All the wise asses who hyped the LA Kings pre collapse

There was a point before Christmas that the LA Kings were the only team saving the wise-asses from admitting that the Canucks were the best in the west. 

Thomas Drance, JFresh, Mike from Surrey and Patrick Johnston were all upselling the Kings over Vancouver before Xmas. As seen here right at the start of the video. (PJ is alright. He engages with fans on Twitter. Nothing personal with him) 

Edited by Blue
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Cam Talbot was on cloud nine in November/December, and now he's fallen back down to earth.  

The general consensus of Kings fans is that they're seeing their current archrivals Edmonton and thinking what their team could do with a coaching replacement.  I keep seeing #FireTodd.  Not unlike the Oilers, LA is clearly able to win games, but they've dug themselves into a giant hole with no way out.

6 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

I'm not convinced the Canucks won't go on an extended losing streak still this season. They have had a lot of things going their way so far.

The primary concerns of the Kings right now stem from their goaltending, and their coaching.  McLellan has been coach for 5 years.  They are using Cam Talbot as their starting goalie.  For us to have the same problems as the Kings, Tocchet would have to lose the room or our defence/goaltending would have to start sucking.

Knock on wood, of course... but a lot of bad things would have to happen at the same time.  Unlikely.

• Upvote 1

Kings need a longer term solution in net, but I wouldn't count them out just yet. They've been on a helluva slide, but they've also shown they're capable of going on winning runs. 

Lot of season left, I still think they make the playoffs. Still wouldn't wanna face em round 1 if they can nab a tender like Saros. 

With all these streaks, dips, etc it just seems the NHL, this year more than ever, is closer to parity than ever.  Mainly probably due to the flat cap for so long.  But when parity is the way it is it advantages and disadvantages are magnified.  The Kings were flying high when they're games weren't clustered and some key older players had rest (Talbot, Kopitar, Doughty).  Now that the schedule is more condensed, it's just enough to make the difference in these games.  Similar story with the Oilers.  The Canucks have gone through condensed portions of their schedule, and not only survived but thrived, mainly due to staying healthy and quality of competition.  Sure they played many good teams, but overall, the tougher competition is ahead, not behind.  It'll be interesting to see how they do as the quality of competition rises.  It will make the difference between winning the division or not.

It's going to be a crazy race to the finish and playoffs this year.  It is sooooo wide open and the Canucks have a legit chance which is crazy to think considering where they were last year.  It's too early to worry about Edmonton.  Obviously they're riding high now, but they have a crazy stretch in the schedule over the last 2 weeks of February (if I remember correctly).  They are capable of running roughshod through the playoffs, but they are also capable of playing sub .300 hockey for a significant stretch.

I've had enough of the PDO nonsense. Just watch the games. You want bet on regression, go to Playnow.com and fill your boots.

Let me know how betting against the Canucks goes at the end of the season. If you make a stack of money, congrats.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I think what LA failed to realize is that Cam Talbot is 36 now and probably can't handle a starter's workload anymore. They probably overplayed him and now he's fatigued. He's only recorded a save percentage over .900 once in his last 6 games. Probably not their only issue at the moment, but a pretty big one.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

February will be the test:

Wait ... I thought January was the test after Christmas break.

The long road trip was supposed to be the test.

December was also supposed to be the test, too.

People said November was the test. 

October was also supposed to be the test to get off to a good start. 😉

Edit: If there is any month that's the test, it's this one with Boston, Winnipeg, L.A..

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I think this is still proof that we need to be careful with what we say though. While LA's fallen from grace, it was only a month ago these guys were praising that team. Another month could go by and LA could be back to winning.

I also would hate to see the same thing happen to us.

• Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Wait ... I thought January was the test after Christmas break.

The long road trip was supposed to be the test.

December was also supposed to be the test, too.

People said November was the test. 

October was also supposed to be the test to get off to a good start. 😉

Yes, and we aced those tests, and need to be ready for the next tests😀

• Cheers 1

Just now, Ballisticsports said:

Yes, and we aced those tests, and need to be ready for the next tests😀

True ...

BUT ...

The test is singular ... tests is plural.

People have been talking about "the test".

If only they said tests back in October, we wouldn't be having this. 😉

• ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

True ...

BUT ...

The test is singular ... tests is plural.

People have been talking about "the test".

If only they said tests back in October, we wouldn't be having this. 😉

Meh, let's just be real about this. The term "test" is a never-ending goal post movement. lol

2 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Meh ... My original post was meant as a joke and for levity. Nothing more. Lol

Haha, sorry for bringing a "level of realism" to something that should have been light.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

I dislike the Oil as much as the next guy but you know they have not allowed more than 2 goals in 15 straight games right?

By getting lucky.  They have an ECHLer, a PWHLer, and three AHLers on D.  They are not a good hockey team and will get exposed in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1