The Whitecaps and MLS thread

19 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

The Houston/Whitecaps game is on tomorrow (Wednesday) but is only available on Apple.

However, the Miami/Toronto game will be on TSN at 4:30.  A chance to see Messi in action.  Assuming he plays.  Which hasn't yet been determined.

Who? :classic_huh:

A bit off topic. I got the chance to go to a Barca game on Saturday night. Their home games are being played at the site of the ‘92 Summer Olympics, while their brand new stadium is being built. What a show Lewandowski put on for the faithful. 5-0 over Real Betis. Just noticed a Euro thread, sorry!

Edited by Johngould21
  • Thanks 1

Houston 4 Vancouver 1

Not surprising that they lost.  Houston is a decent team who play very well at home (10-2-3).  The scoreline is a bit unsettling.  But nothing they can't bounce back from.

So six games left and who knows what's going to happen.  Off hand I'd say they have two winnable games in DC and Colorado.  

The other four could be a problem - at home for St Louis (first in the West), Seattle (second in the West), LAFC (third in the West) and away in Salt Lake (always a difficult place to play).

The way the standings are bunched up, the Caps could finish anywhere between second and missing the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Colorado/Whitecaps game is on TSN on Wednesday at 6:30pm.

Also on Wednesday, the Campeones Cup (which pits last season's MLS champion against last season's Mexican champion) between LAFC and Tigres is on Apple's MLS Season Ticket at 8pm.

Also on Wednesday, Miami plays Houston in the final of the US Open Cup (basically, the American championship tournament) at 5:30pm.  I have no idea where you can watch this.

• Thanks 2

Colorado 2 Vancouver 2

The three points were there for the taking.  But the Whitecaps, polite visitors that they are, only took one.  Could turn out to be an important point.

Have to wait and see what happened with Gauld who left the game early in the second half with a reported "foot contusion".

Vancouver plays DC in Vancouver on Saturday.  Win that and they'll be in a good position to make the playoffs.

• Cheers 1

Disappointing not to get three points against DC, but I think we have to be pretty happy with the 'Caps hanging in playoff position, after so many away games....

The good news: 2 of the final three games are at home

The bad news: They play the top three teams in the Western conference

• Cheers 1

TSN picked the right game to broadcast....against the top team in the West, the 'Caps absolutely dominated. In fact, the 3-nil final flattered the visitors. 

To make it even sweeter, coupled with the loss by Minnesota, this clinches a playoff berth for Vancouver.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

TSN picked the right game to broadcast....against the top team in the West, the 'Caps absolutely dominated. In fact, the 3-nil final flattered the visitors. 

To make it even sweeter, coupled with the loss by Minnesota, this clinches a playoff berth for Vancouver.

It was a nice win but, to be fair, St Louis wasn't really playing for anything.  They've got first place in the West sewed up.  They started their back up goalie and didn't play one of their DPs until the second half - presumably to give him a rest.  We'll get a better idea on how things currently stand on Saturday when the Caps play Seattle.

As for the playoffs - yes, it's good that they've made it into the playoffs.  But I'm just not feeling it.   It's like we're going through the motions.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Caps won a playoff series.  But does anyone really think this team is going to seriously challenge for the MLS Cup?  Because I don't.

But it was nice to see them win. 

• Thanks 1

Seattle 0  Vancouver 0

Vancouver escapes Seattle with a point.  Seattle was the dominant team but couldn't put the game away.  Tough luck, Sounders.

One of Takaoka's better games, I thought.

So it's on to Decision Day on October 21st.   I've read that, regardless of what happens on that day, the Caps can finish no worse than 7th.  Which means they will avoid the play-in game between the 8th and 9th place teams.

Looking at the standings, it would seem that, if everything breaks right, the Caps could finish in the top four and thus host a playoff round.

• Thanks 2

On 10/7/2023 at 10:02 PM, UnkNuk said:

Seattle 0  Vancouver 0

Vancouver escapes Seattle with a point.  Seattle was the dominant team but couldn't put the game away.  Tough luck, Sounders.

One of Takaoka's better games, I thought.

So it's on to Decision Day on October 21st.   I've read that, regardless of what happens on that day, the Caps can finish no worse than 7th.  Which means they will avoid the play-in game between the 8th and 9th place teams.

Looking at the standings, it would seem that, if everything breaks right, the Caps could finish in the top four and thus host a playoff round.

Who would you like the Caps playoff opponent to be? I wouldn’t mind staying away from playing Houston. RSL would be more ideal matchup imo. But what says you @UnkNuk?

4 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

Who would you like the Caps playoff opponent to be? I wouldn’t mind staying away from playing Houston. RSL would be more ideal matchup imo. But what says you @UnkNuk?

The first round of the playoffs (after the one-game play-in between the 8th and 9th place teams) is a three game series.

If the Caps don't get home field advantage in that series, I don't think it matters who they play - they'll probably lose.

Should they get home field advantage in that first round, and based on their regular season performance, I'd say Portland.

We don't want anything to do with St. Louis or LAFC.  They lost both games they played against both RSL and San Jose.  They lost and tied against both Dallas and Kansas.  They split with Houston.  They were 1-1-1 against Seattle.  And they were two and one against Portland. 

So Portland it is.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the standings, it appears as though they would have finished 6th even if Gauld had scored on that late penalty and the 'Caps had hung on to win....

50 points would have tied them with RSL, but they would have had one fewer in the win column....

The only thing it might have done is given them a bit more confidence for the return trip to LA....

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, RupertKBD said:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but looking at the standings, it appears as though they would have finished 6th even if Gauld had scored on that late penalty and the 'Caps had hung on to win....

You're right.  And LAFC would have still finished 3rd.

• Thanks 1