Our biggest possible subtraction next season...

Obviously with the team and players coming together and having career seasons we are bound to have collateral damage for next season. We are well aware the list is a long one with almost a 3rd of our team (Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Cole, Myers, Zadorov and Desmith) heading towards UFA status. Obviously with Petey and Hronek's deals there isn't enough money for the lot of them and painful decisions will have to be made.

These things are the byproduct of having a great team in a salary cap environment. In that sense I think most of us have reserved ourselves to the fact it is going to happen. It's actually quite surreal to be a canucks fan with something to lose, besides the games that we became used to over the past 10 years.

There is of course another shoe that can and most certainly will at some point whether it be this off-season or next. This shoe has the potential to kick harder than an aging defenseman, a savvy backup or a quality grinder.

The proverbial shoe would be our rock star assistant coach Adam Foote. With Tocchet being a "shoe" in to be top 3 (if not win) the Jack Adams the spotlight will be on the vancouver model. What better way for a struggling team to improve than to take the coaches right hand man of a team that was struggling mightily and improved dramatically. 

Footes fingerprints are all over the improved play of the entire canucks d-core who are in my opinion the biggest factor in our early season success. To me it not a question of if he becomes an NHL head coach but how soon.

The actual questions would be...

How replaceable do you think he would be?

Could Gonchar take the reigns full time and keep the ball rolling? Do you feel Tocchet is the straw that stirs the drink and losing an assistant won't be a major issue? Maybe you think he isn't ready for a head coaching position yet?

• Vintage 2

3 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Obviously with the team and players coming together and having career seasons we are bound to have collateral damage for next season. We are well aware the list is a long one with almost a 3rd of our team (Blueger, Joshua, Lafferty, Cole, Myers, Zadorov and Desmith) heading towards UFA status. Obviously with Petey and Hronek's deals there isn't enough money for the lot of them and painful decisions will have to be made.

These things are the byproduct of having a great team in a salary cap environment. In that sense I think most of us have reserved ourselves to the fact it is going to happen. It's actually quite surreal to be a canucks fan with something to lose, besides the games that we became used to over the past 10 years.

There is of course another shoe that can and most certainly will at some point whether it be this off-season or next. This shoe has the potential to kick harder than an aging defenseman, a savvy backup or a quality grinder.

The proverbial shoe would be our rock star assistant coach Adam Foote. With Tocchet being a "shoe" in to be top 3 (if not win) the Jack Adams the spotlight will be on the vancouver model. What better way for a struggling team to improve than to take the coaches right hand man of a team that was struggling mightily and improved dramatically. 

Footes fingerprints are all over the improved play of the entire canucks d-core who are in my opinion the biggest factor in our early season success. To me it not a question of if he becomes an NHL head coach but how soon.

The actual questions would be...

How replaceable do you think he would be?

Could Gonchar take the reigns full time and keep the ball rolling? Do you feel Tocchet is the straw that stirs the drink and losing an assistant won't be a major issue? Maybe you think he isn't ready for a head coaching position yet?

I think Foote’s a while away from being a head coach to be honest. Overseeing the defense is one thing, overseeing the entire staff is another. I think he needs a little bit more time before any organization is offering him a head coaching job. 

The UFA’s to me are the bigger deal. All the players that have an opportunity to go elsewhere has been a big part of the additions to the current version of the Canucks. For me, in order to bring if not all of them back, you’d need to trade Kuzmenko and his 5.5M cap hit on the team. But if I had to let go a player or two out of the list above - it’ll probably be Joshua, Cole, and Myers. Bring back Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov and DeSmith - unless Silovs has shown that he deserves to be in the NHL as a backup tender. If he’s not ready, you gotta bring DeSmith who has been a reliable backup; I’m not sure if he’ll ever be a starter in the league, you’d think that if any organization thinks he could do it, he would’ve had the opportunity to be able to do that by now.  

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Foote’s a while away from being a head coach to be honest. Overseeing the defense is one thing, overseeing the entire staff is another. I think he needs a little bit more time before any organization is offering him a head coaching job. 

The UFA’s to me are the bigger deal. All the players that have an opportunity to go elsewhere has been a big part of the additions to the current version of the Canucks. For me, in order to bring if not all of them back, you’d need to trade Kuzmenko and his 5.5M cap hit on the team. But if I had to let go a player or two out of the list above - it’ll probably be Joshua, Cole, and Myers. Bring back Blueger, Lafferty, Zadorov and DeSmith - unless Silovs has shown that he deserves to be in the NHL as a backup tender. If he’s not ready, you gotta bring DeSmith who has been a reliable backup; I’m not sure if he’ll ever be a starter in the league, you’d think that if any organization thinks he could do it, he would’ve had the opportunity to be able to do that by now.  

I think Myers, if he's $4m.or under, has to come back.  That's cheap for the role he plays and the Ufa market for rhd is very thin.

I like Cole, but he's expendable, imo.  In fact, Juuls is a very similar player and is improving with every game 

I'd also prioritize Blueger, Joshua and Zad.  They need to keep that line together

Just now, stawns said:

I think Myers, if he's $4m.or under, has to come back.  That's cheap for the role he plays and the Ufa market for rhd is very thin.

I like Cole, but he's expendable, imo.  In fact, Juuls is a very similar player and is improving with every game 

I'd also prioritize Blueger, Joshua and Zad.  They need to keep that line together

You don’t think Myers would stay at home in a Canucks uniform for 3.5M? 

Yeah, I like Juulsen, and he’s been improving like you’ve said. He’s cheap, good depth, unless Cole comes back for cheap. 

I’d love for all three of those guys to come back and Lafferty, but how do you afford those guys without unloading a contract? Garland and Kuzmenko are the prime candidates to off-load, but Garland on that 3rd line is really the guy who makes that third line go.

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

You don’t think Myers would stay at home in a Canucks uniform for 3.5M? 

Yeah, I like Juulsen, and he’s been improving like you’ve said. He’s cheap, good depth, unless Cole comes back for cheap. 

I’d love for all three of those guys to come back and Lafferty, but how do you afford those guys without unloading a contract? Garland and Kuzmenko are the prime candidates to off-load, but Garland on that 3rd line is really the guy who makes that third line go.

I could see him at $3.5 if he gets some term.  Despite the vitriol directed at him this year, he's had a great season and could probably get his current deal on the ufa market, or close to it.  The flip side is, he'd probably have to sacrifice the chance to win

I absolutely love what Joshua has brought to the team this year. Most improved player for sure. But he's playing so well, he's probably pricing himself off the team. If he scores 20, which looks likely, and hits and forechecks and play well defensively, that makes him a $4M+ player, does it not? Would love to have him back at $3M.

• Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm hoping that would be the case for our sake. Mind you he was the avalanches defensive coach for 7 years and a head coach in Kelowna for 2 years so it's not like he walked off the street. I could definitely see interest coming to a boiling point if we went on a deep run or had another great season next year.

Just to play devil's advocate, would anyone sell high on Boeser?  Obviously his offensive resurgence has been great, but he's still not overly noticeable when he's not scoring and even the scoring has cooled off a bit.  Further to that, once he's hit 30 or even 40, hes going to be unaffordable to bring back when his current deal is up

• Like 2

Just now, Coryberg said:

I'm hoping that would be the case for our sake. Mind you he was the avalanches defensive coach for 7 years and a head coach in Kelowna for 2 years so it's not like he walked off the street. I could definitely see interest coming to a boiling point if we went on a deep run or had another great season next year.

As an okanagan resident, I can say his time in Kelowna did not go well

8 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I absolutely love what Joshua has brought to the team this year. Most improved player for sure. But he's playing so well, he's probably pricing himself off the team. If he scores 20, which looks likely, and hits and forechecks and play well defensively, that makes him a $4M+ player, does it not? Would love to have him back at $3M.

I think your ceiling for DJ is $3m, but maybe give him term

I do wonder if Foote even wants to be a head coach or is suited to the role. He clearly specializes in defense, so maybe he's best suited as an assistant coach specializing in the defense. Sure, he won't ever win a Jack Adams in that role, but truthfully, the Jack Adams should really be more awarded to the whole coaching staff, not just the head coach.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

Just to play devil's advocate, would anyone sell high on Boeser?  Obviously his offensive resurgence has been great, but he's still not overly noticeable when he's not scoring and even the scoring has cooled off a bit.  Further to that, once he's hit 30 or even 40, hes going to be unaffordable to bring back when his current deal is up

If it came to it, the time to sell him would be next years deadline as a rental to some team since he’s a UFA after that season. But I think we’d really have to play like crap next year for that to happen. Not to mention the friendship he and Petey have would probably mess with contract negotiations if Brock got traded. 
But then again we don’t really have many true Top 6 forwards on the roster other than Miller, Petey, Boeser so unless that changes I don’t think we would trade him.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm thinking that lekkerimäki's development goes hand and hand with brock. If he can prove that he is ready for the NHL at some point next season than you would have to look to move brock at the deadline.

This is assuming that we aren't re-signing brock. I would advise against it of it was a long term deal, his foot speed doesn't translate to late 30's production.

1 minute ago, Coryberg said:

I'm thinking that lekkerimäki's development goes hand and hand with brock. If he can prove that he is ready for the NHL at some point next season than you would have to look to move brock at the deadline.

This is assuming that we aren't re-signing brock. I would advise against it of it was a long term deal, his foot speed doesn't translate to late 30's production.

Agree on all counts.  Though I'm being realistic, I'm very curious to see how Lek does in Abby when his season is over.

Just now, stawns said:

Agree on all counts.  Though I'm being realistic, I'm very curious to see how Lek does in Abby when his season is over.

Yeah with his slight build that might be optimistic at best. There is of course the pending OEL cap penalty peaking as boesers deal expires. Might be tough to keep him even if we wanted to

6 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

Yeah with his slight build that might be optimistic at best. There is of course the pending OEL cap penalty peaking as boesers deal expires. Might be tough to keep him even if we wanted to

I'm not overly worried about Lek that way.  What I see in Lek is that same desire to be physical that Petey has.  I don't see fear in his game at all.  

Like said above Foote's time in Kelowna as a head coach didn't go well so not sure what the demand for him to be a head coach will be.  It's something I wouldn't be too worried about.

If he did go, it's hard to say without seeing how all the coaches work together.  It would suck to lose him as things seem to be working well, but ultimately everyone is probably replaceable, just gotta have faith the current management/coaching team can find a suitable replacement.

We do have a lot of UFAs and this team will likely be quite different next season. I trust PA however, to keep us competitive. I'd like to see Cole come back and hopefully transition to a coaching role for us when he eventually retires. 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Cole is also pushing 35. I feel a cheaper and younger replacement will be available. 

The Vancouver model? Vancouver just finally has a bit of depth at all positions and a coach staff implementing solid systems, dunno if I'd call that a model. I'd be a little surprised if any of our coaches left this quickly too, they haven't been around long. Maybe Foote could be a head coach down the line, but I don't think it'd be sooner than later. 

Foote was announced as an assistant coach on Jan 22nd, 2023, pretty sure it's his first NHL assistant coach gig too despite having worked as a defensive coach for the Avs in the past. 

As for UFA's, the cost of being a good team who doesn't win a championship is players wanting to get paid, on some level it is what it is. There's a solid chance our depth takes a hit next season though due to cap reasons, management may have to integrate some of our RFA prospects. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jim McMahon said:

Cole is also pushing 35. I feel a cheaper and younger replacement will be available. 

He is already pushing 35 (4 weeks away).

That being said he is a solid top 4 right now. His foot speed is as good as it has every been, he keeps good care of himself. No reason to believe he doesn't have another 2-3 years left in a 3rd pairing role. I would re-up him at 2x2 in a heartbeat.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The Vancouver model? Vancouver just finally has a bit of depth at all positions and a coach staff implementing solid systems, dunno if I'd call that a model. I'd be a little surprised if any of our coaches left this quickly too, they haven't been around long. Maybe Foote could be a head coach down the line, but I don't think it'd be sooner than later. 

Foote was announced as an assistant coach on Jan 22nd, 2023, pretty sure it's his first NHL assistant coach gig too despite having worked as a defensive coach for the Avs in the past. 

As for UFA's, the cost of being a good team who doesn't win a championship is players wanting to get paid, on some level it is what it is. There's a solid chance our depth takes a hit next season though due to cap reasons, management may have to integrate some of our RFA prospects. 

I think Bains, Karlsson and podz are ready for NHL duty.........whether it's in van or not remains to be seen.  I might throw woo in there as well 

Just now, Coryberg said:

He is already pushing 35 (4 weeks away).

That being said he is a solid top 4 right now. His foot speed is as good as it has every been, he keeps good care of himself. No reason to believe he doesn't have another 2-3 years left in a 3rd pairing role. I would re-up him at 2x2 in a heartbeat.

If he comes cheap then yes. He’s reliable just takes some dumb penalties. Not at crucial times like Myers. 

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The model would be taking a talented team that is underperforming, improving the backend and introducing structure. There is never a shortage of underperformed teams in the NHL, those also happen to be the teams who are looking for new coaches.