Has a team ever had all players +?

I was doing a stats read.  Looked at the teams +/-  All players but Juulsen and Kuzzy are a plus.

Does anyone ever recall any team finishing with every player a +?  I don't ever recall that. 
Checked the web and could not find any stats to confirm or deny any existance of such a team.

Lots of people don't put much stock into the stat, but I think it would be a good story if the team could finish with everyone a +.

Just now, Rocket-68 said:

I would have the the 1970's Montreal Canadiens would have done that so I looked and yes, the 1976 - 1977 team had every skater above 0 on the +/- ... Larry Robinson clocked in at +120 (oh my). Going back a few years before the 1976-1977 team, Montreal Canadiens had a couple of years where two players were -1 and everyone was in the pluses.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/MTL/1977.html

Yup. Winning teams have plus players. Losing teams have minus players. Guys like Dahlin, always a minus, will always be on losing teams. These kinds of players are just losers. Always have been and always will be. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wilbur said:

92/93 Canucks were close.  Only minuses were Stephane Morin (-1 in 1 game) and Ryan Walter (-2 in 25 games).

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/VAN/1993.html

In case anyone was interested in the stats.

Also, it looks like the only minuses on the current team are Kuzy and Donkey both at -1 ... that is a pretty decent team stat. 

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

2 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I would have guessed that the 1970's Montreal Canadiens would have done that so I looked and yes, the 1976 - 1977 team had every skater at 0 or above on the +/- ... Larry Robinson clocked in at +120 (oh my). Going back a few years before the 1976-1977 team, Montreal Canadiens had a couple of years where two players were -1 and everyone was in the pluses.

This was my first thought. A lot of teams are crazy dominant now, but it's really hard to make it clear just how large the gap was between the bottom feeders and the elite teams back in the 70s and 80s. Teams are much more evenly matched now, even when it comes to best vs worst.

Not the best out there, but the 1979-80 Flyers, coached by Quinn, went 35 games in a row without being beaten (25-0-10) and had an amazing 116 points to end the season (more impressive back in the 80s before three-point games). They had two players below 0 who played 2 and 3 games and one other player, John Paddock who was a -4 with 32 games played. Every single forward with 40+ games had at least +6. Four players were +40 or higher and nine players were +30 or higher. One of the greatest teams not to win a Cup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

This was my first thought. A lot of teams are crazy dominant now, but it's really hard to make it clear just how large the gap was between the bottom feeders and the elite teams back in the 70s and 80s. Teams are much more evenly matched now, even when it comes to best vs worst.

Not the best out there, but the 1979-80 Flyers, coached by Quinn, went 35 games in a row without being beaten (25-0-10) and had an amazing 116 points to end the season (more impressive back in the 80s before three-point games). They had two players below 0 who played 2 and 3 games and one other player, John Paddock who was a -4 with 32 games played. Every single forward with 40+ games had at least +6. Four players were +40 or higher and nine players were +30 or higher. One of the greatest teams not to win a Cup.

Even last year's Bruins should be considered one of the best teams not to win.  Maybe if Marchand scored on that breakaway.  Maybe if Boston didn't overload at the deadline. 

tennisgifs-tennis.gif.76872797bb66c56894d2aaa715ea028a.gif

There are only a meagre few players with a minus rating - the worst were Strålman and Renouf at -3.

• Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

Even last year's Bruins should be considered one of the best teams not to win.  Maybe if Marchand scored on that breakaway.  Maybe if Boston didn't overload at the deadline. 

tennisgifs-tennis.gif.76872797bb66c56894d2aaa715ea028a.gif

There are only a meagre few players with a minus rating - the worst were Strålman and Renouf at -3.

Yeah, despite the advantage of the three-point system, their regular season is still one of the best ever. Crazy how it came out of nowhere and then just faded away so fast.

Almost crazier that they're still elite this year.

8 hours ago, Rocket-68 said:

I would have guessed that the 1970's Montreal Canadiens would have done that so I looked and yes, the 1976 - 1977 team had every skater at 0 or above on the +/- ... Larry Robinson clocked in at +120 (oh my). Going back a few years before the 1976-1977 team, Montreal Canadiens had a couple of years where two players were -1 and everyone was in the pluses.

With Big Bird, Savard, Lapointe, Dryden, and Lemaire, Gainey? Yea. I could see them being an all plus player team.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Sativika said:

With Big Bird, Savard, Lapointe, Dryden, and Lemaire, Gainey? Yea. I could see them being an all plus player team.

ya, what made that team stat even more amazing is taking out John Van Boxmeer (D), who only played 4 games recording a +1, the low man on the +/- ladder was Jimmy Roberts at +22.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Cheers 1

14 hours ago, -AJ- said:

70's we're kind of boss.   PHI, well we won't ever see that again.   Quin was something.   PHI was kind of a monster team right until Lindros and Clark had their duel.   70's to almost 2000's.    They haven't come close to getting that magic back since.    Well a little bit with Crosby early on, a few sparks here and there (Girouix) that's about it.   

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, DANJR said:

Thanks for your collective minds.  I would have had no idea where to start to find those stats.
I recall that Philly tear.  Unreal to wrap ones head around.

Here are some great sites for stats:

https://www.quanthockey.com/

https://www.hockey-reference.com/

https://nhl.com/stats/ ... DOH! ... this is an obvious one but still, has interesting information

https://www.hockeydb.com/ ... never used this one so let us know how it goes if you decide to jump in and poke around

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DANJR said:

Thanks for your collective minds.  I would have had no idea where to start to find those stats.
I recall that Philly tear.  Unreal to wrap ones head around.

Well last year the Bruins had an amazing regular season, but 7 minus players, but only 2 of them even semi-regulars. 

bruin.thumb.png.67e3b6197868cf0a03d818291673dd72.png

• Cheers 1