetener...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, IBatch said:

I'm not horny over the idea of uniting the Hughes brothers.    The trade actually seems pretty fair though.   We'd likely need to take a player of their choosing back to make cap work though, for them.   Or retain on Brock 50%.  

i dunno about fair i'm gonna say it heavily leans towards vancouver. Jack hughes and EP is probably a wash in terms of value assuming EP re-signs with jersey. Jack hughes offensively probably slightly better with a higher ceiling than EP but defensively is weaker and they are both awful at faceoff but Jack's cap hit will offset whatever defensive weakness compared to EP which is likely going to be a 3mil gap. Boeser value isn't all that high.. nor does jersey have a need for him. if i was the gm there's no way in hell i'm trading luke hughes for boeser and 2 1st that's going to be in the mid/middle late round. Jack hughes + Luke hughes would definitely make this team a playoff staple. luke hughes will probably win a norris before quinn will.. very similar playstyle but with a huge size advantage.

2 hours ago, Bobby James said:

We're getting fleeced. We give up the best player available and 2 firsts. 

I say pass on the Canucks end. 

From a cap standpoint alone NJ rejects this. An thsts not factoring in the fact that Jack just put up 99 points as a 21 year old and has one of the best value contracts in the league. 

3 hours ago, qwijjibo said:

From a cap standpoint alone NJ rejects this. An thsts not factoring in the fact that Jack just put up 99 points as a 21 year old and has one of the best value contracts in the league. 

Actually the fact is Petey is worth a lot more than Jack Hughes by himself. Us adding Boeser and firsts is way over payment. 

A fair trade is Petey for Jack and Luke Hughes. 

• ThereItIs 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 10:48 PM, Jester13 said:

Petey, Willander, Lekkermaki, and a 1st

for

Jack and Luke

Luke hasn't completely proven what he is yet. So once again we're getting fleeced here lol 

Petey is better then Jack. Luke is an NHL Dman at such a young age, but does he steady out at top 4 LD or is he like Quinn and is closer to a #1. Unknown still. 

Lastly we give up 2 higher tier prospects and a 1st. 

Nah. Resign Petey and work to keep Quinn invested in Vancouver (being a captain helps with that). 

7 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Luke hasn't completely proven what he is yet. So once again we're getting fleeced here lol 

Petey is better then Jack. Luke is an NHL Dman at such a young age, but does he steady out at top 4 LD or is he like Quinn and is closer to a #1. Unknown still. 

Lastly we give up 2 higher tier prospects and a 1st. 

Nah. Resign Petey and work to keep Quinn invested in Vancouver (being a captain helps with that). 

Hughes is 2 1/2 years younger and put up almost the same points as Pettersson last seadin. Saying Pettersson is better is debatable now, let alone once Hughes has a couple more seasons under his belt.  Add the fact that he's signed long term to one of the best value contracts in the league and there is literally no reason for NJ to move him for an unsigned Pettersson 

• ThereItIs 1

On 9/17/2023 at 3:27 PM, CanadianDeplorable said:

To New Jersey:

Elias Petterson, Brock Boeser,  and two 1st rounders

To Vancouver:

Jack Hughes, Luke Hughes and a 2nd

Make it so.

Yea lets get a 1 for 1 trade and a legit top 6 and 2 future picks for.... A guy whos played 5 games.... I'm sorry but no thanks

2 hours ago, Canucklehead91 said:

Yea lets get a 1 for 1 trade and a legit top 6 and 2 future picks for.... A guy whos played 5 games.... I'm sorry but no thanks

lol Jack hughes at 8mil for 7 years alone is worth EP and a 1st.. so brock boeser + 1st for luke hughes? easy pass for NJ

JH is better offensively EP is better defensively.. the fact Hughes is 3 years younger and signed to a massive steal contract for the next 7 years.. he's easily worth way more than EP unless he's signed at like 10mil or something.

LH with his upside/potential and the 8 games so far including playoff have looked everything as advertise.. plus the fact he's on team friendly ELC?? JH and LH combines for 9mil.. EP and boeser combines prolly closer to 18-19mil... even if LH runs out of ELC and they sign him to a bridge.. maybe 13-14mil combined.. EP + Brock + 2 1st is not even enough to start the conversation.. the amount of cap space alone is already worth more

On 10/17/2023 at 7:06 PM, qwijjibo said:

Hughes is 2 1/2 years younger and put up almost the same points as Pettersson last seadin. Saying Pettersson is better is debatable now, let alone once Hughes has a couple more seasons under his belt.  Add the fact that he's signed long term to one of the best value contracts in the league and there is literally no reason for NJ to move him for an unsigned Pettersson 

You'd assume it was a trade and sign.   Really this only makes sense for NJ if they are trying to win a cup now.   So looks more like EP, Brock 50% retained , Hronek 50% retained and Kuzmenko, for JHs, LHs and two of what they consider, their worst contracts where Brock and Kuzmenko will go.   This would be a rebuild move for us of course.    And for them, a lot of the pieces to challenge for a cup.    And even then, it likely would require something else - Willander likely and possibly a third party to help further retain on both Brock and Hronek so they can free up cap for the finishing touches before the trade deadline.   Would you do it then?   We'd probably offer Cole, they'd probably counter Hronek.    

Edited by IBatch