[Proposal] Under the Radar Guys That You Probably Haven't Considered

We've heard all about the Lindholms, the Guentzels, the Buchnevichs, etc.  However, rarely do big acquisitions at the TDL translate into playoff success.  Possibly because it causes a significant shift in the dressing room dynamics.  Instead, I personally hope the Canucks make a couple smaller acquisitions of players that provide solid value over their contract hits. 

Here is a list of my under the radar, cheaper options that could possibly be excellent acquisitions. 

Currently Out of a Playoff Position:

Alex Kerfoot (ARZ) - $3.5M Cap Hit for 1 more year after this one with a mNTC.  6 goals, 26 points in 44 games (pace of 48 points in 82 games).  Would need and want ARZ to retain about $1M on this deal.  Could be our 2C for the remainder of this year, and if at $2.5M, could replace Blueger on the 3rd line next year.  

Michael Carcone (ARZ) - $775k Cap Hit for 1 more year after this one.  15 goals, 20 points in 41 games (pace of 30 goals and 40 points in 82 games).  Excellent value here for a guy that clearly can put the puck in the net.  With such a low cap hit, could add him to our current roster without compromising somewhere else.  My vision here would be to move Mikheyev to the 4th line with Hoglander and Lafferty, and have Carcone and Kuzmenko remain on the 2nd line.

Wild Card Teams:  These guys might be available by the TDL depending on where they are in the standings.  Would be my personal preferences for TDL acquisitions::

Thomas Novak (NAS) - $800k Cap Hit as a pending UFA.  8 goals, 21 points in 35 games (pace of 49 points over 82 games).  Again, excellent value here.  I think most of you have heard me touting this guy as the guy the Canucks should target.  He produces these numbers as a 3C on NAS.  1st or 2nd on Corsi, Fenwick, and xGF% for NAS.  He is pricing himself out of a 3C role on NAS, kinda like Blueger for VAN. 

Daniel Sprong (DET) - $2M Cap Hit as a pending UFA.  12 goals, 30 points in 46 games (pace of 21 goals and 53 points over 82 games).  Another great option as a top 6 winger.  Clearly a capable forward, and on a reasonable cap hit that we could possibly pay a bit more to have DET retain $1M for the remainder of this season.  Again, we could add him into the lineup to have Mikheyev play more defensive duties in a 4th line role.

Would Likely Mean Losing Kuzmenko or Mikheyev due to Cap:

Andrew Copp (DET) - $5.625M for another 3 years after this season.  29 years old.  8 goals, 22 points in 45 games (pace of 15 goals and 40 points over 82 games).  He puts up these numbers playing 3C on DET.  So why would we want him?  I think he's capable of being a 2C with term remaining on a cap friendly deal.  Size? Check. 6'1" 203lbs.  Faceoff Ability?  Check.  52.4% on the draw this year.  Points production?  Check.  History shows he can put up 50+ points if given the right situation.  Playing 3C next to a struggling Rasmussen and Christian Fischer but still on pace for 40 points tells me he's capable of much more.  Pricey to keep this guy as a 3C for DET, so they might be willing to let him go. 

Anyways, there we go.  Several under the radar targets for the Canucks that I feel wouldn't cost an arm and a leg in terms of picks and prospects. 

Thoughts?

Edited by HKSR
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I really like Novak as well. He's got lots of upside, is a great scorer, and is an all-around wicked fit for the squad. Could use someone with a bit more FO experience.

I saw someone mention Bjugstad. Any opinion on him? I haven't watched him all that much, but from what I've read, he's a responsible two-way player, RHC that is decent on the draws, 6'6, 209, $2.1M cap hit. He PKs, blocks, and hits. 

9 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I really like Novak as well. He's got lots of upside, is a great scorer, and is an all-around wicked fit for the squad. Could use someone with a bit more FO experience.

I saw someone mention Bjugstad. Any opinion on him? I haven't watched him all that much, but from what I've read, he's a responsible two-way player, RHC that is decent on the draws, 6'6, 209, $2.1M cap hit. He PKs, blocks, and hits. 

Bjugstad plays top line minutes right now with Schmaltz out.  Never know what ARZ wants to do, but I don't think they'd move Bjugstad.  He's a bit too valuable IMO.  6'6" 209lbs centres that are capable of playing in all situations is a rare commodity.

• Cheers 1

Seeing that Soucy is injured again, it might be safe to assume he's a bit fragile.  We need to look at defensive depth as well this TDL.

Couple under the radar guys to consider here as well:

Zach Bogosian (MIN) - $850k cap hit as a pending UFA.  Has a serious mNTC of a 21 team no trade list, but I think he'd waive to play on a 1st place club and a shot at a Cup.  We know what Bogosian brings.  At 6'3" 226lbs and a RHD, he would be a great depth pickup that could play 3rd pairing minutes and provide some serious nastiness along with our other monster defencemen.  Speaking of monster defencemen.......

....Alex Vlasic (CHI) - 22yo, 6'6" 217lbs monster.  Playing huge minutes (27min the other night!), but a +6 on a bottom feeding CHI roster.  Not sure if CHI would move him, but if they are listening, I'd pay up to get him.  Would be a fixture on our blueline for years.  For this year, he'd be fantastic as depth, and could possibly move into a top 4 role in the future next to a guy like Willander.

Somehow acquiring Novak and Vlasic, and I think we're good to go for this year, and into the future.

• Like 1

My proposals:

To VAN

Novak

To NAS

Mcdonough

2025 2nd Round Pick

Novak is gonna price himself out of a 3C role in NAS.  Pending UFA, NAS gets a solid prospect in Mcdonough and a 2nd round pick.  I'm banking on the fact there likely won't be a massive bidding war for Novak as he's a bit under the radar.

To VAN

Alex Vlasic

To CHI

Danila Klimovich

Akito Hirose

Really hard to judge what CHI may want for a guy like Vlasic (if he's even available).  Might cost more than this, but who knows... I'd give up DPetey for him cuz realistically, Vlasic is already what we would hope for DPetey to become.

Miller-Petey-Boeser

Mikheyev-Novak-Kuzmenko

Garland-Blueger-Joshua

Hoglander-Suter-Lafferty

Depth:  Aman, PDG, Karlsson, etc

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Myers

Vlasic-Cole

Depth: Soucy (if healthy), Juulsen, Friedman, Wolanin, etc

Edited by HKSR

Why would we need another 3rd line center when we already have Suter, Bluegar, and a more than competent Nils Aman?  

I like Novak but would any combination of him, Mikheyev, Suter, or Kuzmenko really move the needle in terms of creating an offensively dangerous 2nd line?

Edited by Jeremy Hronek
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Why would we need another 3rd line center when we already have Suter, Bluegar, and a more than competent Nils Aman?  

What 3C?  I'm identifying guys in a 3C role on other teams that likely have more potential than that. 

Novak for example if coming off a 17 goal, 43 point season in 51 games.  That's 27 goals and 69 points over an 82 game pace.  Not saying that's what he will do, but being able to produce nearly 30 goals and 70 points 1 season ago, but being paid $800k right now is a huge value contract.

We've also seen that Kerfoot and Copp could put up over 50 points in a season as well.  Totally adequate as a 2C.  The way I look at it is we are not taking Suter or Blueger out of the lineup.  We're adding one of these guys and taking Aman (his 2 goals and 6 points) out of the lineup.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

What 3C?  I'm identifying guys in a 3C role on other teams that likely have more potential than that. 

Novak for example if coming off a 17 goal, 43 point season in 51 games.  That's 27 goals and 69 points over an 82 game pace.  Not saying that's what he will do, but being able to produce nearly 30 goals and 70 points 1 season ago, but being paid $800k right now is a huge value contract.

We've also seen that Kerfoot and Copp could put up over 50 points in a season as well.  Totally adequate as a 2C.  The way I look at it is we are not taking Suter or Blueger out of the lineup.  We're adding one of these guys and taking Aman (his 2 goals and 6 points) out of the lineup.

Got it. 😎. Sorry I was in the middle of editing my previous post as you responded.  I added a bit more thoughts.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I like Novak but would any combination of him, Mikheyev, Suter, or Kuzmenko really move the needle in terms of creating an offensively dangerous 2nd line?

I think Novak would excel given more offensive minutes instead of 3rd line duties.  Clearly he's capable of more given his production last year.

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I think Novak would excel given more offensive minutes instead of 3rd line duties.  Clearly he's capable of more given his production last year.

I don’t doubt that Novak would excel with more offensive minutes.  What I do doubt however is that Novak + any combination of Suter, Mikheyev, Hoglander, and Kuzmenko would be a formidable second line (and hence, making it somewhat unnecessary to acquire him).

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I don’t doubt that Novak would excel with more offensive minutes.  What I do doubt however is that Novak + any combination of Suter, Mikheyev, Hoglander, and Kuzmenko would be a formidable second line (and hence, making it somewhat unnecessary to acquire him).

With that reasoning we really shouldn't be acquiring anyone then lol

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

With that reasoning we really shouldn't be acquiring anyone then lol

I just don’t think we should be acquiring forwards (unless the plan is to break up the Lotto line).  

Even Auston Matthews would be hard pressed to create a formidable second line with Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Suter, and Hoglander as linemate options.   

On top of that, the Canucks are getting consistent secondary scoring despite their 2nd line impotence and so I don’t see a huge need in trying to acquire another top 6 forward.

If it was up to me, I’d try and get a legit #2A/#3 calibre dman to insulate ourselves if Quinn Hughes were to get injured for a long period of time.  

11 minutes ago, Dom said:

I don't see why the Preds would trade Novak when they are in a fight for the WC spot. 

That's why I mentioned it depends on how things look by the TDL.  Technically if ARZ wins the 2 games in hand, NAS is out of a playoff position.  We'll have a better idea in another month and a bit...

I really wanted Kerfoot in the off-season a while ago but Novak is decent too and well loved, the Preds will surely hang on to him though. Plugging a 40-50 point center into our midst would be nice but Suter and Blueger are kind of already those guys. We ideally need a top-6 guy like Lindholm, maybe Monahan at a stretch, or a decent winger like say Crouse. Problem is we'll have to give up a roster piece of similar cap value for these guys and we don't really have anyone on our team we'd want to lose to mess up our current chemistry.

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I really wanted Kerfoot in the off-season a while ago but Novak is decent too and well loved, the Preds will surely hang on to him though. Plugging a 40-50 point center into our midst would be nice but Suter and Blueger are kind of already those guys. We ideally need a top-6 guy like Lindholm, maybe Monahan at a stretch, or a decent winger like say Crouse. Problem is we'll have to give up a roster piece of similar cap value for these guys and we don't really have anyone on our team we'd want to lose to mess up our current chemistry.

I think that's the part where a lot of fans are getting confused (no disrespect btw).  We're not replacing Suter or Blueger.  We're basically replacing Aman and moving Suter back down to 4C.  So when you replace Aman's 2 goals and 6 points with a 20 goal and 40 to 50 point centre, we've vastly improved.

8 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I just don’t think we should be acquiring forwards (unless the plan is to break up the Lotto line).  

Even Auston Matthews would be hard pressed to create a formidable second line with Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Suter, and Hoglander as linemate options.   

On top of that, the Canucks are getting consistent secondary scoring despite their 2nd line impotence and so I don’t see a huge need in trying to acquire another top 6 forward.

If it was up to me, I’d try and get a legit #2A/#3 calibre dman to insulate ourselves if Quinn Hughes were to get injured for a long period of time.  

I dunno, I feel like Kuzmenko is starting to heat up.  Think about how many shots Suter has missed from direct feeds off Kuzmenko.  If our 2nd line is impotent, we can't just walk into the playoffs and expect to go far rolling 3 effective lines.  We need every line contributing.

Anyways, I do agree we need another defenceman, but maybe not at that level.  A #2A/#3 would be very expensive both from a cap and trade assets perspective.  I'd rather find another solid 3rd pair guy for depth.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:03 PM, HKSR said:

Alex Vlasic (CHI) - 22yo, 6'6" 217lbs monster.  Playing huge minutes (27min the other night!), but a +6 on a bottom feeding CHI roster.  Not sure if CHI would move him, but if they are listening, I'd pay up to get him.  Would be a fixture on our blueline for years.  For this year, he'd be fantastic as depth, and could possibly move into a top 4 role in the future next to a guy like Willander.

On 1/22/2024 at 12:11 PM, HKSR said:

To VAN

Alex Vlasic

To CHI

Danila Klimovich

Akito Hirose

Really hard to judge what CHI may want for a guy like Vlasic (if he's even available).  Might cost more than this, but who knows... I'd give up DPetey for him cuz realistically, Vlasic is already what we would hope for DPetey to become.

Yeah I don't see at all why Chicago would move him. You described him bang on from what I've heard too. A young dude dumped into the fire playing top 4 mins on a bottom feeder and is still looking stable. With his massive size and age and I think he becomes really expensive. Don't get me wrong I'd love to get him and at the cost of a couple Abby guys I'd do it all day.  

But likely something like D-Petey and maybe our 1st or 2nd this year. I wouldn't be surprised if even that got a no from CHI. I guess his value is what a 22 year old top 4 DMan that's huge would be. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HKSR said:

I dunno, I feel like Kuzmenko is starting to heat up.  Think about how many shots Suter has missed from direct feeds off Kuzmenko.  If our 2nd line is impotent, we can't just walk into the playoffs and expect to go far rolling 3 effective lines.  We need every line contributing.

Anyways, I do agree we need another defenceman, but maybe not at that level.  A #2A/#3 would be very expensive both from a cap and trade assets perspective.  I'd rather find another solid 3rd pair guy for depth.

I feel like we are already stacked with #4-#7 calibre dmen in Myers, Cole, Zadorov, Soucy, and Juulsen.  While all of these defensemen are more than capable of playing alongside Hughes or Hronek (incase of injury to one of Hughes/Hronek), I don’t think such a pairing would “tilt the ice” like Hughes-Hronek currently do.  

That’s why I think we need another #2A/#3 calibre guy so that we could still ice an elite defensive pairing just in case one of Hughes/Hronek got injured.  

In 2019 - many hockey pundits claimed that our team was too dependent on Jacob Markstrom.  In 2024 - I would argue that our team would no longer be elite if Hughes got injured for an extended period of time.  

As a result, I would absolutely be willing to consider moving assets for a 2A/3 calibre dman. Maybe Chychrun would be overkill but perhaps Tanev could be had at a reasonable price?

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

I feel like we are already stacked with #4-#7 calibre dmen in Myers, Cole, Zadorov, Soucy, and Juulsen.  While all of these defensemen are more than capable of playing alongside Hughes or Hronek (incase of injury to one of Hughes/Hronek), I don’t think such a pairing would “tilt the ice” like Hughes-Hronek currently do.  

That’s why I think we need another #2A/#3 calibre guy so that we could still ice an elite defensive pairing just in case one of Hughes/Hronek got injured.  

In 2019 - many hockey pundits claimed that our team was too dependent on Jacob Markstrom.  In 2024 - I would argue that our team would no longer be elite if Hughes got injured for an extended period of time.  

As a result, I would absolutely be willing to consider moving assets for a 2A/3 calibre dman. Maybe Chychrun would be overkill but perhaps Tanev could be had at a reasonable price?

We would need cap space though.  Where do we subtract from to fit in a 2A/3 calibre defenceman?  Are we creating a hole elsewhere to fit in an insurance policy?

Just now, Jeremy Hronek said:

I would do Myers++

I'm not sure I would... he was a dominant force the last time we were in the playoffs.  I guess it depends on who you get in return.  Chychrun wouldn't do it for me though... not for the cost involved.

• Cheers 1

On 1/22/2024 at 9:38 AM, HKSR said:

We've heard all about the Lindholms, the Guentzels, the Buchnevichs, etc.  However, rarely do big acquisitions at the TDL translate into playoff success.  Possibly because it causes a significant shift in the dressing room dynamics.  Instead, I personally hope the Canucks make a couple smaller acquisitions of players that provide solid value over their contract hits. 

Here is a list of my under the radar, cheaper options that could possibly be excellent acquisitions. 

Currently Out of a Playoff Position:

Alex Kerfoot (ARZ) - $3.5M Cap Hit for 1 more year after this one with a mNTC.  6 goals, 26 points in 44 games (pace of 48 points in 82 games).  Would need and want ARZ to retain about $1M on this deal.  Could be our 2C for the remainder of this year, and if at $2.5M, could replace Blueger on the 3rd line next year.  

Michael Carcone (ARZ) - $775k Cap Hit for 1 more year after this one.  15 goals, 20 points in 41 games (pace of 30 goals and 40 points in 82 games).  Excellent value here for a guy that clearly can put the puck in the net.  With such a low cap hit, could add him to our current roster without compromising somewhere else.  My vision here would be to move Mikheyev to the 4th line with Hoglander and Lafferty, and have Carcone and Kuzmenko remain on the 2nd line.

Wild Card Teams:  These guys might be available by the TDL depending on where they are in the standings.  Would be my personal preferences for TDL acquisitions::

Thomas Novak (NAS) - $800k Cap Hit as a pending UFA.  8 goals, 21 points in 35 games (pace of 49 points over 82 games).  Again, excellent value here.  I think most of you have heard me touting this guy as the guy the Canucks should target.  He produces these numbers as a 3C on NAS.  1st or 2nd on Corsi, Fenwick, and xGF% for NAS.  He is pricing himself out of a 3C role on NAS, kinda like Blueger for VAN. 

Daniel Sprong (DET) - $2M Cap Hit as a pending UFA.  12 goals, 30 points in 46 games (pace of 21 goals and 53 points over 82 games).  Another great option as a top 6 winger.  Clearly a capable forward, and on a reasonable cap hit that we could possibly pay a bit more to have DET retain $1M for the remainder of this season.  Again, we could add him into the lineup to have Mikheyev play more defensive duties in a 4th line role.

Would Likely Mean Losing Kuzmenko or Mikheyev due to Cap:

Andrew Copp (DET) - $5.625M for another 3 years after this season.  29 years old.  8 goals, 22 points in 45 games (pace of 15 goals and 40 points over 82 games).  He puts up these numbers playing 3C on DET.  So why would we want him?  I think he's capable of being a 2C with term remaining on a cap friendly deal.  Size? Check. 6'1" 203lbs.  Faceoff Ability?  Check.  52.4% on the draw this year.  Points production?  Check.  History shows he can put up 50+ points if given the right situation.  Playing 3C next to a struggling Rasmussen and Christian Fischer but still on pace for 40 points tells me he's capable of much more.  Pricey to keep this guy as a 3C for DET, so they might be willing to let him go. 

Anyways, there we go.  Several under the radar targets for the Canucks that I feel wouldn't cost an arm and a leg in terms of picks and prospects. 

Thoughts?

I would much rather an under the radar trade compared to a big splash that requires a bunch of assets. Canucks have a good foundation, need hard working/gritty 2C/3C and defensive depth more than anything. 

Edited by NoCupSyndrome
  • Like 1